- Text Size +
He couldn’t believe it. It happened all so fast. First they were coming home from her brother’s party and now they were here. He had been here too many times and was sick of the smell and colors. He could still remember…

Driving down a two-lane expressway, his wife was talking about what a great time she had.

“Jerry was really surprised wasn’t she?”

“Yeah I thought it was great.”

“Have anything planed tonight?”

“ Girl, I just wanna spend time with you.”

In an instant a car ran head on into them.


Now he waited to hear the news on how his wife was. If it wouldn’t have been for that other driver, they would be safely home by now. A doctor walked up behind him.

“Mr. Littrell?”

Brian jumped as he heard his name. “Yes?”

“Hi. I’m Doctor Carson. I have news about your wife, Tiffany. Her surgery went well. Her right lung was collapsed but we were able to reconstruct the cavity. Everything looks good except….”

“Except what?”

“When the vehicle collided into yours, it caused such an impact that it caused spinal damage. It damaged the cord from her brain to the rest of her body.”

“So…what you’re…you’re saying...”

“That she may be brain dead. Only time can tell.”

“Can I see her?”

“Oh yes...follow me.”

He walked with the doctor down the brightly lit hallways. He couldn’t stand the thought that his wife may never come back. They entered a dimly lit room, where his wife could be seen hooked up to life support. He walked over to her side. The machines worked noisily as her face remained emotionless.

“Hi honey. You’re going to make it. I know you can”

He held her hand tightly. Deep inside, he knew what he would probably have to do. In a few days, her family would come and they would discuss things. He felt so alone. The room was so still. He couldn’t breathe. Here he got out with a few minor scratches and she might die. A brief moment passed. A cold feeling brushed upon his cheek. He placed his hand there until the feeling went away. He, at that moment, couldn’t help but cry.