- Text Size +
Howie was satisfied with his life. He had a wonderful family. Maria, who was as beautiful as the day they were married, was cooking a lovely dinner. Pollyanna looked exactly as his sister Caroline had looked. It almost scared him in a way. She had started her own singing legacy for them. Anthony was a very successful businessman. He owned a wide construction company. His wife, Tabitha, is a doctor at the nearby hospital. How they met, Howie had no idea. In the end he’d say that his whole family was successful. He was now reaching his early sixties and nothing was wrong with life. He had recently received a call from Kevin, seeing how the whole family was doing. Although all these many years, he’s still playing the big brother figure. Tomorrow, they were all going to come together and celebrate the anniversaries of all of them. Maria couldn’t wait to see Crystal again and their children. Nothing could go wrong.
Howie was sitting in the living room reading the paper when he heard a loud clamber in the kitchen.
“Maria? Are you alright Hun?”

“Yeah…I’m fine. It was just weird. I was going to put the pasta on the stove when it just suddenly felt like I didn’t even have it in my hands.” She flexed her hands as if to make sure that they were there. “I just don’t know. Strange things have been happening to me for the past month or two.”

“What do you mean?”

“Sometimes when you are away on business, I had to call up Polly and have her come and help me. I was in such fits of coughing that at some times I couldn’t breath. It scared me half to death.”

“Maria…I’m going to take you to the hospital.”
Howie’s POV
Although it was a good thing that I took her to the hospital, it was very bad news. Maria had the disease which my sister had. She was to remain in the hospital until things had gotten better. I prayed day and night that she would come back home to me. The kids would come and see her when they could. Even Crystal stopped by to see her. She was so happy. The doctor said that she might get out of this alive. And I believe him.


He had gotten the call a few days ago. They each received the call. They were supposed to go to 143 Concrete Rd. on the 24 that month. They couldn’t believe it. AJ called him up every night and even asked if he wanted to stay with him but on the other end just got empty air. It was like he was talking to a mime at times. The whole group decided to meet Howie there earlier so they could talk and give their respects.
He sat all alone in the rows of chairs at the site. He didn’t want it to be all over the news that the ex Backstreet Boy was now alone. He wanted it to just be with family and friends. He fondled with a single red rose. It was her favorite kind of flower. Everyday now till he died he would always have a least one rose in the house. Something to remember her by.
He had heard a door slam in the distance. There were all of his friends, except for Brian and Tiff. He had wondered where they could possibly be. AJ ran up to him and gave him a great big hug.

“Hey I’m so sorry man. I guess bad things happen to the best of people don’t they?”

He had to laugh a little at AJ’s way of trying to crack a little joke.

“Yeah J. I guess so. Brian and Tiff are coming aren’t they?”

“From what we had heard yes. Where’s the kids at?”

“Oh they are coming later. No worries about that. Pollyanna is coming to sing.”
Tears came to Howie’s eyes as he thought of Pollyanna, his chance of having a grasp of Maria and Caroline at once.

Kevin and Alison walked up to him and each gave him a hug. Tears had already been flowing down her eyes. “Don’t worry Ali. She went peacefully. It was like she knew her time was up.”

“She was so lucky to have someone like you. I don’t know how she could have done it without you by her side.”

They had went and sat down next to AJ. Nick and Crystal walked up with James and Kacie. He could still see that little girl image on Kacie; James looked and acted just like his father. Although they were older with wisdom (or so he hoped) he couldn’t help but see all that they had grown up to be.

“It still seems like Aunt Maria is still here. I miss her. I’m gonna miss those ole’ shopping trips we used to take,” said Kacie with a slight sign of on coming tears.

“You with shopping…me with her singing. I never knew she could sing like that. Thanks to Dad and Auntie Maria things are gonna move smoothly now,” said James. The whole family went to sit down.

More and more people were starting to come. Howie decided that it was time for him to sit down and really absorb the situation. This was her last moment to shine. As he sat next to AJ, he could tell that he was in a distant land. He looked over to a woman with red hair past her waist, streaked with blonde. Pollyanna had arrived and was talking with the woman and they gave each other a hug, both in tears.

“That’s my baby D,” said J, his eyes welling up in tears, “That’s my little Alexia. She was mine and I can never have her back.” That moment Sabrina walked up next to her daughter and Pollyanna and gave her a hug. A man walked up beside her who looked more like a younger image of AJ. AJ turned as the whole family walked up to Howie and gave him their regards.

The service was just about to start when Howie heard over the crowd. “Don’t start that service without me and my wife! Don’t even try it!” There was Brian, running with Tiff in a wheel chair. The bumps in the lawn didn’t seem the help Tiff but to her it didn’t show any difference considering the situation. They had sat on the other side of Howie.

The service began and ran smoothly and peaceful. Tears were shed from family and friends alike. Pollyanna gave a slight surprise to the family with a beautiful song consisting of a duet with James about how Maria had changed the lives of both of them. In an instant, it seemed like the whole thing was over. People were leaving for the dinner that was arranged for after the funeral. Everyone was leaving except for Howie standing there.

“Daddy are you coming?” asked Pollyanna

“In a moment dear. Thank you so much for doing what you did here today. You look just like your mother. She will always be with you.” He rubbed his hand on her face. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and then she walked away. He then stared at the gravestone in which one day he too would be buried. He looked up at the sky with tear stained eyes. “Lord, I believe in all that you do…but why her? She didn’t…she was perfect! Now you took away the most important people that I love! How am I to live on like this?”

He started to make his way out of the graveyard and to get to the dinner hall. He had gotten into his car and sat, crying his heart out to try and make all the pain go away. He hit the steering wheel with all his might until he just gave up. He placed his head on the wheel. He really wasn’t looking for anything but he had seen a glimpse of red on the black interiored seat. There was a single read rose with a note. He picked them both up and read the note. As he did, a smile came to his face.

Howie,
You are the miracle in my life. I will always be watching over you.