- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
*This was my first fanfic ever. I wrote it in like 1998, but I figured what the hell, may as well post it. It's a little cheesy but its fun! I wrote it with the help of my best friend. We never did come up with a title for it and for years just refered to it as "The Story" so now it just wouldnd feel right calling it anything else. While it's not my best work, it still has a special place in my heart so I hope you enjoy it!
Chapter 1.

My Story begins in the little town of Canton, Michigan, at a place called Kid Kingdom. Winters are very busy times at a children’s indoor play-park. Natalie however, sat behind the front counter chipping away at the nail polish on her fingers. She looked up when she heard banging against the front door. She laughed as she watched an old lady repeatedly bang a shopping cart into the front door. Finally she got the cart inside. “I thought these doors were automatic.” The old lady complained, “You really should get them fixed.”

“Ma’am,” Natalie said trying to keep a straight face, “ The grocery store is next door.”

The old lady squinted in the direction Natalie was pointing. “Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry dear.”

“Happens all the time Ma’am.”

Natalie’s best friend Avery, watched Natalie hold the door open for the old lady as she pushed her shopping cart back outside. “She got inside this time.” Avery said impressed.

“Well I was going to stop her, but…” Natalie said laughing. The laughing stopped when she saw the look on Avery’s face. “Dude? What’s wrong with you? You look like you’re about to rip your hair out.”

“I have got to quit this job! I can’t take one more day with all these obnoxious brats!” Avery whined.

“How about instead of quitting your job, you take 5. I think I saw Brent’s car parked in front of the bagel shop.”

“Really?” Avery asked. Her frown turned into a smile at the mention of her boyfriend’s name. “He said he had to work today. That’s why I told Josh I would take his shift.”

“Maybe he’s on his lunch break. Go, catch him before he leaves.”

Avery headed out the door, “Bring me back a bagel!” Natalie said.

Avery walked down the sidewalk of the strip mall toward the bagel shop. As she passed the music store she stopped. She stared through the window at a huge poster of the Backstreet Boys. She looked around to see if anyone was looking, then she kissed her hand and touched it to the lips of the blonde band member. “Avery Carter.” She whispered to herself.

The clerk in the store looked up at her and she quickly ducked out of the way. She started to laugh to herself until she heard the familiar voice of her boyfriend, Brent. She looked up to see him walking out of the bagel shop holding hands with the girl that she and Natalie liked to refer to as “bagel girl”. Avery was fuming! She hid behind a mailbox and watched Brent open the door to his car for her. She hit the mailbox so hard that it hurt her hand. “Ow!” she yelled in a whisper.

Brent heard the noise and looked in her direction. To her relief, he didn’t see her. Avery sat up against the mailbox until Brent’s car was out of sight. She was so distracted that she didn’t notice the red firebird parked out front when she went back to work. “Avery, Avery, Avery! Paul’s here.” Natalie said jumping up and down with excitement.

Natalie was in love with their co-worker, Paul. She watched him constantly, dreaming of the day she would actually be brave enough to tell him that. She had the whole thing worked out in her brain. They would be at work and he would call her his favorite little princess like he always does and she would just say. “I love you.” He would kiss her and they would live happily ever after. Natalie started picturing the scene in her mind not paying any attention to Avery. “He’s cheating on me.” Avery said still stunned.

“I’m going to tell him today.” Natalie said still not paying attention.

“Are you listening to me? Brent is cheating on me!” Avery yelled,

“What!”

“With bagel girl!”

“Bagel girl? She’s not even cute. No way, you have to be mistaking. Brent would never cheat on you.” Natalie said.

“They drove off together!”

“Maybe he was just giving her a ride home.” Natalie tried to reassure Avery. “He’s super sweet like that.”

“I saw him holding her hand!”

“There could have been a million reasons…”

Avery glared at Natalie. Natalie handed Avery her cell phone. “Call him.”

“I’m not going to call him!”

“Call him.” Natalie repeated. “If he lies about it, then he’s cheating.”

Avery took the phone from Natalie and called Brent. “Hello?”

“Hey Brent.”

“Hey! Hey baby!” he said.

“Having a fun time at work?”

“Oh, you know.” He said.

“Are you on your lunch break?”

“No.” Brent said

“That’s funny, I thought I just saw your car drive by.” Avery said taking a deep breath.

“Wasn’t me.” Brent said nervously. “Must have been another red probe.”

“I guess.” Avery said disappointed. “Well I’m off in 20 minutes. Maybe I’ll stop by on my way home.”

“No!” Brent snapped. “It’s really busy here today. I wouldn’t be able to talk to you at all. Why don’t you call me tomorrow? We’ll hang out.”

Avery sat holding the phone. She looked at Natalie but didn’t say anything. “Hello? Avery?” a voice came from the phone.

Natalie took the phone from Avery. She yelled into the phone, “She saw you together. You lying, cheating bastard!”

Natalie hung up and the girls both sat stunned. They never thought Brent would do something like that. He always seemed so nice. “What is her real name anyway?” Natalie finally said breaking the silence.

“Jessie.” Avery answered.

The girls were still in shock. They didn’t see Paul walk up to them. He startled them when he said, “How’s my favorite Kid Kingdom princess?”

Natalie looked up and was lost in Paul’s beautiful smile. Her heart jumped. “I love you.” She thought.

“What brings you here on your day off?” Natalie asked.

“You.” Paul said and winked at her. Natalie and Avery looked at each other.
“Me?” Natalie asked trying to hide her curiosity.

“I have some great news and I wanted you to be the first to know.” He said very excited. Natalie waited, the suspense killing her.

“Remember a couple of months ago how you gave my number to your friend Emily?”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other confused. Natalie didn’t remember ever doing that. “Well,” Paul continued. “I was sort of hoping you wanted to go out with me, so I was disappointed when she said you told her she should ask me out.”

Natalie’s mouth dropped. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She never said anything of the sort. The only thing she ever said about Paul to anyone was how she was going to marry him some day. “Did you just say you used to like her?” Avery asked pointing at Natalie, trying to keep up with the madness.

“That’s why I was disappointed at first.”

“At first?” Avery asked.

“I don’t know how you knew,” Paul said to Natalie. “But I owe you one.”

Natalie and Avery stared blankly at Paul. “We’re engaged! You were so right. Emily is perfect for me.

“You’re engaged?” Natalie finally said trying not to look as upset as she felt.

“We’re getting married in June.”

“I can’t believe it.” Avery said.

“Anyway, I just wanted you to be the first to know. After all, you are the reason I found her.”

Paul gave Natalie a big hug and kissed her on the cheek. “Thank you so much!” He said somewhat giddy.

Paul left and Natalie and Avery sat at the front counter shocked. Natalie’s eyes filled up with tears. “We need a vacation.” she said.