- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! So the song in this chapter didn't actually exist when I wrote this story. Origionally I made a song up but when the black and blue album came out "How Did I Fall In Love With You" fit so perfectly that I went back and changed it. So... Pull out your Black and Blue CD and listen to the very last track and that's the song I have in mind when I read this story. Hope You're enjoying it!
Chapter 14.

All of the extras got back on the bus and once again it was just the crew and the girls. Natalie and Avery waved goodbye to the hot boy as the bus drove off. They went inside the lodge where everyone was sitting down to dinner. Everyone applauded when they walked in the room. Natalie and Avery were so embarrassed. They quickly found a place to sit. Nick had saved Avery a place next to him and Natalie sat in between Brian and Avery. “So are you done drooling over that guy?” Nick asked Avery.

“Yes, sadly, he’s gone.” She said.

“That guy was gorgeous!” Laura said.

“Too bad he was dumb as a stump.” Natalie said. “Did you talk to him? I think his hair jell must have killed off all his brain cells. But, still worth looking at.” Natalie held up a camera, “I got a picture!” She said smiling.

“Make me a copy of that!” Avery said.

“Me too!” Laura said dreamily.

“Me too!” George yelled from across the room. Everyone laughed.
“I’m so hungry.” Nick said changing the subject.

“I can’t believe how fast the day went. Is it always like that?” Avery asked.
“Not always that eventful,” James said, “But it does usually go by quickly.”
“So what happens next?” Natalie asked.

“Well we’re starting to lose the light, so we’re done for the day. “We’ll pick it up bright and early tomorrow morning. We should finish tomorrow if all goes well.”

“That’s it?”

“Yup.”

“Wow, I kind of thought there would be more to it than that.” Natalie said.

“Well we had filmed most of it before you ladies showed up. You know, all the parts where the guys sing and all the solo shots and stuff. We did everything except what we needed the models for.”

“Oh.” Natalie said. “That makes sense.”

“You seem disappointed?” James said.

Natalie shrugged, “I was kind of hoping we would get to hear them sing.” She said. “We haven’t even heard the song this video is for.”

“Yeah, what’s it called?” Avery asked.

“It’s called ‘How Did I Fall In Love With You’. The album is called Black and Blue. Don’t worry we won’t let you go home without copies of it.” James said. “And I’m sure the boys wouldn’t mind singing for you before you go either.”

“We’d love to!” Brian said to her. The other guys agreed.

“Thanks.” Natalie said. “That would really mean a lot.”

“Anything for the heroes of the hour.” Kevin said.

“Not to mention two of the best actresses I’ve ever worked with. You’re naturals. We’ll have to work together again sometime.”

“What?” Avery said, “Do it again?”

“Yeah, you really have some natural talent. You do realize that agents will be beating down your doors when this hits the airwaves? If you wanted to, I bet you could have a couple of really promising careers ahead of you. ”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other. The thought had never actually occurred to them before. “That’s really weird.” Avery said and Natalie agreed. Just then, Jerry walked into the room with a huge cake. He set it down in front of the girls. It said Congratulations Avery and Natalie on a job well done! And there were gummy bears and candles on it. Everyone clapped again. James raised his glass and everyone else followed suit. “To Natalie and Avery. Thanks for saving our butts!”

The girls blushed and blew out the candles. It was so embarrassing. Brian leaned over and whispered in Natalie’s ear, “The gummy bears were my idea.”

Natalie smiled and they all ate cake. After dinner everyone went their separate ways. It had been a long day and Natalie wanted to relax. Avery and Nick were headed back to Natalie and Avery’s place to play video games on the big screen, but Natalie wasn’t in the mood. She really just wanted some quiet time so she decided to go for a walk. She walked down to the beach and sat for a while. When it was completely dark she went back up to her cabin. She could hear voices outside. Avery must have been in the hot tub. Natalie wasn’t in the mood so she put on her running shoes and grabbed her headphones. She went up to the gym and got on the treadmill. For a while she walked at a very slow pace. The song ‘That’s What She Said’ played making her think about Paul. She started to pick up her pace. Before long she was steadily running faster and faster. She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t notice when Howie came into the gym. He watched her for a minute and then walked up to her. She didn’t hear him say hello, so he reached up and put his hand on her shoulder. It startled her so much that she let out a scream. She nearly fell. She turned off the machine and her music and sat down out of breath. “I’m sorry,” Howie said, “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“That’s OK. I just didn’t hear you come in.” Natalie replied.

“Yeah, you seemed pretty focused. The only time I run like that is when I’m really upset.”

Natalie smiled. “So what’s wrong?” Howie asked.

“Just trying to figure some stuff out. I came on vacation to clear my head but I haven’t really had the time yet.”

“Guy trouble?”

“Guys, life, stuff.”

“You want to talk about it? Comfort in strangers and all?”

