- Text Size +
AJ grabbed her shoulders-“Lexy? You ok?”
She shook her head-“No, it’s too early. Two weeks two early ”
Lisa’s eyes widened-“OH my goodness, ok ok Natalia go get the bag. Let’s go to the hospital.”
In the car, AJ drove-“Ok here’s the thing, Marley calm her down. Get her breathing going...oh (breathes hard) oh man.”
Lisa looked over at him-“Ok baby, you need to calm down. This isn’t the first time we go through this ”
AJ rolled his eyes-“Yea BABE but she has TWO babies in there, I bet she feels worse than you did!”
Lisa laughed-“OK, Jenn call Nick tell him that we are on our way to the hospital.”
Lisa called the hospital to make sure they had a wheelchair ready for Lexy when they arrive. Minutes later she was in a bed, with a machine hooked up to her. The doctor had told them that one person could go into the room with her since the daddy wasn’t there. Andy started crying and wouldn’t let Lisa go, so AJ went in there with her. He looked at the machine as it would let them know how long her contractions were at their peak. She squeezed his hand-“OHHHHH!”
AJ winced in pain-“Breathe, breathe, almost done.”
Lexy looked at him-“Is Nick on his way?”
AJ nodded-“Yes hunny but since he’s a while away he might not make it till you are done with the babies. I’m sorry, but I’ll be here the whole time.”
She looked down, she felt the tears coming-“Oh, thank you AJ!”
Her contractions were getting closer, the doctor came in-“OK lets get the wheels on this bed out, so we can take her into the operating room.” Aj stepped back so they could do that side, then immediately moved back and took her hand again. They headed down the hall and turned infront of the elevator. As the reached the elevator, the doors opened up and out came Nick, he went over to the bed and kissed Lexy’s forehead-“Hey Baby!”
Lexy smiled through her pain-“Oh Nick, you made it!”
They went into a room, a nurse handed Nick some scrubs-“Ok daddy, you need to put these on.”
He took them then turned to AJ-“Thank you bro, for being there for her.”
AJ smiled-“My pleasure, she’s one of my closest friends.”
Nick hugged him before going and getting the scrubs on. AJ went back into the waiting room, to get everyone to come up to the waiting room up near the operating room.
After much of Lexy pushing and screaming, Lexy was taken back to the room, where they were to bring her clean babies. She felt the knot in her throat as they handed her the girl, then the boy-“Oh wow.” She cried-“Hey there, so you two are the ones that were doing all that kicking huh?”
Nick sat on the bed and put his arm around Lexy’s shoulder as he looked down at the babies-“Hey there little ones. I’m your daddy. Sorry I wasn’t that great of a dad while you were in there but I am much better now.”
Lexy looked up at him, the tears flowed-“I love you Nick.”
He kissed her-“I love you too.”
The rest of their friends walked in, Lisa smiled-“Knock Knock!”
Lexy looked up-“OH, come in! Come meet Alexis and Nicholas.”
Emma ran up to the bed-“Mommy!”
Nick picked her up-“Look Emma, its your brother and sister!”
Emma looked at them-“Awww they are so little I will take care of them daddy.”
Everyone gathered around and held the babies, Lexy leaned on Nick’s shoulder as they all talked about everything that had gone on. AJ laughed-“Man Nick, you have a hell of a few months a head of you. Those babies will wake up every our, crying for attention. But at the same time you will see how amazing it is to see a little part of you in your arms.” Lisa looked up at him and kissed him.
After a few days at the hospital, they headed back home. Nick was released early since he had done very well. All the girls went back with them so they could see the looks on their faces when they saw the surprise. Lexy reached the wrapped door, with Nicholas in her arms. Nick held Alexis as they opened the door. The room had been divided in two, one side was pink and one side was blue. Above their cribs they each had a knitted quilt with their names on it. There were rocking chairs, and changing areas. Lexy looked around, she was shocked, she turned to her friends as tears quickly filled her eyes-“OH wow.”
They smiled at her. Marley walked up to her-“I guess this way was better. Glad you saw it after the babies were born, that way Nick could be here too.”
Lexy hugged them all, then turned to Nick who also hugged them-“Thank you This is amazing.”
After taking pictures, Nick sat on the rocking chair next to Lexy’s rocking chair. She held Alexis now and Nick had Nicholas. He looked down at him and softly sang-“Can you hear me...here I am...standing here where I’ve always been...when words are not enough, you’ll climb inside my arms and you’ll find...I’ll be your safest place to hide oooh we’re your safest place to hide.”


~The End~