- Text Size +
Chapter 7.

Natalie turned off the movie and looked at Avery and Nick asleep in the chair. They looked so peaceful. She smiled. She threw a blanket over them. Brian looked at the clock. “I can’t believe they’re asleep. It’s only 10:30. The night is still young. There must be something we can do around here, unless you’re tired.” Brian said.

“I doubt I’ll be getting much sleep tonight.” Natalie said holding up an empty bottle of Mountain Dew.

“So, what do you want to do?” Brian asked.

Nick stirred in his chair almost waking up. Natalie shrugged and said, “I don’t know, but lets go out on the patio so we don’t wake them up.”

“You have your own hot tub?” Brian said when they stepped outside.

“Pretty cool huh? I’ve never stayed in a room this nice before.”

“Let’s get in.” Brian suggested.

“You don’t have a suit.” Natalie said.

“These are just basketball shorts. They’ll work. Go put on a suit and come in with me.”

Natalie stood there thinking until Brian took off his shirt. Natalie tried not to stare. (Or hyperventilate.) “Well I’m getting in,” he said.

Natalie smiled and disappeared inside. She came back a few moments later with a hand full of gummy bears. Now it was Brian who was trying not to stare as Natalie slipped into the water. “Gummy bears?” she asked.

“What’s with you and gummy bears? I don’t think I’ve seen you without them.”

“It’s stupid really,” Natalie explained. “I’m a little superstitious. They’re good luck.”

Brian looked at her curiously, “Are you in need of some good luck?” he asked.

“Oh no, it’s the opposite. I seem to be having good luck right now. These are so I don’t lose it.” She said tossing a couple on her mouth.

“And that really works for you?” Brian said skeptically.

“So far so good.”

“In that case, better throw some of those my way.”

They both started to laugh. Brian’s laugh turned into a stare. “I can’t figure it out.” He said shaking his head. “You listen to everything from rock to Frank Sinatra, you cry at movies and you think gummy bears are a lucky charm.”

“They are. So what is it you can’t figure out?”

“What is it that makes you so different from every other girl I meet?”

“For starters,” Natalie teased, “I didn’t instantly throw myself at you, take off my clothes and offer to have your babies.”

Brian laughed, “I don’t think that’s it.”

“No? Then you have me at a loss too.”

Brian ate a couple of gummy bears. “You’re wrong you know.” He said.

“About what?”

“Girls don’t take their clothes off for me… A.J. maybe, but not me.”

“They would if you asked them too.” Natalie said.

Brian looked at her curiously and asked, “Would you?”

“No.” Natalie said smiling, “But that’s what makes me different.”

Brian smiled. Natalie looked at him seriously. “Are you asking me to?”

“No.” Brian said embarrassed, “I didn’t mean… I would never… uh- not that I don’t – I mean… I wasn’t brought up that way.”

Seeing how flustered Brian was getting, Natalie couldn’t hold her straight face anymore and burst into laughter. When Brian realized she was only giving him a hard time he splashed water at her. “Brat!” he said.

Natalie splashed him back so he dunked her. “And I’m the brat?” Natalie said laughing.

“You started it.”

“That’s real mature.”

Brian and Natalie had a good laugh and then settled down. There was silence again. “Ok,” Natalie said, “Now it’s your turn.”

“For what?”

“To spill.”

Brian was confused. “You know 3 things about me that only my close friends would know, so now it’s your turn to tell me 3 things about yourself.”

“Three things huh? Let me think.”

“And none of that my favorite color is… stuff. I want to know something real.”

Brian thought for a minute and then smiled. “I got one. I am completely terrified of heights.”

Natalie smiled. “Oh, and, I love romance novels.” Brian added.

“Romance novels?” Natalie asked surprised. “Didn’t see that one coming. You mean like Danielle Steel?”

“All kinds, as long as it’s a good love story.”

Natalie smiled suppressing a giggle. Brian got nervous. “Look, you can’t go around talking about to anyone. The other guys don’t even know about that.”

“Really?” Natalie teased.

“I’m serious! They would never let me live that down!”

Natalie grinned and then said with a sigh, “Not a word. I promise. So, one more.”

“I think that one should count as two.”

“No way.”

Brian thought for a minute. “Ok fine. I’m single.”

“That doesn’t count. The whole world knows you’re single.”

“Let me finish.”

Natalie looked at him intrigued. “I’m single, and I have been since I was 17. Five years now.”

