- Text Size +
Chapter 10.

After breakfast everyone decided to go to the game room to play a little pool. As everyone left the table James pulled Kevin aside, “Can you do me a favor?”

“Anything.” Kevin said.

“Watch them today?”

Kevin was confused. “In theory this will work very well,” James explained, “But these girls have never done anything like this before and we are telling a story with this video. There is a little bit of acting involved. I need you to watch them.”

Kevin was still unsure why he was supposed to be watching them. James tried to explain again. “This video is about realizing you’re in love, so I figure we take one of the girls and make her the ‘one of the guys’ role. And the other is ‘the girlfriend’ role. Now, Brian is the lead vocals in the song and Nick is the secondary. That makes Brian the one realizing he’s in love and Nick the one with the girlfriend. I need to know which girl I need in which role. I need to know how comfortable they will be with the guys, and, if we are going to be able to get them to kiss on screen. Hired actresses, that would be no problem, normal teenage girls might be a different story.”

Kevin looked at James mystified. Almost like he had just seen a ghost. Finally he smiled. James could tell he had something up his sleeve. “What?” he asked cautiously.
“It really must be fate.” Kevin said smiling.

“What’s fate?”

“Have I got a story for you.” He said.

He and James sat back down at the empty table. Kevin told him everything he knew about the girls already. How Avery and Nick are joined at the hip and how his crazy little cousin was all stressed out because he realized he had a crush on Natalie. It was crazy how everything was working out so perfectly. James couldn’t believe the coincidence.

On the other end of the lodge, the others found the game room. Nick and Avery immediately teamed off against A.J. and Howie. Natalie had stopped to use the restroom on the way and wasn’t there yet. Brian sat on the side watching. When Natalie joined them, she sat down next to Brian. “You guys can take the winners.” Nick said as Natalie sat down.

Natalie smiled and nodded her head. Avery took her shot. It couldn’t have possibly been any worse. “My guess is that will be them.” Nick said laughing.

“Thanks for the moral support, jerk!” Avery said hitting Nick on the arm.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.” Nick said hugging her from behind. “I’ll help you out next time. I know a few tricks.”

A.J. and Howie laughed shaking their heads. Natalie looked at Brian who sat quietly on the couch. It was like he was an entirely different person than he had been the day before. “Are you alright?” she asked him, “You’ve hardly said two words this morning.”

“Really?” he asked. “I hadn’t noticed.”

“That’s just it. I don’t think you’ve noticed much of anything today. You seem kind of out there. You sure you’re OK?”

Natalie handed Brian her bag of gummy bears, “Here,” she said, “I think you need these more than I do. They’re not just good luck you know, they also cheer you up.”

“How do you figure?” Brian asked.

“Because they taste so good.”

Brian smiled. “See, you’re smiling already.” Natalie said.

Both Brian and Natalie looked up when they heard Avery scream. “He’s tickling me.” Avery whined.

Brian looked at Natalie, “You want to get out of here?” He asked.

“Sure.” Natalie said.

Brian and Natalie left just before James and Kevin got there. When they walked in the room Nick was trying to help Avery line up her shot. Avery took her turn sinking the 8 ball. She jumped up and down excited. “I got one in!” she said all giddy.

Nick, A.J. and Howie all burst into laughter. The all put down their sticks. “What’s so funny?” Avery asked confused.

Nick put his arms around Avery’s waist and rested his head on her shoulder. “It was a nice shot.” He said still laughing, “But if you sink the 8 ball before last, you automatically lose the game.”

“What?” Avery said.

“We just lost.”

“This is a stupid game anyway.” Avery said laughing along with the others.

“I see what you mean.” James said to Kevin watching them, but where are Brian and Natalie?”

James and Kevin went off to find them. Brian and Natalie had walked down to the basketball court and Brian taught Natalie how to make a basket from the free throw line. When James and Kevin found them, Brian was trying to teach Natalie the rules of one on one. James and Kevin just watched them. Natalie sat on the side of the court taking a break while Brian continued to shoot hoops. They were having so much fun laughing at how bad Natalie was. “Some things were just meant to be left alone.” Natalie said giving up. “I’m afraid I will always be terrible at basketball.”

