- Text Size +
Chapter 11.

Back at the party, Natalie was getting a little strung out being introduced to people and dancing with strangers. She hadn’t even seen Brian yet. The first minute she could, she escaped the room. She walked back to the lobby. She saw Jerry at the front desk. She went up to say hello. “How come you’re out here?” he asked.

“I had to get out of there. I told you, I’m not much of a party person. I really wasn’t kidding about liking things quiet.”

Jerry smiled. “Well you’re not the first to ditch the party.”

“No?” Natalie asked.

“Nick and Avery left hours ago.”

Natalie rolled her eyes. “I wondered. I can’t believe she left me alone in there. I think I’m going to go back to my room and soak in that huge tub. My nerves are shot.”

Jerry laughed. “You go relax then, if you need anything, just give me a call.”

“Thanks Jerry!”

Natalie turned to leave and saw Brian walk in the front door. “Hi.” She said.
“You look beautiful tonight.” Brian said back.

Natalie smiled. “Are you just getting here? I haven’t seen you tonight.” Natalie said.

“I’ve been in and out. I don’t really like parties that much. I was actually about to go to the game room. There’s a Miami Heat game on tonight and there’s a big screen in there. What about you? Were you leaving?”

Natalie shrugged. “Too much testosterone in one room. I had to get out of there. “Where’s your back up?”

“I don’t know. I’ve been looking for you all night.”

Brian was surprised to hear her say that. He almost blushed. “I was talking about Avery.”

“Jerry said he saw her and Nick leave hours ago. They’re probably making out somewhere.”

“You think so?”

“Did you see them in there? They were acting like a couple of newly weds. I can’t believe she ditched me.”

“You seemed to be having a good time when I saw you.”

“You saw me? How come you didn’t say hi?”

“You were with AJ. I kind of thought…” Brian didn’t finish his sentence.

Natalie realized what he was saying. “What? AJ? You think I…” she laughed, “He’s charming for sure, but I know his type a little too well.”

Brian was relieved to hear her say that. “You want to watch the game with me?”

After a while Steve left the party to find a restroom. He heard laughing coming from the game room. He stuck his head in the door to see what was going on. He saw Brian and Natalie playing what looked like a drinking game only they were using a pitcher of punch instead of liquor. “I think I’m gonna be sick.” Natalie laughed.

Steve ran back into the party and grabbed his camera. He came back and filmed them for a minute. Miami scored again and they both chugged. “Seriously. No more! I didn’t eat anything and I have dangerous amounts of punch in me now. I’m gonna get really loopy soon.”

Brian laughed, “You already are loopy! We can’t stop. It’s working. Miami is winning.”

“And you think I’m superstitious!”

“I’m not superstitious.” Brian protested.

“NO? Then I dare you not to drink the next time Miami scores.”

“Fine.”

Brian watched the screen and Miami scored. He looked at Natalie and didn’t drink. Natalie wasn’t entirely convinced. She looked at the screen. The other team scored a beautiful 3-point shot. Brian saw it and snatched his plastic cup chugging the rest of it. Natalie burst into laughter. Brian plopped onto a couch laughing hard. “I think you’re right. We’d better stop.”

Natalie laughed even harder. She joined him on the couch. They both just laughed and laughed. Steve walked up to them with the camera. “What’s going on in here?” he asked.

“Miami’s winning!” Brian said laughing into the camera.

“I didn’t realize basketball was such a high scoring game. I’m used to hockey. I have a serious headache.” Natalie said and started laughing again.

“Here, drink this.” Brian said handing her another glass of punch. “ It’s good for headaches.”

They both laughed again. Miami scored again and Natalie took the glass from Brian, “They better win.” She said raising the cup in the air and then chugged.

Natalie looked so sick. Brian was laughing so hard he fell of the couch. Natalie laughed through her stomachache. Steve shook his head. “What are you guys drinking?” he asked.

“Relax, it’s only punch. We stole it off the bar in the party.” Brian said.

Natalie laughed and held up an empty bowl. “We took the peanuts too.”

“You guys do know that the punch at the bar was spiked?”

“What?” Natalie said laughing so hard she could barely talk.

