- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is Chapter 1, it's kinda' short, but oh well. Be sure to leave review's!
Chapter 1

On Wednesday I was early to school; I had gotten into a fight with my mom late the night before and wanted to get away from my house as soon as possible.

I got to my locker and took out the books I needed for my first three classes. I shut it to see Maddy leaning against her locker (the one right next to mine) with a big grin on her face.

“Guess what!” she said, way too excited for this early in the morning.

“What?” I asked, barely awake.

“I bought meet and greet passes last night on EBay!!”

I suddenly became fully focused on what she was saying, “You mean, meet and greet, as in we get to go backstage after the show and meet Aaron?!”

“Uh huh,” she said nodding her head.

“Ohmigod!!” I said. “That’s awesome!!!”

The rest of my day went bye pretty smoothly. Same teacher’s being a pain *ahem!*EnglishandAlgebra*ahem!* and the same people being royal pains *ahem*CassyNickelson*ahem*.

After school I was heading out to my car when I heard someone call my name. I turned around and it was the guy that completed my and Maddy’s “best friend trio”, Todd Klark.

“Hey Kate!” he said jogging up to me. “How’s it been?”

“Eh, can’t complain.”

“Well…that’s better than it was the last time I asked you…”

A smile tugged on the sides of my mouth. “True,” I agreed. “You need a ride?”

“Do you mind? My car’s in the shop.”

“Again!?” I asked with a groan.

“Yeah, transmission’s shot.”

“Oh man, that sucks. Hop in.”

We drove to his house and he asked me if I wanted to stick around. He and Maddy were the only ones who knew about the extent of my mom’s problems, everyone else just considered her a hopeless drunk. You see, the reason why she started drinking is because she’s been Manic Depressive her entire life…she just seems to be in a really long ‘depressive’ period.. They had also been the only ones out of all of my “friends” to be there for me when my dad died and when Avery flew the coop.

Me and Todd watched all of the Final Destination movies while we did our homework and ate pizza. Todd and I were in 6 out of 7 classes together so we pretty much had the same GPA ergo, we stayed in all the same classes. Maddy, however, was practically a genius and she was in all AP classes.

By the time I got home my mom was passed out on the couch with an empty bottle of Gray Goose in one hand. Come to think of it…I rarely ever saw her without a bottle in her hand. I took the bottle and put a blanket over her. I missed my old mom, the one who took me out for ice cream on Wednesdays and who used to let me stay home even if I wasn’t really that sick. I pushed all of the, now painful, memories away; she’d been almost constantly drunk for the past three weeks and it wasn’t doing her bad liver any justice. I asked her to get help, but all she did was call me a stupid whore and slap me straight across the face. That did it, the memory of my once beautiful and peaceful mother slapping me in the face triggered the tears. I cried continuously, unable to stop, throughout my shower and getting into my bed clothes. And once again, as I had done almost every other night, since the night my dad passed, I cried myself to sleep.


~Friday Night (Approx. 4 P.M.)~

I had finally finished getting ready, after much debate over which top should I wear with which bottom and how I should do my hair, the outfit I had settled on consisted of a brown Fox polo and a Khaki mini skirt. The doorbell rang and I ran downstairs to get it before it woke up my mom who had just fallen asleep.

I opened the door and Maddy was standing there looking amazing as always. She had a talent for making plain Jane’s look like super models. But every time I’d ask her to do my makeup and clothes for me she’d always say the same thing, “Trust me hun, you do NOT need it,” I usually left her alone after that.

“You ready to go?” she whispered, keeping one on my mom.

“Yeah, lemme’ just get my purse,” I grabbed my new purse off the coffee table and we headed out to the car. “Your mom let you take her car?” I asked grinning. Her mom almost NEVER lets us take the Mustang out. It was navy with leather interior, and we both loved it!!!

“Yeah, she said, ‘I think that you’re trustworthy enough now to be allowed to take out the good car,” and handed me the keys.”

“Nice!” I said. We hopped in the convertible, put the top down, and began our drive to the concert.