- Text Size +
Chapter 2

We got to the concert and the line was already halfway down the block. “Wow, I had no idea this many people liked him!” Maddy said as we walked past all the excited teen girls with signs, hats, shirts, and other Aaron Carter paraphernalia.

When we got to the end we started talking with the group of girls in front of us. It turns out they’d driven for 5 hours just to come see this show. I smiled to myself and thought Aaron may not have half the US after him anymore, but the fans that he does have are pretty damn loyal ones.

The line started moving and before we knew it we were inside the venue and scrambling to get as close to the front as we could. The group of girls we met turned out to be a lot bigger than I first thought, they’d had another half up at the front of the line, and we were able to go straight to the front because they’re group stretched from there all the way to the back.

The concert was great, even the opening acts were good. Maddy and I both got to touch his hand and he even kneeled down and held Maddy’s hand for a bit while he sang One Better.

While the crowd cleared out Maddy and I stayed behind for the meet and greet. We were told to wait in the front, but no one else was there. “Come on,” Maddy said. “Let’s go find him ourselves.”

She had a mischievous smile on her face and I didn’t like it. Whenever she put that smile on, we always ended up getting in trouble. “I don’t know Mads, the security guard told us that the meet and greet people should wait here. Maybe we should listen for once…”

“Katie, Katie, Katie… if that guard told you to go jump off a cliff, would you?”

She had me there, besides, a part of me kinda’ wanted to go and actually take a chance for once.

We snuck behind the stage and began our snooping. We walked by several doors listening for any life inside, of which, we found none. We kept walking and must’ve not been paying attention because at one point we turned in opposite directions, and didn’t’ notice. I continued on, not knowing Maddy and I had separated, and made sure to stop and listen for any sign of life. I finally came to a door that had a sign on it, it read ‘Aaron Carter.’ My heart sped up instantly, “Mads!” I whispered excitedly. “Mads, we found it!!!.....Mads?” I turned around and saw that she wasn’t there. “Oh boy…” I said to myself.

“Can I help you?” I heard a slightly familiar voice ask. The second I recognized it my heart skipped a beat.

I slowly turned around and came face to face with Aaron. “Uh…hi, I was just looking for my Maddy friend…err, I mean….my friend Maddy…”

He smiled and gave a little laugh. “Well, I’m sure she’s around here somewhere. Why don’t ya come in and have a drink or something.”
“Thanks,” I said, following him into the dressing room.

“You look familiar, have we met before?” He asked pulling a Pepsi out from his mini fridge and handing it to me.

“No, I was in the front row at the show though, you sang to Maddy, she was the girl standing next to me.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right,” he said. Reclining on the couch that was against one of the walls, he stretched out his arms and legs. “Have a seat and tell me about a little about yourself, what’s your name, where’ya from, stuff like that.”

I was surprise by how normal he was, I was half expecting him to grumpily shove an autograph in my hand and slam the door in my face. I did what he asked and gave him a short synopsis of my life. Excluding, of course, that my mom was an alcoholic.

“Wow,” he said, sounding serious, a few minutes later when I was done. “That’s tough, sorry about your dad…”

“It’s okay, it’s still hard, with it just being me and my mom, but I’ve gotten used to it.”

We sat in silence for a minute before Aaron said, “So what exactly were you doing back here? You’re not part of the staff are you?”

“Uh…no. I was just looking for the place that the meet and greet was being held.”

Aaron grinned and let out a little laugh.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

“There is no meet and greet.”

“What!?” I asked as my mouth dropped open. “What do you mean ‘no meet and greet’?! Maddy bought passes on eBay and everything!”

“Well, they’re fake-”

“Oh sh –t.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Maddy isn’t exactly an expert on stealth, then again neither am I, but that’s beside the point. She’s bound to get seen by a security guard or something and when she is, she’ll give them the faux tickets and probably make a big scene when whoever it is tells her that they’re fake…that is if they don’t try to arrest her for trying pass off those fake passes as real ones…and if they do try to arrest her…”

“AHHHHHHH!!!!” Maddy screamed as she came charging through the door.

“…That’s gonna’ happen.”

“Hey uh...Katie?!” she asked when she saw me. “Where’d you go?! I was looking everywhere for you,”

“I’ve been here, with Aaron.”

“Yeah well that’s all great,” she said taking a quick peak out the door. She obviously hadn’t heard the ‘with Aaron’ part of my sentence cause if she had, she’d be screaming. “But do you remember that time in eighth grade when I called Tom Smith a fat hobo, then you said, ‘One of these days you’re going to piss of the wrong person’ and I just laughed and said, ‘they can just bite me’?

“Yeeeah,” I said, my eyes narrowing suspiciously. “Mads, whadidya do now?”

“I uh…I pissed off the wrong person…” Just then a huge banging came at the door. “OHMIGOD!” she screamed and ran to hide behind me.

The door burst open and a HUGE guy with a shirt about 3 sizes too small came in and yelled, “I HEARD HER, WHERE IS THAT LITTLE-” He spotted Maddy behind my back and pointed one oversized finger at her, “THERE YOU ARE! I GOT YOU NOW!”

Aaron stepped in front of the man and said, “Relax, she’s with me.”

“But she-!” he began incredulously.

“I know, she has fake tickets, she bought them from some ass on eBay and got ripped off.”

“That’s what she said but do you really believe-?”

“Yes I do believe them, and even if they are lying, which I doubt they are, it won’t make much of a difference to anyone anyway.”

The large man stomped off in a huff, apparently disappointed that he was denied giving one of us ‘punk faced kids’ a good “talking to”…which pretty much involved calling our parents-well Maddy’s anyway-and having them come down and yell at us.

Aaron and I turned to look at Maddy after a few seconds of silence and she was sitting there with her mouth wide open.

“Y…You’re Aaron Carter!!!” she exclaimed.

“Nice observation,” I joked; Aaron laughed.