- Text Size +
Chapter 13.

Natalie and Avery loved talking to George. They had a blast getting their hair and make-up done. Natalie took a lot more work than Avery. George had washed, dried, flatten, straightened and then curled Natalie’s hair. When it was Avery’s turn, she sat down in the chair and George threw her hair up into a ponytail and spun the chair around. “That’s it?” Natalie said. “I had to sit there for like an hour and she gets a pony tail?”

George laughed. “She has to get wet so I need something easy so it won’t take that long to fix between every take.”

“I have to get wet?” Avery asked.

George opened his mouth to explain but didn’t get the chance. Laura burst in the room saying, “OK I’m here.” She said, “And I’ve got outfits!” She held up a garment bag in either hand.

“They’re all yours!” George said, “Just don’t mess up the hair changing clothes.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem.” Laura said unzipping the clothing bags.

Natalie and Avery exchanged glances as Laura revealed two bikinis. “NO WAY!” Avery said.

“You don’t like it?” Laura asked, “Because I have one in purple too.”

“I thought you said you had out fits.”

“The next scene is a beach scene.”

Avery looked at Natalie. “I didn’t know?” Natalie shrugged.

“I am not going to be put on national television in a swimsuit! NO WAY!” she said again.

“James!” she said stepping out of the trailer, “James!”

Natalie followed Avery over to James. Nick and AJ were standing there. Steve heard her and came running with his camera. “Avery?” Nick asked, “What’s wrong?”

Avery tried to control her temper. She held up the little pink bikini. “You never said anything about swimsuits.” She tried to say calmly.

“You have a thing against swimsuits?” he asked.

“Only when I have to be seen in one.”

AJ took the swimsuit from Avery and held it up. “I bet you would look hot in this.” He said.

Natalie cringed. She waited for Avery to explode, but Avery bit her tongue. Nick hit AJ on the shoulder and took the swimsuit. “I don’t think that’s helping.” He said.

“You wore one yesterday to the beach.” Nick said. “How is this different?”

“First of all, this one has no middle. Second of all, there were only like 8 people there. The whole world is going to see this video.”

Nick looked at the swimsuit. It really was very cute. “Tell you what,” he said, “Why don’t you at least try it on. If you don’t like it, we’ll do something else.”

Nick walked off with Avery still trying to talk her into trying on the suit. “Is she really not going to wear a swimsuit?” James asked Natalie nervously, “Because I can’t have a beach scene without swimsuits. I have a bus full of extras arriving any minute.”

Natalie didn’t know what to say, she wasn’t sure Avery was going to let up on this one. She shrugged. “She really hates swimsuits.”

“That’s too bad.” AJ said shaking his head.

“I’ll try and talk to her if Nick can’t convince her, but no guarantees.”

Back in the trailer Avery was still in the dressing room. Nick and Laura were waiting. “You have to come out.” Nick was saying, “It’s only me and Laura.”

“I’m not wearing this.” Avery shouted from inside the dressing room.

“I have a wrap for it if that will help.” Laura said. She hung a skirt over the door and it disappeared into the dressing room.

They waited and in a minute the door slowly opened. Avery stuck her head out the door to see who was in the room. Only Nick Laura were there. “Let’s see it.” Nick said.

Avery came out pulling at the straps. She held her hands up. “Happy?”

Laura smiled, “It looks great!”

Nick stared. Laura and Avery looked at him. Avery waited for him to say something. He smiled and then took her hand and made her spin. “You look gorgeous! You have to wear it!”

Avery blushed. “It’s not like you’re the only one.” Nick continued, “We all have to wear them, and I hate having to take my shirt off. But I will if you will.”

James was starting to panic. He and Kevin were trying to come up with ideas for a new scene. Natalie was looking over at Brian. He was throwing the basketball. When he missed twice in a row Natalie wondered if something was bothering him. She was debating going over there when AJ whistled. Natalie turned around to see Avery, Nick and Laura headed their way. When AJ whistled, Avery turned bright red in the face and turned around. Nick grabbed her hand and dragged her over to James. “She’s gonna do it.”

James sighed with relief. “Thank you so much! I promise, no more surprises.”

A bus full of people drove up to the resort. “What’s that?” Avery asked.

“Oh good! The extras are here.”

“Extras?”

