- Text Size +
The months passed and Laura sat in her room staring at the phone Brian gave her, willing it to ring. She could’ve called him, but she was sure he would not answer. Sighing she turned back to her computer screen and started typing her term paper. She was not sure how she made it through this semester at college; she lost the man she loved and her best friend. Now a loner, she stuck to her room, her only happy time being in her speech class where a guy in her small group was determined to make her smile every time he saw her.

She couldn’t take the silence anymore. She picked up the phone and dialed Brian’s number.

“Hello Laura.” Brian answered.

Laura almost too shocked to answer managed to mutter out a ‘hello’ as her response. “I didn’t think you would answer.”

“Well someone suggested it was time I forgave you, it’s been awhile.”

“So you talking to me is because someone else told you to, not because you want to?” She asked happy that someone else told him to talk to her, but disappointed that he did not come to the decision on his own.

There was nothing but silence on both ends for awhile before Brian spoke again. “So what did you call about?”

“I just wanted to talk, I miss you is all. I miss having someone to talk to. I lost both you and Amber at the same time.”

“I know, but you can understand my position can’t you?” Brian asked keeping the calm in his voice though he could hear Laura begin to cry.

“You wouldn’t listen to me Brian; you took one side of the story, the side from someone who overheard the truth none-the-less and then wouldn’t let me talk.”

“Laura, I know, I should’ve listened, but I was upset. I’ll listen now.”

“I had no idea what Amber was doing, I knew about the one spell, but I thought she was just joking around I never thought any of this would happen. Believe me.”

Brian was silent; he didn’t know how to respond. Their first meeting was because of Amber and Laura new about the spell then, but she couldn’t have known the direction it would take.

“Laura, can we talk about something else?”

“Only if you tell me you believe me. I can’t go on talking to you if you don’t believe me.” Laura choked the words out hoping that Brian would say that he did indeed believe her and that everything would be alright.

“I can’t believe you completely yet. But I would like to get to know you without the influence of Amber.” Brian spoke, but was unsure if he would ever know if any interaction between himself and Laura would be without Amber’s influence. He was talking to a girl he would never have met if Amber never preformed a magic spell on him.

“I guess I can take that for now.” Laura played with her mouse pad and started to talk to Brian about school. She had a lot to pour out; with no one to talk to for awhile she had a lot to say. They chatted for another hour or so and then said their good-byes. Laura felt better already.

****

Brian ended the phone call with Laura and sat looking at Howie. “Was I civil enough?”

Howie nodded. “You’ll thank me later. I believe you and Laura should at least be friends again.”

Brian rolled his eyes at his friend and turned away waiting for Howie to leave the room. He didn’t want to admit it to his friend, but he was glad Howie made him take Laura’s phone call. Hearing her voice made him feel better. He smiled to himself almost immediately dropping the frown again when he remembered their relationship starting out the same way again. Was Amber behind his mood again? How would he ever know again?

He dropped his phone on the table next to him and picked up his Bible, turning to God to be his guiding light. He needed advice from someone outside of his friends, outside his family. He decided that the next city they stopped in, he would seek out a church and talk to a pracher.