“So, what are you good at?” Brian asked.

Natalie stood up and took the ball from Brian. She took a shot and missed. “Nothing I can put in a trophy case.” She sighed.

“I’m serious.” Brian said, “So you don’t play basketball and we saw how you are at mini-golf.”

Natalie laughed. “I wasn’t exactly blessed with coordination.”

“So, what are you blessed with?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Natalie teased. Brian waited for a response.

“I’m good with people.” Natalie finally answered. “I tend to be that shoulder people like to cry on.”

Brian smiled, “Something we have in common then.”

Natalie blushed realizing that he was talking about her. She was so embarrassed. She opened her mouth to explain but nothing came out. “It’s OK.” Brian teased. “I told you I had more skills than you could handle.”

Natalie looked at Brian surprised by the comment. She smiled. “I have to admit you were good, better than I thought.”

“But not irresistible.” Brian said sounding a little disappointed.

Natalie thought about it for a moment, “No, no, you may have been irresistible even.”

“No,” Brian said taking the ball from Natalie. “I wasn’t.”

He lined the ball up with the basket- swish. “You didn’t kiss me.” He said.

Brian looked at Natalie smiling victoriously. There’s no way she could argue that. He picked up the ball and threw it to her. She smiled back and then looked over at Avery who was headed their direction with the others, “Natalie!” she yelled.

Natalie looked back at Brian, “That doesn’t mean you weren’t irresistible.”

Brian looked at her curiously. “No?”

She laughed. “Just because I didn’t kiss you, doesn’t mean I didn’t fall madly in love with you last night.”

Natalie flashed Brian a wicked smile and then threw the ball. Just as if she could make a basket with her eyes closed, the ball dropped through the hoop. She winked and then ran off to join Avery. Brian laughed to himself impressed. Then he watched her talk to Avery wondering if she meant what she said. James and Kevin had witnessed the scene but didn’t hear what they were saying. “This could actually work.” James said.

“Seeing them in real life is one thing, but how will they do in front of the camera?” Said Kevin.

“That’s it!” James said. “Real life. Why act when you don’t have to?”

“What are you talking about?” Kevin asked very lost.

“We film them when they don’t know it.”

“How do we do that?”

“Steve. We get Steve to follow them around with a camera. He’s filming stuff for a making of video anyway. No one will think twice about it.”

Kevin thought about it. “It’s worth a shot, assuming they cooperate.”

“But they won’t know.”

“That’s not what I mean. You know Brian. He’s not really going to…”

“So we play match maker a little.” James said.

He smiled and walked up to Brian. Kevin followed. Brian was still watching Natalie. “So, things going well?” Kevin asked him.

Brian jumped. “What?” he said realizing they were there.

“No more crying?” Kevin said laughing.

“No, no crying.” Brian said looking back at Natalie who was laughing at something A.J. was saying. He frowned confused, “I’m glad you find the situation so amusing.”

“Is there a situation?” Kevin asked.

“No.” Brian answered defensively.

Kevin laughed again. They all looked back at the group. They were all laughing and having a fun time. Nick turned to them and yelled, “We’re going to the beach! You coming?”

“We’ll catch up.” Kevin yelled. “The beach sounds good.” He said to Brian and James. Nick grabbed Avery and they ran off toward the beach. A.J. offered Natalie his arm and the two of them walked up the path arm in arm. “We’d better hurry and catch up.” James said to Brian. “It’s unwise to leave girls alone with A.J.”

Everyone went to get their suits on and then they all met at the beach. They all had so much fun. Howie had brought his video camera and caught the day’s events on tape. Before they knew it, the sun was going down. Everyone parted and went their separate ways to get ready for the party. Avery and Natalie went back to their cabin. They had only been their a few minutes when there was a knock at the door. “James!” Natalie said surprised to see him.

“May I come in?” he asked.

James came in and told the girls that his hair and make-up guy was here and that he wanted to do them up for the party. “You have to look great for your first kick off party. You’re the guests of honor tonight.” He said.