“Yeah, well we have to fill up the beach with people.”

“Models?” Avery asked.

James nodded. “I’m not doing this!” Avery said and started to leave again.
Nick grabbed her again. “Come on, please?” James said.

“Not one of those models is my girlfriend.” Nick said putting his arm around her.

“I’m sure Nick would be happy to make out with you in front of them. Then they won’t be thinking about what you’re wearing.” Natalie said.

Nick nodded his head. Avery smiled again and everyone laughed. Nick and Avery walked away and James went over to the bus. Natalie and AJ were left standing there. They walked over to the picnic table. Brian looked up and watched them sit down. “You know,” AJ said to Natalie, “If you’re worried about it too, I will gladly volunteer to make out with you in front of the other girls.”

Natalie laughed, “How sweet of you. If I need you, I’ll let you know.”

She got up and walked back to the trailer. AJ watched her go. She walked past the basketball court. She looked up to see Brian looking at her. She smiled. He forced a smile and waved but he seemed upset by something. Natalie stopped, she was going to ask him what was wrong but Laura came up to her before she could. “Ok, let’s get you finished now.” She said. Natalie smiled.

When everything was set up on the beach, it was like a whole different place. There were beautiful people everywhere. This was more what Natalie and Avery had expected in the first place, but now they both wished it was just them again. They were both wearing shirts and shorts over their swimsuits and they were getting very nervous. They sat in a couple of beach chairs looking at all the bleach blonde hoes. There were some good-looking guys there too, but none that compared to the Backstreet Boys. Natalie and Avery watched a group of girls gather around AJ. They were totally throwing themselves at him. Natalie laughed and told Avery that AJ offered to make out with her in front of all the girls. “But I’m sure he’ll find someone to make out with soon enough.” She said.

“Do you think we look like that around them?” Avery said.

“I hope not!” Natalie said, “I’d like to think I have some self respect.”

“You’re nothing like those girls.” Said a voice from behind them.

Avery and Natalie looked up to see Kevin smiling down at them. He was dressed and ready to go in his swim shorts. The girls tried not to stare. “Why do you think we were so surprised when we found out you knew who we were? These are the kind of girls we are used to meeting.” Kevin said. “You’re one in a million.”

The girls laughed. “No really,” Kevin continued, “I was thrilled when Nick told me he wanted you to be his girlfriend. It’s not often we have the opportunity to get to know nice girls. To tell you the truth, I was hoping you would both get snatched up.”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other. “But, the weeks not over yet.” Kevin said smiling mischievously at Natalie.

There was an awkward pause for a moment until James came over to describe the scene to them. “We’re almost ready to get started.” He began. “This one should be a piece of cake after this morning.”

“What do we have to do?”

“We’ll start with you and Avery laying on the beach.”

“In bikinis.” Avery grumbled.

“You’ll look great” James continued. “Nick and Brian will come up to you. Nick and Avery start making out. Brian smiles awkwardly. Nick tries to get Avery to go in the water with him and when she says no he picks her up and carries her in. Natalie laughs. Brian sits down next to Natalie. He’s nervous. Looks like he wants to say something. There’s a moment. Natalie smiles…”

Natalie began to get nervous. “Then,” James continued not noticing Natalie’s reaction, “A volleyball will land at Natalie’s feet. A guy runs up to her. He introduces himself and then Natalie runs off to join the game and that’s it.”

Natalie was relieved. “That’s not so bad.”

“I told you, piece of cake.” James said.

He took Natalie and Avery over to their places on the beach. They plopped down on their towels. “Just hang out here while I get all the extras where I want them.” James started to leave and then turned back around, “Oh and uh, the tank tops and shorts gotta come off now. I need to be able to see the whole picture the way it’s gonna look.” He smiled and ran off.

Across the beach, the guys all waited to get started. Steve was filming random shots of the crew at work. AJ grabbed him and said, “You should get that on camera so we can watch the replay later!”

All the guys looked up to see Natalie and Avery in tiny little bikinis. They watched the girls rub sunscreen on themselves. “That is so hot!” AJ said, his mouth dropping open when Natalie handed Avery the bottle and Avery rubbed lotion on Natalie’s back. Howie nodded his head. “Is it true that girls sometimes make out with their best friends just to see what it’s like?” AJ asked.

