- Text Size +
Chapter 12.

Natalie and Kevin walked up to the lodge where almost everyone was already busy at work. People were setting up lights and cameras around the basketball court. Kevin went to talk to James. Brian was sitting at the picnic table with his face buried in his arms. Natalie sat down next to him. “Just tell me one thing.” She said. Brian looked up at her squinting, “Did Miami win?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I have no idea what happened. The last thing I remember, we were watching the game. Next thing I know my alarm is going off and my head is pounding.”

“Sounds familiar.” Natalie said, “Except instead of an alarm, I woke up to Kevin feeding me tomato juice.”

“Did he tell you what happened?”

“Apparently, there was rum in the punch. Kevin said we were pretty drunk.”

“Pretty drunk?” Steve laughed as he walked past them, “That was an understatement.”

Steve sat down at the table with them. “How much do you remember?”

Both Natalie and Brian shook their heads. “Nothing.” Natalie said.

Steve laughed. “It’s probably better that way.”

“Why? What happened?” Brian asked.

Steve laughed again and walked away without answering the question. Natalie and Brian looked at each other. “I am so sorry.” Brian said.

“I’m sure if we did anything really bad, he would have told us.”

James yelled a set of directions into a megaphone. Both Brian and Natalie groaned from the noise and put their heads down on the table. Avery sat down across from them at the table. “Are you OK?” she asked trying not to laugh, “Kevin said you passed out.”

“Why are you yelling?” Natalie asked looking up.

Avery looked at her confused. “Is this better?” she whispered.

“She passed out?” Brian asked. “I feel really awful.”

“It wasn’t your fault.” Natalie said smiling.

James yelled through the megaphone again. “I need some coffee.” Brian said. “You want some?”

Natalie shook her head and buried her face in her arms. When Brian was gone Avery started freaking out. “Oh my gosh, I have to tell you something!”

Natalie pulled her head up off the table and tried to be attentive. “Let me guess, you ditched me at that stupid party so that you and Nick could go make out and I end up with the worlds largest hangover.”

Avery smiled. “Close. All that did happen, but there’s more.”

“How come you get to do all the making out?” Natalie whined, “Why do I have to want the ‘emotionally untouchable’ one.”

“Who’s emotionally untouchable?” Nick asked cheerfully sitting down next to Avery. He was unusually perky this morning.

Natalie and Avery looked at each other in panic. “No one.” Natalie said.

“Natalie” Avery said.

“Ah-hah.” Nick said looking at Natalie “You better fix that before you end up like Brian.” He laughed.

Both girls gave him strange looks. “What?” he said.

Natalie threw her head back on the table, “Are you always so perky in the morning?”

“I can’t help it.” Nick said smiling. “I’m in a good mood today.”

He put his arm around Avery and kissed her on the cheek. “Did you tell her?”

Avery shook her head. “Tell me what?” Natalie said with her face still buried in her arms.

“In that case,” Nick said, “I want you to be the first to meet my new girlfriend.”

Natalie pulled her head back up and looked at the two of them. They both had huge smiles on their faces. “What?” Natalie said.


Brian’s hands shook a little as he poured himself a cup of coffee. Kevin walked up to him. “How you holding up?” he asked.

“I’ll survive.” Brian replied, “I don’t even remember what happened.”

“Well you threw up and she passed out.”

“Was she ok?”

“We got her home. She’s got one hell of a headache but she’ll live.”

Brian looked hesitantly at Kevin he wanted to say something but didn’t know exactly how to ask. “What?” Kevin said.

“Last night? Um, we were just watching the game right? I mean we didn’t do anything crazy did we?”

Kevin smiled. “Why what do you remember happening?”

“I can’t remember anything, it’s just…”

“Just what?”

Brian looked around and lowered his voice, “This morning when I woke up? I think I was wearing lipstick.”

Kevin laughed. “That’s not uncommon after you make out with a girl who was wearing it.”

“What? Who?”

“Who do you think?” Kevin said looking over at Natalie.

Brian’s face went pale. He looked over at the girls. Avery and Nick were telling Natalie something and Natalie was rubbing her head. “Are you sure?”

“When I walked in the room you were making out on the couch. You both seemed to think it was hysterical.”

“Does she know?” Brian asked.

“She remembers about as much as you. I didn’t see the need to tell her.”

Brian looked relieved. Kevin laughed. Brian looked at him confused, “What’s so funny?”

“You are.”

Brian looked at Kevin annoyed. “I have to sit down.”

As Brian turned to walk away, Kevin threw him a bottle of asprin. They smiled at each other. Brian sat back down at the table next to Natalie. “Where’d you guys go last night?” Brian asked Nick and Avery.

“They went exactly where I said they went.” Natalie said.

“You guys made out?” Brian asked surprised.

“Worse, they’re boyfriend girlfriend now.”

Brian Looked at them surprised. “Wow.” he said. Nick and Avery shrugged and smiled. Nick grabbed Avery’s hand. “Congratulations?” Brian said still surprised.

They all sat there looking at each other. James came up to them and said, “There’s my two little actresses! Are you ready to get started?”