Natalie stared at him surprised. “Five years, and I thought 5 months was a long time. Wow.”

“Is that how long you’ve been single?” Brian asked.

“Me? No. That’s how long Avery’s been single.”

Brian was really confused. “You mean you’re not single? You have a boyfriend?”

Brian almost seemed disappointed. “No,” Natalie explained, “I’ve never actually had a boyfriend.”

Now Brian was staring shocked. “Never? But why?” Brian asked

Natalie shrugged. “I’m single by choice.”

Brian looked at her unconvinced. “Nobody’s single entirely by choice.”

“I date all the time. It’s just...”

Natalie hesitated and then sighed. Her smile faded. “That doesn’t look like the face of someone who is single by choice.” Brian said.

“Well, it’s not that I couldn’t get a boyfriend, it’s just that the only one I’ve ever wanted was the one I can never have.”

Are you talking about that guy?” Brian asked. A little startled by the question, Natalie just looked at Brian confused. “You know,” Brian said, “The one you were talking about at the beach this morning… The one that kissed you?”

Natalie was horrified. “You heard that?”

Brian just shrugged and nodded his head. Natalie turned bright red. She didn’t know what to say. “I thought we were supposed to be talking about you.” She finally said. “What’s your story?”

Brian smiled, “Single by choice.”

“And the reason you choose to stay single would be?”

“Well,” Brain hesitated. Natalie looked at him expectantly, “The only one I’ve ever loved broke my heart, and since then I haven’t found anybody that is worth risking another heartbreak.”

Natalie was surprised to hear a guy talking about some girl breaking his heart. She felt so bad for him; she just wanted to give him a big hug. Instead, they both just sat there in silence. Natalie pulled her hands out of the water and examined them. They were very puckered. Brian noticed the wrinkles and said, “Maybe we should get out before we make ourselves sick.”

When Natalie and Brian got out of the water, Natalie realized that she left her key in her room. “Locked out?” Brian asked.

Natalie nodded. “I could knock, but I would hate to wake up Avery and Nick. They looked so cute all curled up in that chair. Maybe we could get another key from the lodge.”

Brian and Natalie started walking down the path toward the lodge. A breeze kicked up and Natalie started to shiver. “My room is on the way, we could just go there.”

Natalie rubbed the goose bumps on her arms. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

Natalie followed Brian into his room and looked around. It was still nice but it was all one big room. It resembled a studio apartment. Brian handed her a towel and then disappeared into the bathroom. Natalie wrapped herself in the towel and then plopped down onto the sofa. Brian reappeared moments later wearing a dry pair of shorts. “You can put this on if you want.” He said handing Natalie one of his shirts. Natalie slipped the jersey over her head. It smelled like him! “It’s getting late.” Natalie said looking at the clock on the nightstand. “I think I’m going to have to wind down a bit if I’m ever going to sleep tonight.”

“Winding down sounds nice.” Brian said. He turned on the fireplace and sat down next to Natalie on the couch. She fought to control her excitement. She couldn’t believe this was happening. “There is nothing more soothing than the sound of a crackling fire. It’s romantic, don’t you think?” Brian said.

“Too bad that’s a gas fireplace.” Natalie chuckled.

They both stared into the glowing fire, “Good point.” Brian said shaking his head. “I have got to stop reading romance novels.”

Natalie laughed. “I think it’s hot.”

“Don’t you mean cute? Or sweet? …Or gay?”

“No, really, most girls love a guy who’s not afraid of his softer side. There’s nothing wrong with being a romantic. I myself am hopeless.”

Natalie jumped up. “I’m like Cinderella waiting for my prince charming to come and sweep me off my feet.” She said.

Brian smiled watching her twirl around as if she were actually being swept off her feet. “I thought we were winding down,” he said.

“You’re right.” Natalie said falling back to the sofa.

The two stared into the fire and there was silence again. “Man I really wish that fire was crackling.” Brian said. “It’s just not as romantic this way.”

“A fire is always romantic, with or without the crackling.” Natalie argued.

They gazed into the flames. After a minute or two of silence Brian asked, “Is it working?”

“Is what working?”

“The fire.” Brian replied.

“Is the fire working?” She asked still confused, “We’re sitting alone quietly by the light of the fire. It’s very romantic. Why?” Natalie released her stare from the flames and looked at Brian. Her tone turned playful, “Are you trying to seduce me or something?”