The other four guys looked at him funny. “What?” he shrugged, “I heard that happens sometimes. Do you think they have?”

Brian looked at Natalie and Avery, “I don’t think so.” He said.

“That’s too bad.” AJ said shaking his head.

Nick frowned, “Quit perving on my girlfriend.” He said.

They all laughed. James came up to them with a couple of surfboards. “We’re all set.” He said, “Everyone’s in place except you.”

James handed surfboards to Brian and Nick. “Time to get wet.”

Everyone got in their places and things got started. The first time the guys walked up to them, the girls were surprised to see them all wet. They tried to keep their cool but Nick and Brian were so hot. Both girls forgot what they were supposed to be doing. They had to start over. The second time was better. Nick sat down next to Avery and kissed her. It was still weird to Natalie to see Avery kissing a Backstreet Boy. She tried not to laugh. “Cut!” James yelled.

“I’m sorry.” Natalie said, “I didn’t mean to laugh, it’s all just a little weird to me still.”

“No, no, no, the weird look is great,” James explained, “But I need more from Nick and Avery. You guys have to be really lovey-dovey. Grosse even.”

“What, you want us to just totally make out here in the sand?” Nick said jokingly.

“Would you?”

“You’re serious?” Avery asked.

Nick smiled. “We’ll give it our best.” He said and winked at Avery.

They tried it again. This time Nick plopped down next to Avery practically tackling her. The reactions from both Brian and Natalie were genuine this time. Natalie laughed at first, but when Brian looked at her she really did feel awkward. He forced a smile. “Perfect! You girls are a couple of born actresses!” James said.

The crew scurried to move the cameras where they needed them for the next part of the scene. Nick had a great time dragging Avery off to the water. When they were done James said they needed to do it at least one more time, just to be safe. George took Avery to get dried off. Steve noticed that Brian stayed next to Natalie while they waited for her. He focused his camera on them. They didn’t know he was watching. Natalie kept looking at Brian. He was really quiet. He seemed to be lost in thought. “Are you feeling OK?” Natalie asked.

Brian snapped out of his daze. “Huh?” he asked.

“You’re so quiet. I’ve hardly talked to you today.”

Brian shrugged. “Is something bothering you?” Natalie asked again.

Brian was really nervous, he didn’t know how to answer that question. “My head still hurts a little I guess.” He said.

Natalie smiled. She didn’t think that was the problem, but she didn’t bring it up again. “I know the feeling.” She said instead, “I could really use a nap.”

Natalie lied back and threw a small towel over her eyes. Brian looked down at her with a sad smile on his face. He just sat there watching her until Avery came back. They did the scene again. “Cut!” James yelled. “Let’s move on.”

Natalie was surprised at how close they were putting the cameras to her. She was nervous about the next part of the scene. She was supposed to have ‘a moment’ with Brian. That was more acting than she had had to do so far. “The cameras are so close.” She said to James trying not to calm her nerves.

“This is the emotional part. We need good close ups.”

“But that’s like real acting. How am I supposed to do that?”

James smiled. “First of all, you relax. Then you become the character.”

“Become the character?” Natalie asked confused.

“Forget that there is anybody else around. Become the girl on the beach. Pretend that Brian really is your best friend. Imagine he is looking at you that way, and not just playing a role.”

“That doesn’t even sound easy in theory!” Natalie said feeling more nervous than ever. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“Just wait until you’re in the moment. You’ll find a way.”

The cameras were ready, Natalie sat back down and Brian soon joined her. Natalie thought it was strange that he seemed just as nervous as she was. They tried it a few times but every time it didn’t feel right to James. After a few takes, James turned to Steve who was standing next to him. “This isn’t working.” James said. “We have to do something.”

“I know!” Steve said, “Do it again. Make sure that the cameras are rolling on both of their faces. This may only work once.”

“What are you going to do?” James asked.

Steve smiled, “Trust me. Just role the tape.”

Making sure to stay out of the shot, Steve got as close to them as he could. He looked at James to make sure the cameras were on. James nodded. “This shouldn’t be so hard after last night.” Steve said to Natalie and Brian.

“Would you just tell me what happened already?” Natalie said totally annoyed.

