- Text Size +
Laura turned over in bed and watched Brian sleeping. His face looked calm and relaxed, though even in sleep it appeared that he was smiling. It was something Laura loved about him, he always had a quick smile and what a smile. Laura grinned as she continued to watch him sleep. The night passed like a dream. They stayed up all night talking, only sleeping when neither of them could keep their eyes open any longer.

“Hello.” Brian said immediately smiling at Laura.

Laura smiled back, “Hello.” She replied meekly.

Brian reached over brushing a few strands of Laura’s auburn hair from her face. “I wish I could stay here forever.”

As if on cue, a knocking sound came from Brian’s door. “Brian, we got to get going, get up.” Howie’s voice wafted through the door.

“Coming!” Brian shouted back. He threw back the covers and found a new shirt ripping the old one off and throwing the new blue collared one on. “We have to think of a way to get you out of here without people seeing.” He said hastily.

Laura jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom shutting the door. She swore she heard the doorknob to the room being turned. She locked the door and sat down on the toilet as she heard voices on the other side of the door talking to Brian.

“Bri, what’s taking you so long man?” She heard Nick’s voice.

“I slept in late.” Brian answered; an uneasy tone could be heard even to Laura.

“Hey Brian, what are these?”

Laura looked down at her feet; her shoes were still in the other room. Nick must have found them. She slapped her forehead.

“Why’s the bathroom door closed?” Nick asked even more persistent, the door knob to the bathroom jiggling a short time later. She heard Nick gasp, “Brian do you have a … girl… in here?” There was a playful tone in Nick’s voice, but Laura still hoped Brian would deny it. She really did not want to come face to face with the other four guys today.

“Nick, Brian we need to be leaving now.” A deep voice that Laura did not recognize yelled into the room.

She heard shuffling in the other room then a small knock on the bathroom door. “Laura,” Brian whispered through it. “I can’t be long, the guys are all downstairs, now would be the time for you to make your exit.”

Laura moved quickly to the door and opened it smiling broadly. “Thank you.” She said taking her shoes from him. She headed towards the door and moved into the hallway. She turned towards Brian. “Well,” She started before she could continue Brian pulled her close forcing butterflies to flutter in her stomach. He gently pressed his lips to hers.

“I will call you,” He said when they broke their kiss. He turned grabbing his bag quickly and started down the stairs.

“About time Brian,” She heard someone say as he got down there. She moved towards the stairs and looked down at the boys leaving amidst their security guards. She smiled unable to believe what occurred the night before, she didn’t even notice when Nick turned around casually and looked her direction.

*****

Laura walked back to the hotel she and Amber were staying at. She had no idea how Amber was going to react to being left all night while Laura was out chatting up a Backstreet Boy.

Laura cautiously opened the hotel room door and immediately saw Amber, showered and dressed sitting in a chair waiting for her arrival.

“Did you have fun?” Amber asked with a smug tone.

Laura blushed, “I can explain where I was,” She started.

“Laura, I know where you were.” Amber said as she stood and threw her clothing into her bag. “You were trying to get a peek at the boys before they left town.” She beamed to her friend.

Laura nodded. “Yes, that is exactly what I was doing.” She paused and looked towards her un-slept in bed. “Amber, I have got to tell you.” She sat on her bed and looked at her friend. “Last night, for some reason I was drawn back to the Pepsi Center. When I got there, Brian was waiting under the eaves.” She waited to see Amber’s reaction.

Amber looked at her calmly urging her to continue.

“We went to a coffee shop and talked for a bit and then well he asked me to, well he asked me if I wanted to be with him.” Laura had to pause to let her heart slow the beating in her chest. “Of course, we decided that we just couldn’t do that with our different lives, but when we were about to part for the evening he kissed me.”

Laura’s face turned a bright crimson and she hid her face from Amber hoping she would not see.

“I feel so childish.” She stated. “We ended up back in his room, we talked all night long, and it was wonderful.” She finished.

“You were in his room and you only talked?” Amber asked in a teasing tone.

Laura nodded. “He said he’d call me, and it ended there, the others were hounding him to leave.”

Laura watched Amber turn her head, unsure what she was doing Laura decided she needed to pack her bags so they could head back up to college.

*****

Nick turned to Brian on the bus and stared his friend down. “So who’s the girl I saw holding the shoes at the top of the stairs?”