- Text Size +

The sound of the front door being slammed drew me out of my trance. At that moment I had never been filled with as much hatred for myself as I did right now. One weird thing I noticed was that it was dark out and I had been crying.

“Nick? Where are you?”

Wiping the tears off my cheeks, I slowly stood up. “I’m in the kitchen.”

Aaron flipped a light on, instantly blinding me.

“In the dark?” He paused to stare at me questionably. I hoped he wasn’t going to notice that I had been---

“Have you been crying?”

---crying……

I took a shaky breath in before I answered. “Something like that I guess.”

“So I’m guessin’ you found out what you did?”

I shook my head and then shrugged my shoulders. “Yes and no, I called my attorney and all he said was that I was facing a felony DUI.”

Aaron’s eyes grew big. “A felony?”

Aaron’s face got blurred when my eyes got all watery. “Someone got hurt in the accident…I-I don’t know if whoever got hurt will make it.”

“Shit.”

Dragging a hand through my hair, I couldn’t look at my baby brother. I had royally screwed up and I wasn’t sure what was going to happen.

“Rick’s suppose to be calling back to let me know about the person that got hurt.”

“Rick?”

“My attorney,” I said as I watched Aaron open the fridge.

“I’m having one….its been a long day,” Aaron said as he pulled out a bottle of beer. “Do you mind?”

I quickly grabbed the beer from him and put it back into the refrigerator. “Yeah I do mind.” It was one of the last things I wanted to see. “You can have a coke,” I suggested as I switched the beer for a soda.

Aaron shot a dirty look at me. “Since when did you care?”

“Since I woke up in a jail cell this morning with no clue as to what happened that got me here.”

“It’s not like I’m gonna jump in the car and drive,” he spat sourly.

“I wasn’t planning on you leaving but it’s just that you’re only eighteen---“

“Nineteen, asshole.”

“Please don’t start this shit tonight Air,” I begged as I leaned against the counter.

We both stood in the kitchen, not saying anything for a few minutes; Aaron drinking the coke I had given him. Just as I was about to suggest we go into the living room, my cell phone rang. I think both of us just stood there for a few moments, our eyes drawn to where the phone laid on the counter.

“Do you want me to answer it?” Aaron offered.

Taking a breath in, I shook my head as I picked up my cell.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Nick?”

“Yes.”

“I checked on the passengers----“

I freaked. ”Passengers?”

“You weren’t alone in your car and of course the driver in the other car….”

I swallowed hard. “Y-yeah.”

“The driver in the car you hit is being held overnight for observation. Both of the passengers in your car are in ICU and listed as critical.”

My heart sank. Both.

“Who was in the car with me?”

“Nick, they were your two friends Rob and Josh. The hospital said that the doctors weren't sure if either one will make it. They said it was basically hour by hour."

In an instant, my world went crashing around me.