Natalie and Howie sat on a couple of bikes and Natalie told him what was on her mind. She told him about Paul and how she just wants to get away, but that she didn’t know what she wanted to do with her life. “It all sounds like pretty normal stuff.” Howie said, “Everyone has to go through it sometime.”

“What about you?”

“I think about that kind of stuff all the time. I’ve been doing this since I was a little kid. Most days I love it, but sometimes I wonder why I do it. Stardom is a lonely life. It’s not easy.”

“How do you deal with it?”

“I spend a lot of time in the gym.”

Natalie laughed. “I talk to my family all the time and I see them when I can. Occasionally I find myself a girlfriend too but it’s never seems to work out.”

“Are you all single right now?”

“Kevin’s got a girlfriend. Oh and I guess Nick now.”

Natalie and Howie both smiled, “That’s really weird.” Natalie said and they both laughed. “So how come it never works out?” Natalie asked.

“I guess it’s the stress of our job, and being famous. Most girls can’t deal with it. Us being gone all the time, being in the spotlight, surrounded by beautiful women all the time. It takes its toll on relationships.”

“That sounds awful.”

“Its not so bad. We get to experience a lot of amazing things. But, it does get lonely.” Howie said and winked at Natalie.

“I know what you mean.” She said.

Natalie was tired from all the running so she decided to go back. She walked through the lobby and Jerry stopped her. “Hey Brian was looking for you.” He said.

“Really?” Natalie said surprised.

“Yeah, he just walked outside. I think he was going back to his room.”

“Do you know what he wanted?” Natalie asked.

Jerry shook his head. He said good night and Natalie left. On her way back to her room she saw Brian down at the basketball hoop. She smiled to herself and then headed that way. As she walked up to him, he missed a shot. She smiled and said, “Now I know something must be on your mind. That’s the fourth time I’ve seen you miss today.”

Brian turned around surprised to see her. She smiled. “Jerry said you were looking for me?” she asked.

He smiled. “You want to play?” he asked.

“I would, but I just came from the gym, I’m all worked out.”

“Oh.” Brian said. He shot the ball and missed again. He shook his head and sat down next to Natalie. He sighed. “My game is so off today. I think you might be contagious.”
“Oh, that’s nice.” Natalie laughed.

Brian laughed and then looked at Natalie. “You want to go for a walk with me?” he said.

Natalie smiled and they got up. They walked down to the beach. It was dark, but a ways down the beach they saw a light so they headed toward it. As they got closer they saw that the light was coming from a dock. They dock was empty and there was a single lamppost at the end of it. Natalie and Brian walked out to the end of the dock and hung their feet over the edge. For a moment they just sat there looking at the sky. Everything was silent. Brian broke the silence by saying, “I’m glad you and Avery were here this week.”

“Thanks.” Natalie said, “I’m glad we were too. It’s been a lot of fun.”

“It has been fun.” Brian said. “But that’s not why I’m glad you were here.”

Natalie looked at Brian confused. He smiled nervously, “I’ve had to do a lot of thinking this week. I had to confront my past. I realized some things about myself. Things I should have realized a long time ago.”

“You’re a step ahead of me then. I came on this vacation to figure things out and I’m more confused that when I left.”

Now Brian was confused, “What do you mean?”

Natalie smiled, “It’s nothing. I thought we were talking about you.”

“Actually, I was kind of talking about you.”

“How has my being here led you down a path of self discovery?”

Brian hesitated. He knew the answer to that question, but was afraid to say it. He sat there looking at Natalie. She waited for the answer. The wind kicked up suddenly and gave Natalie a chill. She grabbed her arms. She scooted right up next to Brian and he put his arm around her. “So,” Natalie said watching her feet dangle from the dock, “You have to tell me how you had this epiphany because I need to have one of my own.”

Brian smiled and said, “I ate a lot of gummy bears?”

Brian laughed. Natalie nudged him in the side. “I’m serious. What did you learn about yourself this week?”

Brian stopped playing around, “Well I realized that.” He stopped, “Do you hear that?”
Natalie listened for a minute, “Sounded like thunder.”

Just then they was lightning off in the distance. “Looks like a storm is coming.”

“We’re a long way down the beach. We’d better head back.”

They started to walk back up the beach and with a crash of thunder the rain began to fall. It was pouring. Brian and Natalie hurried up the beach but had a hard time finding their way back in the dark. When they finally got back to the resort they were drenched and shivering. “My rooms closer.” Brian said through the noise of the storm.

Natalie nodded and they ran to Brian’s room. When they got inside, they realized the power was out. Natalie flipped a switch and the fire roared to life. “Gas still works.” She said.

Brian grabbed a couple of towels, changed his clothes and handed Natalie the same jersey she had worn the other day. When Natalie was dry, they sat down on the couch wrapped up in a blanket. They stared into the fire listening to the storm pound against the windows. “Here we are again.” Natalie said.

Brian laughed, “And I still wish that fire crackled.”

“At least this time we have the rain. I love the sound of the rain.”