Brian looked at Steve. His face turned pale. Steve smiled. “You mean Brian didn’t tell you?” he said to Natalie.

“Tell me what?” Natalie said.


She looked at Brian. He stared speechless. He opened his mouth to say something but no words came out. Natalie waited nervously. They both just looked at each other. James couldn’t believe it. This was exactly what he was looking for. He signaled to a man holding a volleyball off camera. The man tossed the ball and it landed at Natalie’s feet startling her. She jumped, and then looked up. “CUT!” James yelled. “Beautiful! Let’s move on.

Once again the crew hurried to move the cameras. Brian and Natalie started to realize what had happened. They looked at Steve. “Guilty.” He said laughing. “But it worked.”

Steve walked away still laughing. “I’m a genius.” He said to James, “They’re going to need a minute.”

Natalie looked back at Brian. He got nervous again. “Do you remember what happened last night?”

Brian shook his head. “I can’t remember a thing.”

“Then what is he talking about?”

“When I woke up this morning,” Brian hesitated and then took a deep breath. “I was wearing your particular shade of red.”

Natalie looked at him confused. He put a finger to his lips. “Oh.” Natalie said realizing what he was saying. She blushed. “Did Steve see it?”

Brian nodded. Natalie blushed for a minute and then smiled, “Did I kiss you or did you kiss me?”

Brian was surprised by Natalie’s reaction. “It’s important. I need to know.” Natalie said.

Brian shrugged, “I don’t know. Steve said he found us watching the game totally drunk. Apparently he got it on tape.”

“What?”

“He went to get Kevin for back up and Kevin said that when they walked in the room we were making out.”

“Making out?” Natalie replied.

Brian blushed. He hesitated again. “What is it?” Natalie asked.

“I had to wash the lipstick off of more than just my face.” Brian rubbed the side of his neck.”

Natalie smiled, holding back a laugh. “Sorry about that. Like I said, never been drunk before.”

“It’s OK.” Brian said.

They sat there for a minute. Brian was so nervous. Finally Natalie broke the silence, “Now that’s just disappointing.” She said.

Brian looked at her confused. “What?”

Natalie laughed, “Let’s not forget I am big fan. I finally get to make out with one of the band members and I can’t even remember it.”

There was a hint of a smile on Brian’s face. Natalie was glad to see it. He hadn’t smiled all day. “Not that it matters,” He finally said, “But I’m sure it was you who made out with me.”

“Is that so?” Natalie said.

Steve and James both looked up and smiled when they heard Natalie and Brian burst into laughter. Across the beach, Kevin and Laura had been watching them the whole time. They smiled at each other. “It’s amazing how perfect they are for each other.” Laura sighed.

“We can’t let him screw this one up.” Kevin replied.

“PLACES! LAST SEQUENCE!” James yelled.

Natalie and Brian, now much more relaxed, settled into their places. Natalie held the volleyball in her hands and waited to start. She had not yet seen the guy who was going to be standing there. When Natalie looked up, she almost blushed. Standing in front of her was a guy so hot that for a brief second she forgot she was sitting next to Brian Littrell. Perfectly built, curly jet-black hair, and the most beautiful deep blue eyes she had ever seen. He waited for her to hand him the ball but she was instantly lost in his smile. Both he and Brian were a little surprised by the reaction. Brian gave her a weird look but she didn’t see it. The guy looked at Brian and then back to Natalie. He held back a laugh and gestured to the ball. Natalie snapped out of it and handed the ball to him. Brian watched as the guy helped Natalie to her feet and shook her hand. The giddy smile never left her face. She walked off with him and never even heard James yell cut. Brian couldn’t believe the reaction. He just sat there looking at them talk. James came up to him, “Hey man, that was perfect. One take, very nice. That’s a wrap everyone!” He yelled.

“Look at her.” Brian said still staring at Natalie. “Is that guy really that good-looking?”

James laughed. “Laura seemed to think so when she saw him. Almost fell out of her chair.”

“Huh.” Brian said.

Nick came up to Brian and sat down, “Looks like you have some competition.” He said, “Avery freaked out. I guess that guy’s really hot.”

“I guess so.” Brian said. “It looks like you might have some competition too.”

Nick frowned watching Natalie introduce Avery to the hot boy. She also had a big smile on her face. “I don’t see it.” He said pouting.