Brian looked at Natalie and smiled. “I meant, is it soothing? Are you starting to wind down at all?”

“Oh.” Natalie said quickly turning her attention back to the fire.

Natalie could feel Brian still looking at her. “Why?” he asked curiously, “Are you being seduced?”

Natalie looked back at Brian who was staring into her eyes. Everything was silent, but her mind was so loud. “Am I being seduced? You’re Brian Littrell! You had me at hello!” she thought. Her heart started pounding. Brian never broke his stare. Natalie finally caught up with the moment. “It would take more than a gas fire to seduce me. It would take some serious skills.”

“Skills? Let me tell you something, I got skills.” Brian teased. “More skills than you could handle. Single by choice, remember? You may not know it yet, but I am irresistible.”

“Oh, really?” Natalie laughed.

Brian nodded confidently. “All right then, if you’re so good, do it. Seduce me.”

Brian looked at her curiously. “Come on,” Natalie continued, “Let’s see these skills.”

Natalie pulled her feet up on the couch sitting Indian style across from Brian. “Ok, I’m a stranger. Pick me up.”

Brian smiled wickedly at Natalie. “Fine. But just remember, you asked me to.”

Natalie was intrigued at how confident he seemed. She folded her arms and waited for him to make a move. He sat there thinking for a moment and then looked at her, his smile fading. “I can’t do it,” he said.

Natalie sat confused as Brian got up and stood in front of the fire. “I can’t?” Natalie repeated. “That’s it?” she stood up and joined him by the fire. “All that talk and you’re not even going to try? What about all your skills?” she said laughing.

Brian looked at Natalie completely serious and said, “I can’t pretend with you.”

Natalie looked at him confused, “If I wanted to have a meaningless fling with some random girl I would just walk up to her and take her in my arms like this…”

Brian swept Natalie into his arms and pulled her in close. “I would look into her eyes and tell her how she’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen and how my heart aches to be close to her.”

He stared into Natalie’s eyes and ran his fingers along her face pushing her hair behind her ear. Natalie held her breath for a moment and although she was dying inside, she tried to resist. She smiled. “And the girls fall for that?” she teased.

“That’s why I can’t pretend with you.” Brian said, the look on his face still serious. He did not let go of his grip. “You’re not some random girl anymore.”

Brian pulled Natalie even closer. He held her face just inches from his own. Natalie could feel a lump in her throat. Brian showed a hint of a smile; his gaze impenetrable. She gulped. “For the first time in five years,” Brian whispered, “I’m starting to think it’s worth the risk of another heartache.”

He never broke eye contact. Natalie stood there in his arms, speechless. Her whole body was trembling. She was so nervous. She took a deep breath. Brian reached up with one hand to pull her in for a kiss the exact same way that Paul had done just days before. Natalie closed her eyes as she remembered the kiss. The vision of Paul made her start to shake. She could feel Brian’s breath and just as his lips were about to touch hers, she mumbled to herself, “Not again.”

Brian pulled back startled. He wasn’t sure what was more surprising, the tear running down Natalie’s cheek, or the fact that he almost kissed her. “What?” he whispered still kind of dazed by the moment.

Natalie just stood there frozen. She was trying to figure out what had just happened and not sure how she was going to explain it. Another tear rolled down her cheek. Somewhat terrified, she looked at Brian. He seemed so confused. “Are you alright?” He finally whispered breaking the silence.

“I’m sorry.” Natalie said, her voice cracking.

Brian smiled. “No, no, I feel like I should be apologizing to you.”

This comment took Natalie by surprise. “For what?” she asked.

“I don’t know.” Brian replied. He was surprised at himself. He only meant to play but the way he was about to kiss her was real. He wasn’t sure how things became so serious so fast. He somehow felt like she ad seduced him, not the other way around. He sat down on the couch, a little overwhelmed and still very confused. Kelly was crying and he didn’t know what he done to make her so upset.

Natalie felt really bad. “Hey,” she said laughing away her tears, “In all fairness, you did warn me, right?”

Brian didn’t know how to react. He just sat there like a deer in headlights. He was surprised when Natalie sat down on the couch cuddling right up next to him. She rested her head on his shoulder. Brian was so confused. He didn’t say a word but he wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. She was soon asleep in his arms. Brian just sat there running his fingers through her hair. For some reason he just didn’t want to let her go.