Brian stared as Natalie closed her eyes to take in the sound. He wanted to kiss her so bad. The room filled with light and then a loud crash shook them. Natalie opened her eyes, “That must have been right outside.” She said.

She looked at Brian and realized that he was staring at her. “What is it?”

“I was just thinking about the other night, wondering what I did to make you cry.”

Natalie remembered the night. The fire, how he almost kissed her. She got quiet and the smile left her face. “I don’t want to do it again.” Brian said.

“It wasn’t your fault.” Natalie said forcing a smile.

“I’m pretty sure it was.” Brian said. “You know I wasn’t just trying to-”

“It wasn’t your fault.” Natalie interrupted.

“Then what was it, because you have that same look on your face right now.”

“Just part of my past that I haven’t confronted yet.” Natalie said with a sigh. She looked at Brian, “You never did tell me how you did it.”

“I thought it was obvious.” He said.

Natalie stared confused. Before she had time to react, Brian kissed her. Natalie was speechless. She stared at Brian. He stared back nervously. Natalie started to speak but Brian pressed his finger against her lips. Natalie was so nervous she started to shake. Brian wrapped his arms around her pulling her close and kissed her again. Natalie melted in his arms and kissed him back.

“I haven’t wanted to kiss anyone since the day Linda broke my heart, but since the other night, it’s all I’ve wanted to do. You’ve stirred up emotions in me that I didn’t think I could feel anymore. I’ve been so confused these last couple days but I finally realized that it doesn’t have to be so confusing.”

Natalie sat back trying to take in everything that just happened. She was so excited and confused and sad and happy all at the same time. Completely overwhelmed, she sat there silent trying her best not to cry. Brian studied her. He was so nervous. He hadn’t put himself out there like that in years. He waited for a response but none came. When he couldn’t take it anymore he asked, “Are you OK?”

Natalie looked at him and forced a smile. “What are you thinking?” Brian asked starting to regret his decision.

Natalie just looked blankly at him. So many thoughts were running through her head she didn’t know where to start. She decided it was all too much to think about at the moment and she pushed it to the back of her mind. She looked at Brian. “I’m sorry if…” Brian said, “I kind of thought I wasn’t alone there.”

Natalie smiled and shook her head. “It’s not that,” She said, “It’s just been a long time since I’ve felt this way too.”

Brian let out a sigh of relief. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He kissed her again.

The wind and rain hadn’t let up since it started. Back in the presidential suite, Nick Avery, Laura, and Kevin sat around in the dark telling ghost stories. The lightning flashed and the thunder crashed. They were starting to get each other spooked. “I can’t believe this storm!” Avery said. “Is this common in Florida?”

“It’s actually kind of freakish.” Nick replied.

“I should check in with James and see if this is going to change things tomorrow.” Kevin said.

He picked up the telephone to call the front desk but there was no dial tone. He tried his cell. “Cell’s not working either. I think I’m going to go up to the lodge and see what I can find out.”

“I’ll go with you. It’s getting late. I need to head back to my room. We can make a run for it together.” Laura said.

“If you guys are going, then I guess I’ll come with you.” Nick said. He looked at Avery, “I should let you get some sleep.”

“You can’t all leave. I don’t want to be stuck here by myself.”

“Why don’t you stay with her Nicky? If there’s any changes, I’ll come back and let you know.”

Nick smiled at Avery. “Twist my arm.” He said.

Kevin and Laura said goodbye and Nick and Avery were left alone with only the light of the fire. They looked at each other, “What now?” Avery said.

Nick shrugged. “It is late. Maybe we should try and get some sleep.” Nick started to make himself comfortable on the couch while Avery changed into her pajamas. She was still a little creeped out from the stories and while she was in her room lightning struck a palm tree right outside her window. She screamed and Nick came back to see if she was all right. “Just a little jumpy.” She said laughing it off. “Would you mind staying in here with me tonight? I don’t want to be alone. It’s silly for you to sleep on the couch when there is plenty of room here.”

Nick smiled and the two of them climbed into the huge bed. Avery snuggled up right next to him. Nick threw his arm around her and pulled her as close to him as he possibly could. Avery was in heaven! The thunder crashed again and Avery said, “I wonder where Natalie went. I hope she’s OK.”

“I’m sure she is.” Nick said. He kissed her and squeezed her tightly and they were both asleep within minutes.

Natalie was OK. In fact, Natalie was way more than OK. For the second time this week Natalie had fallen asleep in Brian’s arms. Brian picked her up to lay her in his bed. As he placed her under the covers thunder roared outside. Natalie was startled half awake. She opened her eyes briefly and smiled at Brian. “Go back to sleep.” He whispered.

Natalie closed her eyes again. Brian kissed her forehead and reached up to push her hair away from her face. She grabbed his hand and kissed it. “Stay.” She whispered half asleep. Brian smiled and then laid down beside her. She held his hand against her face as she slept. For a while Brian just laid there awake watching her sleep.