Avery smiled and nodded, Natalie groaned again and put her head back down on the table. Brian put the bottle of asprin on the table. She looked at the bottle. “Already took a bunch.” She said.

James stared at them trying not to laugh. “That’s right. I heard you guys had quite a night.” He clapped his hands together, “Well, who’s ready to play some basketball?”

Brian groaned and threw his head down. Natalie picked hers back up. “What about basketball?” she said worried.

James sat down to explain what was going to happen. “Ok, Here’s the deal. The song is about realizing that you’re in love. For the video, Avery gets to play the part of Nick’s girlfriend.”

Everyone exchanged weird looks. What a coincidence. “Now,” James continued, “Natalie is Avery’s best friend and she’s kind of more ‘one of the guys.’ So, over the coarse of the video Brian will realize he’s in love with Natalie.

Brian smiled nervously at Natalie. She forced a smile back. “So where does basketball come in to all of this?” Avery asked.

“The guys are going to be playing. You and Natalie will walk up. Nick makes a basket then comes over and hugs you. AJ tries to get him to come back to the court but he stays with you. He’s left without a teammate so Natalie joins him on the court. They’ll play for a minute then AJ throws the ball to Natalie she takes her shot while Brian guards her. She makes the basket, hi 5’s AJ, Brian’s impressed…”

“Wait a minute. No one said anything about playing basketball when I signed up. You expect me to make a basket? Have you seen me play?”

“Saw you make one yesterday.” James said.

“One! In like an hour and a half!”

“That’s why it’s time to get up. Practice!”

Natalie looked at Avery worried. Avery shrugged and shook her head. “Up, up, up!” James said clapping. “Time’s a wastin’!”

Avery and Nick jumped up, “You ready act like my girlfriend?” Nick said.

Avery laughed and they walked over to the court where the other guys were waiting. “Come on you two.” James said.

Natalie and Brian looked at each other. They stumbled to their feet. When everyone was assembled on the court, James said, “We’ll start with the easy scene so you ladies can see how it works.”

The girls stood back and watched as they filmed the guys playing basketball. Then they tried it with the girls walking up to the game like they were supposed to. They got a few takes. The girls waved, Nick made a basket. Then it came time for Nick to meet Avery on the sidelines. The girls were surprised at how specific everything had to be. It wasn’t as hard as they thought it would be. James was really good at telling them what he wanted. After rehearsing for a while James seemed unsatisfied. “It’s missing something.” He said. He thought for a minute and then said, “Could you try it with a kiss?”

Nick nodded. Avery’s eyes nearly popped out of her head! “What?” she asked.

James had actually forgotten he wasn’t working with real actresses. He thought a moment more and then said, “The scene isn’t working like this.” He tried to explain. “You’re supposed to be his girlfriend. A girlfriend would kiss him. I don’t suppose we could get you to try it? At least once? If you’re too uncomfortable, we won’t do it.”

Avery stood there panicked. She looked at Natalie for help. Natalie was just as surprised as she was. The guys all stared at Avery waiting for a response. They had all been wondering if this was going to happen. Nick, who was standing right in front of her whispered, “It didn’t seem to bother you last night.”

“Alone on a dark beach is one thing,” she whispered back.

“It’s not like he’s asking you to kiss AJ, I am your boyfriend.”

Avery smiled at the mention of the title. “But in front of a camera? With everyone watching?” Avery slowly shook her head. She looked at James and said, “I don’t think I-

All of the sudden Nick kissed her. He didn’t even let her finish her sentence. Natalie laughed a little to herself. James and the other guys just watched surprised. After Nick kissed her, he smiled, “See? It’s not so bad.”

Avery turned bright red. She was speechless. Nick turned to James and said, “We’ll try it.”

“Great!” James said. “Let’s try it.”

Avery looked at James with a blank stare. Steve zoomed in close with his camera. “This is great stuff!” he said excitedly. Everybody looked over at him. “What?” he said. “This would make a great documentary!” Steve stopped to think for a second a smile spreading across his face. “You girls wouldn’t mind doing some more interviews, would you?”

Avery glared into the camera. Steve smiled, “Later then.” He laughed.

“Places!” James yelled into the megaphone. Natalie grabbed her head.

Everyone got ready and they tried it again. This time Nick kissed Avery instead of hugging her. She still seemed a little stiff, but for someone who had never had to do it before, she wasn’t bad. It only took them 7 takes to get the shot right. “Perfect!” James yelled.

Everyone cheered for Avery who blushed, “That’s my girl!” Nick said throwing his arms around her kissing her again.

Now it was time for Natalie to have to play basketball. “You ready?” James asked.

Natalie looked like she was going to be sick. “Just like we practiced.” AJ said.

“If Avery can master kissing scenes, I’m sure you can play a little basketball.” James reassured her.

“Is it too late to switch places? I could kiss Nick a lot easier than I could make a basket!” Natalie said.

Everyone laughed. “I’ll go easy on you.” Brian said.

“You’ll have to,” Natalie teased, “You have a serious hangover.”

