- Text Size +
Chapter 3.

The next two weeks seemed never ending. Natalie managed to change her schedule so that she didn’t have to work with Paul at all before she went on vacation. She thought that would give her enough time to let the humiliation pass. After her vacation, she would be rejuvenated. She would deal with him then. Avery was so excited for vacation she couldn’t stand it. Natalie and Avery had to close with Josh and Marla the night before they were going to leave, but when they clocked in, Marla wasn’t there. “She’s got Mono.” Josh explained.

“Who’s covering for her?”

As Natalie asked the question, the door to the office swung open. Paul stood in the doorway.”

“Great!” Avery said, “As if this night wasn’t going to go by slow enough.”

Natalie forced a smile and then said, “Me and Avery have the Kitchen.”

The girls hurried out the door. Josh just looked at Paul confused. “What did you do to piss them off?” He teased.

The night went so slow. Natalie was in her own personal hell. Every two minutes she was reminded of Paul. His wedding was only a few days away. Natalie just couldn’t handle it. She thought the night would never end. But eventually, it did. When the girls were done with their work, they headed to the office to clock out. Paul and Josh were already in the office. The girls stopped outside the door. “Lets just make this quick. Go in, punch out and then get out of here.”

Natalie nodded. With a deep breath, she swung the door open. She and Paul made eye contact for a brief moment but she quickly looked away. Both she and Avery left without saying a word. They were almost out the front door when they heard a voice say, “Natalie wait.”

Natalie froze at the sound of Paul’s voice. Avery looked back at Paul and then to Natalie, “I’ll wait for you in the car.” She said and hurried out the door.

Natalie didn’t move. She didn’t say a word. She was too terrified to even look at him. “Natalie?” Paul said again.

Natalie still didn’t move. A door slammed loudly and Josh came walking past Natalie, “Have a nice trip.” He said as he left the building. Natalie and Paul were all alone. Everything was silent. Natalie looked at the front doors just steps away. She wanted to run but her feet wouldn’t let her. She felt a hand on her shoulder. “Can we talk?”
Natalie took a deep breath and held it in. She walked over to the bench by the door and sat down. She waited for Paul to speak. Paul sat down next to her and neither said anything. Natalie finally broke the silence. “I got you a wedding gift. I gave it to Josh since I won’t be there, so don’t let him tell you it’s from him.”

Paul smiled. “That was sweet of you. Can we talk about the other day?”

“Let’s just pretend it didn’t happen, OK? We’ve been friends for a long time. It’s OK.”

“But I had no idea you-“

Paul couldn’t finish his sentence. Natalie shook her head, “That was a long time ago. The other day, I was just… I have a lot going on right now.” She said.

“So what you said, you didn’t mean it?”

Natalie looked at Paul. She wanted to deny it, but she couldn’t find the words. She just stared at him trying not to cry. “Why didn’t you ever say anything? If I’d have known.” Paul sighed, “Things could have been a lot different.”

“Look, it’s OK, really. I’m fine. I’m going to spend a week on the beach. Relax, clear my head, and maybe, if I’m lucky, find a hot Florida boy to make out with. And, when I get back, everything will be fine.”

Natalie stood up to leave. Paul stood up and grabbed her hand. He ran his fingers through her hair looking deeply into her eyes. Natalie Held her breath nervously. “Is he about to kiss me?” she thought.

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!

There was a pounding at the door. Paul took a step back. He opened the door to find Josh, “Dude, I’m glad you’re still here. I left my wallet in the back.”

“Josh ran to get his wallet. Paul looked back at Natalie who had not even flinched. She stood there with wide eyes watching Paul. “I’m sorry.” He said. “I love Emily so much. I want to marry her and I would never do anything to hurt her, it’s just, I can’t help it.” He looked into Natalie’s eyes again and said, “I never completely got over you.”

Natalie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Paul moved in close again. “Just one kiss.” He whispered, “So I don’t have to spend the rest of my life wondering.”

Natalie closed her eyes to keep the tears back. Her body started to tremble and she took a deep breath. Paul reached out, and with one hand, pulled her in for a kiss. Natalie didn’t know how to react, so she didn’t. When Paul pulled away Natalie said, “I have to go.”

She ran out the door and Jumped into the car where Avery had been pressed up against the window trying to see what was going on. Natalie sat in her seat wiping the tears from her eyes while Avery watched the lights inside flicker and turn off. Paul and Josh walked out. Paul looked in their direction. “What just happened?” Avery asked Natalie. “Because from here, it looked like he kissed you. Did he just kiss you?”

“I gotta get out of here!” Natalie replied. “Let’s leave tonight. We’re already packed, why wait till morning? Let’s just go now. ” She said again.