“Why not.” Avery said.

“Great!” James said excited, “Why don’t you get showered and changed and come up to the lodge. I’ll introduce you to George. He’s excited to meet you.”

“We’ll be up there soon.”

The girls got ready and went up to the lodge. They were surprised to see people there, not just people, but guys. Hot guys. They sat down to wait for James when a girl not too much older than themselves came up to them. “It’s nice to see other girls around here.” She said. Natalie and Avery smiled, “I’m Laura.- Wardrobe.”

“Avery.”

“Natalie.”

The girls shook hands and Laura sat down next to them. “You get used to it.” She said, “These guys always use a lot of the same crew. It’s kind of a boys club. I’m usually one of the only girls on set beside the ever trashy, oh so smart, wannabe actresses that show up. It’s nice to see someone like you around.”

“Yeah,” Natalie said, “I can see how that might get tiring.”

The girls all laughed. “So what do you do?” Laura asked.

“Huh?” Avery said.

“You know, lighting, make-up, stage tech…”

“Oh right.” Natalie said.

She and Avery exchanged glances. “I guess we are the, um ever trashy, oh so smart, wannabe model/actresses.” Avery said snickering.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!”

“Don’t worry about it. We feel the same way about models.”

Laura looked confused. “We’re not really models.” Natalie said. “I guess you could say we’ve just been discovered.”

“Sort of last minute replacements.” Avery added.

“We were here on vacation this week. Their girls couldn’t make it, so here we are.” Natalie said.

Laura looked stunned. “Whoa.” She said.

“In real life we host birthday parties for spoiled kids.” Avery said.

A man came up to them with a camera. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to overhear, but did you just say you host birthday parties?” he asked.

“A whole 8 bucks an hour” Avery said

“Plus tips.” Natalie added

“And now you’re the actors?” he asked. The girls nodded.

“That’s quite a story.” He said excited, “Would you mind doing an interview?”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other. “My name is Steve. I’m making a behind the scenes video for this shoot.”

Natalie and Avery sat there in the lobby telling their story to Steve until James found them. He dragged them off to meet George. When Laura found out he was doing their hair and make-up she insisted on helping. They went to where George’s trailer had been set up. When they were gone, James pulled Steve aside and told him the plan to stick to the girls like glue. Steve was really excited about the whole idea. Meanwhile back in the trailer, Steve doing Avery’s make-up. Laura went through her entire closet trying to find them just the right outfit. “I’m not wearing a skirt.” Avery protested when she saw what Laura was holding.

Laura attempted to change her mind but it was no use. Eventually Avery agreed to a pair of jeans and a cute top. “She’s not worried about impressing all the boys anyway.” Natalie said.

“Oh?” Laura said, “Do you have a boyfriend?”

“She’s married to Nick in her mind. Does that count?” Natalie said.

George sighed, “Me too honey.”

Natalie and Avery laughed. “All finished.” George said helping Avery out of her chair. Natalie sat in her place and Avery changed her clothes. When she came out of the dressing room George sighed, “Beautiful.” He said clapping his hands together.

Avery went to find Nick. George began with Natalie’ make-up. “So will you be trying to impress the boys tonight?” he asked Natalie.

“I’m done trying to impress boys.” She replied.

Natalie told George and Laura the whole story starting form the beginning. George was in tears before she was finished. “This vacation was supposed to be boy drama free.”

“Well you know what they say,” Laura said, “You never get over your first love until you find the next one.”

Natalie laughed. “It’s true.” Laura insisted. “I know from experience.” She looked at a picture taped to George’s mirror of the boys and sighed.

“You’re in love with one of them?” Natalie asked.

“I was, for years, but not now.”

“What happened?”

Laura showed Natalie a ring on her finger. “I found someone else.”

“Congratulations.” Natalie said. “It’s beautiful.”

“Thanks.”

“Is it hard still working with…” Natalie didn’t know which boy she was talking about so she just pointed to the picture.

Laura smiled. “No. He’s like a brother to me now. They all are, but Brian especially.
“Is he the one you liked?”

