- Text Size +
When they walked into the room, they saw Emma with her eyes closed, with machines hooked up to her. She had bandages on her arms, Lexy put a hand to her mouth as she cried. She turned to Nick, he placed his arms around her shoulder-“Nick...I’ve been the worst mom. We never spend anytime with her. She is always at Sandy’s.” She then turned, and looked up at the ceiling-“God! If you let her wake up, I promise we will be better parents. She will always be with us! Please!”
She then went over to the bed-“Emma, baby it’s Lexy baby. Hunny please wake up, I’m gonna be your new mommy. Remember how you wanted me to be your mommy? Well pumpkin, if you wake up I will be. Please baby girl.”
Nick sat on the other side-“Emma...it’s daddy. Baby please wake up. You wanna go to the zoo with daddy? Please Emma.”
Lexy held her hand, it was so tiny-“Emma...please wake up for mommy. We need you, daddy and I need you. You are gonna be my little flower girl, for when mommy and daddy get married. Emma baby, can you hear me? Please wake up for mommy.” She watched as the little girl didn’t move, she put her head down onto the bed and cried. Nick got up and started pacing back and forth rubbing his face. Sandy stood in a corner, silent. Just then, she stirred and groaned. Lexy’s head shot up and grabbed her hand with both hands-“Emma? Emma sweetie that’s it...just open your eyes.”
Nick ran back to the other side-“EMMA! You’re ok! Come on!”
Emma opened her eyes, squinting because of the brightness of the room. Sandy ran off to get the doctors. She looked over at Nick-“Hi daddy.”
Nick laughed as tears ran down his face, he held her and kissed her head-“Hi kiddo!”
She then turned to Lexy-“Hello Mommy.”
Lexy smiled and hugged her-“Hey baby!”
The doctor came in, then nodded to Nick-“Ok, everything is ok. She is back to normal, just give her pain killers for the burns, she is good to go home tomorrow.”
Nick shook the doctors hand-“Thank you so much doc.”
Sandy poked his head in-“Hey kid, there is someone here that really wants to see you!”
Emma sat up-“BAYLEE!”
Nick and Lexy laughed as the little blonde boy ran in-“EMMA!”
Brian and Leighanne followed him, they hugged Nick and Lexy. Brian put a hand on Nick’s shoulder-“That was a close one.”
Nick nodded, he turned to Emma, she was talking to Baylee about the adventure. Lexy smiled as she shook her head-“What was an adventure for her, was a nightmare for us.”
Leighanne nodded-“Oh, it would be any parents nightmare.”
Aj knocked on the door-“Can we come in?”
Lexy nodded as she walked over and hugged him, then Lisa-“Yes please! She is awake!”
AJ walked over to the bed, holding a big teddy-“Hey Emma, we brought you a get well present!”
Emma squeaked as she reached for the bear-“OH!”
Nick laughed-“What do we say?”
She turned to AJ-“Thank you!”
The next day, they threw Emma a welcome home party. She was excited about that, they had a moonwalk, and balloons. It was a big party to make her feel better. Lexy smiled at Nick, as he put and arm around her and kissed her forehead. They also decided that since they were gonna be better parents and have her there all the time, they re-did her whole room. Days later, it was time to plan the wedding. Lexy went off with the girls and started choosing, flowers, balloons, the ballroom, then it was time for the dress. Since Nick had seen her in the other dress, she decided she needed a new one. A month went by, and the girls had already ordered their specially made dresses. They were very excited with their outfits and the different kinds of flowers and stuff. Lexy felt a little weak, she had been feeling sick all morning. She knew what that meant, especially after she did it.
When Nick got back from the studio, he walked in to an empty house. He got to the main hall, he saw a roll of white paper with baby footprints leading to the small living room table. Where he found a basket with bottles, baby girl and baby boy clothes with “Carter baby” stitched into them, and pacifiers. His heart started racing, why was all this here? His thoughts we broken when he heard Lexy cleared her throat.