- Text Size +
Brian looked at Nick with a confused look on his face. “What do you mean, Nick?”

“Brian stop pretending.” He lowered his voice so the others couldn’t hear. “I saw her standing at the top of the stairs when we were leaving. She was holding the shoes I found in your room.”

“She was an employee of the hotel. I gave them to her to find their owner… I have no idea how they ended up in my room.” Brian hoped he wasn’t blushing; he needed Nick and the others to know nothing about his feelings for this girl.

“Brian, this “hotel employee” wasn’t wearing any shoes.”

Brian’s jaw dropped open and he saw the smug look on Nick’s face before he turned back around in his seat calling back. “When you want to talk, I’ll listen.”

Brian glanced around trying to spy where the other guys were. Not seeing them within earshot, he moved closer to Nick. “You have to promise you won’t tell the other guys. I am still not completely sure what is happening with her, but …” He didn’t know how to finish that statement just yet.

Nick looked seriously at Brian. “I swear.” He said before a chuckle burst out of him. “I’m sorry, I am serious, it’s just she’s a girl man. We’ve all met a girl in a town before and had a ‘fling’ with them; it’s no big deal that you finally joined the ranks.” Nick punched Brian’s shoulder playfully.

“It’s not like that Nick.” He didn’t expect his young friend to understand completely but he felt that maybe if he told someone else then he would figure out what to do exactly.

“When we were in Colorado for our first tour, I felt drawn to this girl in the crowd. I managed to arrange a meeting with her and I got her address and wrote her a few times. A few months passed and I felt I wanted to get to know her better,” Brian omitted the sick feeling he got unless he contacted her. “So I bought us a pair of cell phones to call each other. I’ve been talking to her for the past year or so.”

“So you’ve made friends with a fan? Is she sane?”

Brian glared at Nick, “She’s normal, a big fan, but normal. Last night we were drawn to meet each other and we talked all night. It was her that was in the bathroom this morning.”

“So did you do her so you can get her out of your mind?”

Brian punched Nick’s arm. “Stop! It’s not like that; we talked and kissed a couple times, nothing more.”

“Well what are you going to do now? It’s not like you live in the same state as her, and you sort of travel frequently.” Nick pointed out the exact thing Brian was trying to figure a way around.

“We are still working on things.”

“She can’t be who you want to be with Brian, she’s a fan, in Colorado. Shit, I think you are losing it.” Nick ended the conversation by putting his headphones over his ears and cranking up his music.

Brian moved back to his seat and turned to watch the road from outside the window.

*****

Laura stared at the whiteboard and the equations upon it, unable to focus on the question her professor asked the entire class. A wave of relief washed over her when the professor called on someone other then herself to finally answer.

Lately, Laura was unable to concentrate, ever since she got back from her one night with Brian. She just could not understand why she could not concentrate; it was only one night of talking nothing more then they were already doing occasionally on the phone, only in person. Brian had actually called quite a few times since that morning he said he would, each conversation lasting at least 2 hours. Laura knew that he had to be tired, but he insisted on talking with her when he could.

Laura took her phone out of her backpack and flipped it open, no missed calls; he hadn’t tried to call yet today. Laura noticed her leg was starting to shake again; it was something else she noticed herself doing after her night with Brian. She could not sit still very long; if her leg wasn’t bouncing she was tapping a pencil on the table much to the chagrin of her table mates.

Glancing at her watch, she sighed in relief when the class was dismissed.

“Laura, can I have a word with you?” Her professor stopped her on her way out.

She held in a sigh of frustration and turned to face the man who spoke to her.

“I’ve noticed you have lost focus lately.” He started. “Your last test grade was low; I know you knew the stuff, what happened? Is there anything you’d like to talk about?”

Laura shook her head and kept her mouth closed. There was no way she wanted to talk about how she was falling in love with a man she wasn’t sure could be hers even if he wanted. “Nope.” She verbally answered. “Is that all?”

“I just want to warn you that you need to study and pay attention in class.” He looked concerned but Laura quickly turned and left before he could try to have any more conversations with her.

She stepped out of the classroom and as if by magic, her cell phone began to vibrate in her hand.

“Hello, Brian.” She said knowing it was him; he was the only one to use this number.

“Laura I have a small amount of time to talk to you before we need to finish getting ready for the show.”

“I am so glad you called Brian, I needed to hear your voice.” She held the phone tighter to her ear as if it would bring Brian closer to her.
“I needed to talk to you too. Laura I want you here, I can’t bear to be apart anymore.”

“Brian, we’ve been over this several times already.”

“How about just for this weekend? I could buy you a ticket and we could spend a day together, I have to perform one of the days, but we’d have one full day.” He sounded so hopeful on the phone, Laura couldn’t stand disappointing him yet again.

“Okay, let’s do it!” She said grinning broadly. “I would love to see you again.”

The tone in Brian’s voice lifted quickly on the phone. “I can’t believe it’s only been a couple weeks since we last saw each other, it feels like months.”

Laura nodded to herself. “I know.”

“So I’ll get you that ticket and ship it overnight to you. I can’t wait to see you.” There was a pause and Laura could hear another voice talking to Brian and his voice responding. “I gotta go babe, I’ll see you this weekend.”

Laura clicked her phone off and smiled as she walked back to her dorm room. She opened the door to her room and leaned against the door after closing it. “He called me babe.” She sighed and moved inside to pack a bag for the weekend.