Laura sighed again. “I wanted him so bad, but he was always so emotionally untouchable.”

Natalie was surprised. Laura didn’t see the confused look on her face because she had drifted off into thought. “If I ever run into that Bitch…” She stopped. “Sorry.” She said snapping out of it, “I get a little overprotective. But he was so heartbroken.”

“Really?” Natalie asked confused.

“Yeah, I spend most of my days trying to play matchmaker for him now, but it never works. Sometimes I wonder if he’ll ever love again.”

Natalie was shocked. Was she talking about the same Brian who almost kissed her the night before? She didn’t know exactly what to say, “How sad.” Was all she could come up with.

“I just want to see him happy.” Laura said.

“Finished.” George said spinning Natalie’s chair to face the mirror.

Natalie grabbed the outfit that Laura had set out for her and went to change. Just then James walked into the trailer. “Laura! Avery said you were here. She looks great, by the way.” He said to George who took a bow.

“What’s up?” Laura asked.

“Where’s Natalie?” James asked.

Laura pointed to the dressing room. “Almost done.”

James pulled Laura out of the trailer and quickly explained Brian’s situation as he had put it earlier. She was stunned. “Are you sure?” she asked.

James nodded. “I didn’t believe it myself at first, but you should see him around her.”
“I can’t believe it.”

“Well you better because we need you to help make it happen. You know Brian.”

Laura was so excited by this news. She was determined to help James’ cause. She went through her own suitcase and pulled out a little blue dress. She knew it was Brian’s favorite. She handed it to Natalie who was just coming out of the dressing room. “I changed my mind,” Laura said, “You should wear this.”

Natalie changed again. “You look like an angel.” James said.

Natalie blushed, “Hi.” She said.

“We are fashionably late now,” James said, “Would you let me have the honors of being the one on your arm when you make your grand entrance?”

Natalie laughed but took his arm and they walked toward the lodge. As they walked away, James looked back at Laura and gave a big thumbs up. She smiled.

“So what are these things like?” Natalie asked as they walked to the party.

“Loud music, food, and lots of guys fighting for the attention of the few ladies present.”

Natalie laughed. As they walked through the lobby they ran into Steve. With the camera in their face he said, “So, are you excited for your first kick off party?”

“Well, I’m really not that much of a party person.”

“Looking like that? Are you kidding?”

Natalie blushed. She looked down at her dress and then took a spin for the camera. “I’m afraid this was not my doing.”

“Well you look great!”

“Thanks.”

“You seem pretty relaxed in front of the camera.” James said when Steve left.

“Talking to a camera is one thing. Avery and I are always making home videos and stuff, but I am so nervous about having to do it for real.”

“I think you’ll find it’s not a whole lot different.”

“I hope so.”

They stood at the door to the ballroom. “Ready?” James said.

Natalie took a deep breath. “It’s only a party.” She said to herself.

James and Natalie walked into the room and instantly several guys walked up to them. James introduced them to Natalie slowly making their way across the room. Eventually they got to Avery. She was sitting next to Nick and several guys were telling Avery funny stories about him. She seemed to be having a great time. When she saw Natalie she jumped up, “Isn’t this crazy?” she said.

Natalie nodded her head feeling a little overwhelmed. “Laura wasn’t kidding about there being not enough girls. I’ve counted 3 other than us and Laura.” Avery explained.
“Yeah, I barely made it across the room.”

“Thank goodness for Nick. He is refusing to share me. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure someone would have made me dance with them by now and I don’t dance.”

Natalie laughed at the thought of Avery having to actually dance with someone. “Thank goodness for Nick.” She repeated.

“Have you seen Brian yet?”

“No. Have you?” Natalie answered.

“I saw him a little while ago, but I didn’t see where he went.”

Just then AJ came up to them. “Which one of you fine ladies is going to dance with me first?” he asked.

Avery pointed to Natalie. “That one is mine AJ, don’t even think about it.” Nick said pointing to Avery.

Avery smiled really big and sat back down next to Nick. AJ held out his hand to Natalie. She forced a smile, “I’m not much of a dancer.” She said.