The next morning the sun was shining through the window, another beautiful day in Florida. Brian woke up a little disoriented. When he realized he was on the couch, he sat up and looked over at his bed. Natalie was still sleeping peacefully. Brian smiled to himself and then quietly got up to make a pot of coffee. He looked out the window and saw Kevin coming up the path. Kevin waved. Brian opened the door and put his finger to his lips. He pointed to Natalie. Kevin’s eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open. “Did you?” He whispered pointing at Natalie.

“No.” Brian assured him.

Kevin still looked confused. “Coffee?” Brian asked holding out a cup.

Kevin nodded and took the cup. Again he looked at Natalie sleeping peacefully in his little cousin’s bed. He couldn’t believe it. The two stepped out onto the front porch leaving the door open just a crack. “That is the girl we met yesterday, right?”

“Natalie, yes. But it’s not what it looks like! Nothing happened.”

Then what is she doing sleeping in your bed wearing your favorite jersey?” Kevin asked, “Not that it’s a bad thing. It’s really about time if you ask me. But, it’s very surprising.”

“You think you’re surprised!” Brian said, “It all still feels like some kind of crazy dream to me.”

“What happened?” Kevin asked impatiently.

“I’m not really sure.” Brian sighed, “I’ve never met anyone like her. It’s like she has some kind of strange power over me or something. I’m so confused.”

Kevin smiled at his cousin. “Tell me what happened and I’ll see if I can help.”

“It started form the moment we took that pizza to her last night. She answered the door in this little night gown…”

Kevin laughed. “What?” Brian asked defensively.

“I’m sorry cuz, I just usually hear this kind of thing from A.J. It sounds kind of strange coming from you.”

“No, no, no! It wasn’t like that. She had this stuff on her face. Some kind of cream, and it was like, I don’t know. She was just real.”

“Could it be? Is it really possible? My lonely little lovesick cousin has got himself a new crush?”

Brian stared into his cup of coffee. He was realizing that his cousin might actually be right. It was like the thought had never occurred to him before. “I can’t believe it. My hats off to this girl. I was sure you were a lost cause.” Kevin chuckled.

“How is this supposed to be making me feel better?”

“I’m sorry, you’re right. So, how did you get from that, to this?” Kevin asked pointing inside.

“That’s kind of a long story.” Brian said.

Kevin put his arm around Brian. “Then it’s a good thing we have the whole day off.”
Brian sighed. “Come on cuz,” Kevin begged. “I’m dying to know how this girl did in one night, what no one has been able to do in 5 years.”

Brian began to tell Kevin the whole story. Inside, Natalie opened her eyes slowly and looked around the room. At first she couldn’t remember where she was. She soon realized that she was in Brian’s bed, but she couldn’t remember how she got there. She sat up and pulled her hair out of her face. She didn’t see Brian anywhere. She rubbed her head and sighed as she remembered what had happened last night. “Nice going stupid!” she said to herself.

She got out of bed and stretched. She heard mumbled voices coming from outside. As she got closer to the door she recognized Kevin’s voice. He was saying, “She was crying? Why?”

“I don’t know.” Brian said frustrated, “I think she said ‘not again.’ But…”

Natalie cringed. She felt so stupid! She took a deep breath and opened the door. “Morning.” She said nervously.

Brian and Kevin jumped to their feet. Brian was so nervous he nearly spilled his coffee. “Good morning.” Kevin said holding out his hand. “Kevin.”

“I remember.” Natalie said and shook his hand.

“It’s nice to see you again.” Kevin said smiling at his cousin who just stood there. “Can I get you a cup of coffee?” He asked.

His calm manner made Natalie relax. She smiled for real this time. “No thanks. I think I’m just going to go back to my room and um, I don’t know, get dressed. I’ll bring this back later if that’s ok?” Natalie said pulling on the jersey she was wearing. Brian smiled nervously and nodded.

“It was nice seeing you again.” Natalie said to Kevin.

“Pleasure was mine.” Kevin said as Natalie turned to leave.

“Hey!” Kevin called to her, “Why don’t you and your friend meet us at the lodge in an hour. We’ll all do brunch.”

Natalie looked at Brian, “I’d like that.” She said.

Kevin watched her leave, laughing as she hopped away in nothing but an old jersey. “I can’t knock your taste.” He said and looked at Brian who was still staring down the path at Natalie.