They practiced a couple more times and finally they were ready to try it in front of the camera, but between the hangovers and Natalie’s athletic ability, it was not working. Natalie was ready to give up. James gave everyone a 5-minute break. AJ stayed on the court with Natalie. He gave her a little pep talk and showed her trick that helped him. He got her ready for one more try. Everyone got in their places and they tried it again. This time Natalie tried it the way AJ showed her and the ball finally went in the hoop! AJ help out his hands for the high fives but Natalie was so excited that she leaped into his arms. He caught her laughing and spun her around. Brian didn’t notice the look he had on his face as he watched them, but Steve did. He zoomed in on the reaction. “I told you that would help.” AJ said to Natalie.

“Thank you!” Natalie said kissing him on the cheek. AJ grinned, “Don’t thank me just yet. We have to do it again now.” He said putting her down.

Natalie frowned. “This time without leaping into my arms.” AJ explained.

Natalie realized what she had done. She looked around to see everyone laughing then she saw Brian. She looked back at AJ and then quickly stepped back. “Sorry.” She said to James. Won’t happen again. Promise.”

James laughed. They did it again. After only a few more takes, Natalie finally got it right. “Cut!” James yelled, “That’s a wrap!”

Everyone cheered relieved. The crew scattered, taking down lights and cameras. “So what do we do now?” Natalie asked walking up to Nick and Avery.

“We wait.” Nick said, “It will be a while before they are ready for us again.”

Natalie saw Brian sit down at the picnic table. She also saw Steve coming up to them with a video camera. “I think its time for you to kiss and tell.” Natalie laughed. “I’m just gonna…” she said walking away before Steve got there. She went and sat next to Brian. “How’s your head?” she asked.

“I’m starting to feel a little better. You?”

Natalie nodded. “What do you think we did last night anyway?”

“Huh?” Brian said startled by the question. He thought about what Kevin had told him.

“I can’t remember what happened.” Natalie explained. I’ve never been drunk before. I hope I didn’t do anything embarrassing.”

“Never?” Brian asked.

“Last night happened to be my first experience with alcohol.”

“I’m so sorry.” Brian said again.

Natalie smiled. “I’m sure I’ll forgive you when my head stops hurting.”

Brian handed her the bottle of asprin that was still in his pocket and the two started to laugh. Laura walked up to them, “I hate to interrupt the party, but George is looking for you Natalie. He needs to get you into makeup for the next scene.”

“OK.” Natalie said standing up.

Natalie tossed the asprin back to Brian and smiled. Laura sat down across the table from Brian. “She’s pretty cool.” Laura said as she left.

Brian gave Laura a funny look. “Must we do this every time?” he said.

“Oh come on! She’s cute! She’s sweet! What’s wrong with wanting to see my best friend find somebody special!”

“Are you telling me she’s special?” Brian said.

Laura gave him a challenging look, “Are you telling me she’s not?”

Laura waited for a response. Brian couldn’t say anything. “Well, well, well. It’s about time!” Laura said.

“What are you talking about?”

“You like her! Admit it!”

Brian said nothing. “Alright.” Laura sighed, “Then I guess I’ll go tell AJ it’s OK.” She said and started to get up. “Can’t say I didn’t try.”

Brian grabbed her arm and pulled her back down. “Tell him what’s OK?”

Laura smiled. “Natalie. He wants to go for it. He asked me if I thought she was interested.”

“What?” Brian asked.

“Hey,” Laura shrugged, “You know AJ.”

“Yeah, I know AJ!” Brian said getting angry.

Laura sat back with her mouth hanging open. “It’s true! You really do like her!” she said surprised, But, he’s wrong.”

Brian was so confused. “Who’s wrong? About what?”

Laura stared at Brian. She couldn’t believe it. “Kevin.” She finally explained,
“Oh, so the two of you are in this together now? That’s great!”

“He told me you had a crush, but it’s more than that. Isn’t it?” She said still amazed at the idea.

Brian glared at Laura. He was starting to get frustrated. “I can’t take any more of this!” He said popping another asprin in his mouth.

He threw his head down on the table. Laura laughed, “What’s wrong with you?”

“Haven’t you heard? I’ve got a massive hangover!” he said with his face still buried in his arms.

“Yeah I saw the tape.” Laura said giggling, “But that’s not why you’re upset.”
Brian sat back up. “What tape! There’s a tape!”

“Don’t change the subject.” Laura said ignoring the question. “Why are you so upset?”

“I’m not upset!” Brian snapped.

Several people standing nearby looked up. Laura was starting to get frustrated herself. “Why are you so afraid of liking someone?” she asked, “ Do you want to be alone forever? I mean is that really what you want? Because that’s what’s gonna happen if you’re not careful.”

Laura’s words hit Brian like a ton of bricks. He sat in silence fiddling with the bottle of asprin in his hands. Laura could see that he was upset but she didn’t say anything. She wanted him to think about it for a minute. After a few minutes of silence Laura felt bad. She sighed, “I don’t mean to sound harsh,” she said, “But I’m worried about you. You haven’t even looked twice at a girl since Linda. That was five years ago.”

Laura thought it best to leave him alone. “If there’s even a chance you might be interested in this girl, then you should go for it.” She said. She kissed him on the cheek and got up from the table. Brian sat there lost in thought.