AJ wouldn’t take no for an answer and dragged Natalie to the dance floor. Across the room, Brian was standing next to Kevin and Steve. Steve had his camera pointed at Nick and Avery. James walked up to them. “We have really got to get more women on this crew.” He said.

Everyone laughed agreeing with him. “It’ doesn’t help that Nick won’t share one of the only available ones here.” Steve said.

Everyone looked over at them. Nick had his arm around Avery and was whispering something in her ear. “They’re acting like they’re boyfriend and girlfriend or something.” James said.

“Wouldn’t be so bad.” Kevin said. “They are kind of perfect for each other. We’ve all got to find one sometime.”

Steve took a step back and focused his camera on Brian. He didn’t notice, he was watching Avery and Nick. “She seems to be right at home here.” James said, “Natalie seemed a lot more nervous.”

“Looks like she’s doing alright to me.” Kevin said pointing to her and AJ on the dance floor. Brian looked across the room seeing Natalie for the first time that night. Kevin saw him stare. “She looks good tonight.” He said to Brian. Brian nodded. “You should go save her from AJ.” Kevin said.

Brian frowned. “She seems to be enjoying herself. You think she likes him?”

“She doesn’t seem like to type to fall for him. She’s too nice a girl.” James said.

“AJ doesn’t have a chance.” Came a voice from behind them.

Everyone turned around to see Laura. “She just had her heart broken.” Laura continued, “Told me the whole story. Tragic. She came on vacation to someone to get away from someone just like him.”

Laura smiled and put her arm around Brian. “Reminds me of you.” She said.

Brian looked back at Natalie. AJ was now introducing her to several other guys.

Meanwhile, Nick was starting to get tired of the party. “You want to get out of here?” He said to Avery.

“I thought you were never going to ask.” She said.

Nick and Avery ducked out of the party. They ran through the lodge and toward Nicks cabin. They didn’t stop the whole way worried that someone might stop them. When they finally stopped they sat down on the steps and laughed. “Was the party boring you?” Avery asked.

“I was just getting tired of sharing you.” He said.

There was a pause. Then Nick got a little nervous and stood up. “You want to go for a walk?” He asked.

He held out his hand and Avery took it. They walked down to the beach. They took off their shoes and walked in the wet sand, the waves brushing up against their feet. “It’s so nice here.” Avery said. “I’m going to hate having to go back to Michigan after this.”

“I’ve only ever been to Michigan when I was on tour. Maybe I should come up there when I get a little time off. You could show me around.”

“You would come all the way to Michigan to see me?” Avery asked surprised.
Nick smiled, “It wouldn’t be hard, I do have my own jet.”

Avery laughed. “That would be nice.” She said, “But I’m warning you, there’s not a whole lot to see. Michigan is so boring.

“I would really only be going there to see you anyway.” Nick said nervously.

They stopped walking. Nick stared at her wanting to say something. Avery smiled nervously. “What is it?” She asked when he didn’t say anything.

Nick walked up the beach and sat down in the dry sand. “Can I tell you something?” he said. “I was 12 when I joined the group. I’ve kind of grown up on the road. I’ve met tons of girls, but you’re the first one to treat me like a normal person.”

“You are a normal person.” Avery paused, “Aside from having your own jet.”

Nick laughed. “I’ve never met anyone like you before. I want you to be my first real girlfriend.”

Avery’s mouth fell open. She was in shock! She stared at Nick speechless. “I know you live far away and I’m gone a lot, but it could still work. I’ll come see you whenever I can. What do you think?”

Avery wasn’t sure she heard him right because there’s no way he had said what he said. “You want to be my boyfriend?” she asked.

“I mean, if you don’t want to, I understand.” Nick said.

Avery smiled at Nick and he knew the answer was yes. He was so happy he kissed her. This time she kissed him right back. When he pulled away, he smiled and said, “I promise never to cheat on you. I won’t even step foot in bagel shop ever again.” Avery laughed and they kissed again. In fact, they spent the rest of the night making out on the beach!