- Text Size +
Laura waited for the first few weeks with eager anticipation sure she would receive at least a small note if not a signed picture from Brian. When nothing came when school started she was disappointed but determined to make her senior year her best year. Months past and she celebrated her eighteenth birthday with all her close friends.

“Hey Laura,” Michelle called to her while they were out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. “What ever happened with that ‘fated’ meeting with Brian at the concert?” She turned to Christina who joined in her laugh at their friend’s expense.

Amber glared at the girls. “Believe what you want, I believe she did meet Brian.” She did not include that she believed she made Brian want to meet with Laura.

Their friends laughed about this for a few more minutes and then settled on a different topic of conversation, who they wanted to go to the senior prom with. With dessert came the traditional birthday song sung by the wait staff; and when Laura was sufficiently red-faced the group brought out their gifts.

Laura opened her gifts and thanked each of her friends in turn. When it came to Amber, she presented an envelope. Amber moved closer to Laura and whispered in her ear, “I hope you like it.”

Smiling at her friend, she opened the envelope to reveal a birthday card; she read the outside and opened it to read the punch line. Some sort of dust flew out of the card causing Laura to start sneezing uncontrollably. After a few minutes, several stares from tables around them and the waiter seeing if he could get water or something the sneezing stopped. “What was that?” Laura asked Amber.

Amber shrugged, “I guess I spritzed some perfume in there or something that you are allergic too?” She kept smiling and pointed out that there was something else in the card for Laura. Laura looked, and sure enough, there was a gift card to Victoria’s Secret.

“You might need that for future encounters.” Amber winked giving Laura an unnerving feeling. She was about to ask Amber what she meant when the others at the table chimed in.

“Oh yes, you can get something flirty to wear under your dress for prom.” Michelle mentioned.

“Or to wear to the library to impress that boy there you are always talking about.” Mike spoke for one of the few times that evening.

Laura blushed brightly and put the card in her purse. “Thanks Amber,” She muttered though she was not sure what Amber was thinking by giving her that gift.

The night ended and Laura parted with her friends turning to Amber, “Do you need a ride?” Amber nodded her head in response.

The girls got in the car, Laura’s Backstreet Boys tape started playing immediately and the girls started singing at the top of their lungs. In the middle of Darlin’, a song they desperately wished Laura's mom's car came with a CD player so they could skip, Amber turned towards Laura and asked, “What would you do if Brian wanted to see you again?”

“In that highly unlikely situation,” Laura paused and glanced at Amber who was nodding still waiting for a reply. “I doubt it will ever happen Amber, so why even waste time thinking about it?”

*****

Brian was lying on his bed staring at the piece of paper in his hand. He did not know why he thought of the girl with auburn hair, Laura, again on this day but he felt he needed a connection to her somehow. There was no good reason he did not write her, except that he was always tired after touring to try and put down in words what was going on and ask anything about her.

He rolled to the side of the bed and put the paper back inside the bible he always had with him and turned out the light intent on getting sleep before whoever decided to room with him came barging in the room. He pulled the covers up and started to drift off; before he knew it, he was sneezing.

Nick came waltzing in during Brian’s sneezing fit. “What’s going on? Is there something you are allergic to in here?”

Brian shook his head, still sneezing, he held up his finger implying he would answer in a minute. Eventually the sneezing stopped and a teary-eyed Brian looked at Nick. “I have no idea what happened,” He said between wipes with a tissue over his nose. “I just started sneezing, I didn’t smell anything and my nose didn’t tickle beforehand either.”

Brian rolled back over turning his head from the light Nick was using to get ready for bed, sleep came over him and his mind twirled around an image of the girl whose address was tucked away in his bible.