- Text Size +
I sat in my window, looking out onto Sunset Blvd. as the rain poured down. The weather was a perfect reflection of how I was feeling; dark, gloomy, and absolutely no sunshine. This past month had been horrible, my dad lost his battle with cancer, my mom succumbed to her grief and became an alcoholic, and my twin brother, Avery, ran away because he couldn’t stand seeing mom drunk. My mother had been getting more and more drunk as the weeks went bye, and she was starting to become aggressive at the slightest aggravation.

I’m supposed to go to a concert this Friday, with my best friend Madison (a.k.a. Maddy), but I don’t think I can. I have to keep a constant eye on my mom, to make sure she doesn’t do anything. Maddy has been a lot of help through all that has been going on. She’s been coming over to keep me company and she gets my school work whenever I take a day out.

“Hey,” someone said walking into my room, it was Maddy.

“Hey, Mads what’s up?”

“Nothing, you set for the concert Friday?”

“I don’t think I’m going…” I said refocusing on the rain outside.

“Aww come on you have to go! We’ve been planning this for two months!!”

“I know…but I have to look after my mom, she’s been doing pretty bad lately and-”

“You’re mom is always passed out by four on Fridays! The concert is at seven so we’ll leave for the Arena at five and we’re all set.”

“I don’t know Mads…I really think I should stay home…”

“Katie, answer a question for me, when was the last time you did something for yourself?” she crossed her arms and gave me a look that said “Well?”

I sighed, defeated, “Probably before my dad died.”

“Exactly, so just go to the concert, have a good time, and just forget all of your problems, just for ONE NIGHT!”

“Yeah…I guess you’re right…” I looked up at her and she was wearing a victorious grin. “Alright, I’ll go.”