“There’s alcohol in it.” Steve said.

“No wonder it tasted kind of funny.” Brian laughed.

Steve watched Brian and Natalie laugh until they ached. They looked crazy. Natalie looked at Brian, “Did you get me drunk? I’ve never been drunk before.” she said and started laughing again.

“I guess there’s a first for everything.” Brian laughed.

“No wonder I feel so sick. I’ve never had alcohol before.”

Steve looked a little worried. He put down his camera. “Never?” he asked, “How much have you had?”

Brian held up the pitcher. It was nearly empty. They started laughing again. “Oops!” he said.

“I think we’d better get you back to your room.” Steve said, “It’s a miracle you haven’t passed out already. You guys should wait here a minute. I’ll be right back.”

Brian pulled himself back up on the couch. They started laughing again. Steve went back to the party and found Kevin. “I need your help.” He said.

When Kevin and Steve walked into the game room Brian and Natalie were making out on the couch. Kevin was shocked. “OK you guys,” Steve said, “I think you’ve had enough fun for one night.”

Natalie and Brian looked at them giggling. “Busted.” Brian said and they burst into laughter again.

Kevin just stared at them, “Are they drunk?” he asked Steve.

Natalie nodded her head and pointed at Brian. “It’s not my fault!” Brian said.

“Brian doesn’t drink.” Kevin said confused.

“It’s a first for Natalie. They didn’t know there was alcohol in the punch.” Said Steve.

“How have they not passed out yet?” Kevin asked picking up the nearly empty pitcher.

“That’s what I said. Will you help me get them back to their rooms?”

Kevin and Steve helped Natalie and Brian to their feet. After taking a few steps, Brian felt sick. He leaned over a trashcan and threw up. Natalie started laughing so hard that she fell to the ground. Kevin helped her up. She pointed at Brian, “He threw up!” she said still laughing and then passed out in Kevin’s arms.

The next morning Natalie woke up when Kevin opened the curtains in her room. “Rise and shine.” He said. “How do you feel?”

Natalie sat up and immediately lied back down. “What happened? Where am I?”

“You passed out. I brought you back to your room. Avery wasn’t here so I stayed. Didn’t want to leave you here alone like that.”

Natalie tried to sit up again. The room seemed to be spinning. Kevin handed her a glass, “Sip this.” He said.

“What is this?”

“Tomato juice mostly, plus a few other things.”

“What’s it for?”

“Should help with the hangover.”

“Hangover!” Natalie said confused. “That’s impossible.”

“Do you remember anything?”

Natalie thought for a minute. “I was watching a basketball game with Brian?”

“You two had quite a bit of punch.”

“You can’t get a hangover from punch.”

“You can when it’s full of rum.” Kevin laughed.

Natalie set the glass on the nightstand and lied back down. She groaned. Kevin smiled. “Keep sipping the juice.”

“Where’s Brian?”

“In his room, I’m sure. Probably still sleeping it off. I haven’t seen two people that drunk in a long time.”

“What were we doing?”

Kevin thought of telling her about her and Brian making out on the couch, but then didn’t. “Laughing at each other mostly. You looked pretty silly but don’t worry nothing too embarrassing.”

“How long does a hangover last?”

Kevin smiled, “Depends on how wasted you got. Have you really never been drunk before?”

“I’ve never even tasted alcohol before.”

Kevin laughed, “My guess is your head is gonna hurt all day.”

Natalie groaned again and pulled the covers over her head.

Kevin pulled the covers back, “I’m afraid not sweetie. We have to start filming today.”

Natalie sat back up in a panic, “Oh my gosh! What am I gonna do?”

Kevin sat down on the bed next to her and handed her the glass on the nightstand. “First, you’re going to finish your juice and take some asprin, then you’re going to take a hot shower and then we’ll walk up to the lodge and find you a really dark pair of sunglasses. You’ll be OK.”

Natalie sipped the tomato juice and looked at Kevin. “Thanks.” She said.

Kevin smiled, “My cousin got you drunk, it was the least I could do.”

“Where’s Avery?”

“She came in really late last night. She couldn’t believe it when I told her what happened. She was really worried so I told her I would stay. She already left to go up to the lodge.”