- Text Size +
The ground looked small below her as Laura watched the ground outside her plane window. It did not take her long to hail another cab after Kevin left her alone in the lobby. She knew Brian would not be swayed so why stay. She needed to get back and try to focus on school as well. Her parents would not be happy if she failed out of college.

She glanced at her CD player and sighed, removing the Backstreet Boys CD that had made a home for itself there. She did not want to hear his voice; it would do her no good. She put in another CD and shoved her headphones over her ears hoping to drown out the voices, though quiet, around her.

She attempted to close her eyes to get some sleep, but it was no use, Brian’s face telling her that he would not listen to her, that she tricked him, it was all she saw. Quietly she crawled over the passenger next to her and made her way to the tiny bathroom. She managed to splash some water on her face.

“Get a grip Laura; you are probably still feeling the effects of Amber’s spell. None of it was real.” She told herself, tears streaming down her face. The evening they shared together, giving themselves to each other completely came back to her mind. It took all she had to hold the sobs inside, willing herself not to make a sound. She found her way back to her seat and buried her head in a shirt she managed to take from Brian.

After what seemed like the longest plane ride, Laura walked half asleep, got her luggage and managed to get to her car parked in long term parking. If asked, she would never be able to recall how she managed to drive her car all the way back to school. How she got inside or how she even unpacked. She could remember sitting on her bed, hugging her pillow staring at Amber’s bed.

Her friend betrayed her; the man she loved would never talk to her again. She didn’t know what she was going to do anymore. Forcing herself up, she made her way into the bathroom and began to fill the tub with water, maybe a nice soak would do some good.

She lay amidst the bubbles unable to keep the image of the way Brian looked at her from her mind. She thought she heard a noise outside her door, jumping slightly she heard an object splash in the water.

“Hello?” She called out. When no one answered she searched the bathwater for what fell in pulling out Amber’s razor. Holding the razor inches from her, Laura’s tears fell and for the first time in hours she let loose all her cries of sadness.

*****

Brian watched the road; he watched the cars drive by. Images blurred as the bus sped along. The hurt look on Laura’s face was all he could see when he closed his eyes, so he chose to stare out the window, hoping that other images would take over.

“Brian,” Howie’s calm voice sounded as Brian felt the older man sit down. “Kevin told me. I am willing to listen if you are willing to talk.” He said nothing more, just sat next to Brian quietly letting Brian watch the road. After an hour of silence Brian turned to Howie.
“So you know what happened, and how I could never forgive it. How it’s against what I believe. I pray for Laura and Amber, but I cannot understand.”

Howie nodded. “I see.”

“Nick thinks I’m in the right, A.J. looked at me with a frown. Kevin has told me he thinks I should forgive them both. I pray for an answer, what is your opinion?” Brian asked watching as his friend mulled over the question.

“Well, I do remember seeing some different behavior out of you lately.” Howie started.

“See, it was … it was Amber.” Brian turned back towards the window and began to watch the road again.

“Amber? No, Brian I saw you smiling, I saw you happy. You were excited to see Laura, thrilled when she called you. When you two were together you were the most happy I’ve seen you in a long time. Now I don’t know what this ‘magic’ was that Amber preformed. But I doubt that whatever it was she did could make you feel the way you did about Laura. As far as I know the only person to have power over your emotions is yourself. You are a man of strong faith Brian, I doubt that anything evil could find it’s way into your heart and rule over you.” Howie put his hand on his friend’s shoulder and squeezed it slightly before standing and moving to another spot on the bus.