- Text Size +
She had been scurrying about the house since it happened. Everyday she had given blood (although it was not necessary) since she had the same blood type as he did. If he wouldn’t have decided to do the electric on the house instead of a real electrician doing it, he would still be fine. They had put him in intensive care to make sure he would be getting enough fluids and that his burns weren’t giving him too much pain. That night, she was able to see him. She drove to the hospital as soon as she had gotten word. She had entered the hospital and went up to the main desk.

“Can you help me find a room?”

“Name?” the receptionist said, as dry as an old piece of bread.

“Richardson”

“He is in the IC Room 2.”

“Thanks”

Alison rushed down the crowded hall. She felt sad looking at all the families who waited for news on how that one special person in their lives was doing. She saw the room and entered. There was a girl with her leg burned in a real deep sleep. She stood in awe at how the girl could sleep with that much pain. The second was her husband of 3 years. He looked dazed as he lay there with bandaged arms. His head was also in a wrap, making it appear he had a mohawk. She laughed at the sight of him. He opened his eyes slightly.

“What are you laughing at?” he croaked with a grin.

“You! God Kevin! Don’t ever scare me like that again! I’ve been so worried about you.” She sat beside him and held his hand. Tears rolled down her face. He took his hand from hers and placed it on her cheek, rubbing away the tears with his thumb.

“I was scared too. I was scared I wouldn’t see you again. Oh and thanks for giving like...I don’t know 20 gallons of blood?”

They both laughed. They just stared deep into each other’s souls. She gave him a gentle kiss.

“That’s it. I’m leaving it all to you. You call the electrician for power, phone company for the phone and you get to do the plumbing all by yourself.”

“What? I don’t think so! You’ll be doing the plumbing Mister! That’s what I married you for.”

“What else?”

“Hmm... I guess we’ll find out on that one.”

They held each other tight. Kevin could possibly think of tougher times but she would always be there. At the moment, he thought of something dreadful. What if he got his hair caught on fire? He gently rubbed his head.