- Text Size +
Brian and Laura said their good-byes early in the morning since Laura’s flight was an early one they decided to have an early night and sleep in separate rooms. The next morning Laura rose and felt a little queasy. She finished gathering all her stuff and then managed to climb in the car Brian set up for her. The closer to the airport she got, the worse she began to feel.

Head throbbing in pain, Laura got out of the car and approached the ticket counter. She managed to get checked in and made her way towards the security gates. She started to feel hot, then cold, then hot again. She did not want to be coming down with something, she needed to get home.

“Miss, are you sure you are alright to fly today?” One of the security officers asked her

“I have to get home.” She said and continued on her way.

By the time she arrived at the gate her face was pale and pasty, she could not see herself but the lady behind the ticket counter told her she needed to wait for further instruction before she would be allowed to board the plane.

Laura managed to lay herself down on the uncomfortable chairs and waited to find out about the plane.

“Ma’am.” a woman’s voice called to Laura. “I am afraid we can’t let you on the plane that way. We don’t want to get the other passengers sick. Is there a place we can call for you to stay?”

Laura nodded and managed to produce a pad of paper with the name and number of the hotel she just left only a couple hours ago.

“Is there anyone you can call to join you? I don’t think you should be here on your own, being this sick and all.”

Laura nodded and produced her phone, hitting her speed dial for Amber. “Amber,” she managed to croak out. “they won’t let me on the plane, I’m too sick, can you come here to be with me?”

“Of course Laura, I’ll be on the next flight.”

Laura closed the phone and held it close to her chest breathing deeply, causing her to cough for several minutes. She could feel the eyes of everyone around her staring her down, many moved further away, afraid to catch what she had.

Someone finally arrived to help her to the cab that the airport called for her. She climbed in and fell onto the seat lying down. The driver knew where to go, he kept the window between closed, afraid of her germs. They arrived soon and Laura was thankful, she wanted to make her way upstairs and crawl into bed, curl up and sleep.

She made her way to her room, after checking in, and did just that. She kicked off her shoes and lay down on the bed. She closed her eyes and was soon sleeping soundly.

*****

Brian woke up in his bed and reached out next to him, hoping to find Laura beside him. Of course she wasn’t since they decided to sleep separately so that they could make their departure times on time. Brian rolled over and looked at the clock next to the bed. Laura would be at the airport boarding her flight about now.

He got out of bed and threw on some clean clothes. He couldn’t wipe the grin off of his face despite the hollow empty feeling of his stomach.

“I just need to eat something.” He told himself and prepared to meet the guys for breakfast before they boarded their bus.

The second he stepped out of his room a headache started, still he thought nothing of it, he still thought he just needed to eat some breakfast and have a drink of water. By the time he found the others he felt horrible and could barely stand.

“I don’t think that incident before the show yesterday was nervous jitters.” Kevin said when he took one look at his cousin. His light brown hair was wet with sweat that dripped down his pale face.

“I don’t feel good.” Was all Brian managed to mutter before falling towards the ground, Howie quick into action was able to keep him from smashing onto the floor.

Howie, with the help of A.J. managed to get Brian up to his room. “I don’t think we should be leaving today.” He said to A.J. “I think we should call a doctor too, who knows if his heart is acting up again, better safe then sorry.” He moved towards the phone and dialed information. Getting the number of a doctor that would come to the hotel to check on Brian.

The guys all paced the room with their managers as they waited for the doctor to arrive. He stepped inside and saw all the concerned faces and smiled weakly at them before moving to Brian’s bedside. He took out his stethoscope and pressed it to Brian’s chest, his shirt having been removed by A.J. earlier.

“Well I can’t think anything is wrong with his heart, it sounds fine to me. Further tests would be needed but I think he just has a bad case of the flu from looking at him. Has he been in contact with anyone that has come down with the flu?” He looked at everyone, the managers were shaking their heads, the guys kept their eyes averted.

“Well,” Nick started, “He’s been talking to a girl and she flew out yesterday to visit.”

“Where is she?” the doctor asked.

“She left this morning.” Kevin interjected.

“Excuse me,” a voice from behind them spoke. “I couldn’t help but overhear, since the door is still open, but a girl that was staying here yesterday checked back in because she was not well enough to fly out today.” The woman told them the room she was in and the doctor made his way to her.

A couple minutes later he was back in the room with everyone else. “It appears they both have a bad case of the flu. I suggest that neither one travel until they are fully healed.” With that he left.

Everyone looked at each other and then back at Brian who slept soundly on his bed. They were going to have to cancel a concert or two.