- Text Size +
Cheers rose from the crowd, the finally the day arrived and everyone in the crowd could not contain their excitement. Laura glanced to where Amber was sitting, they could not sit together on this day, and it was not up to them. They grinned broadly at each other as the announcer yelled, “I give you the Arvada West graduating class of 1998!” The cheers of the crowd got louder as the hats flew in the air, camera flashes going off in directions all around them.

The girls flew towards each other hugging in congratulations. “I never thought this day would come” Laura shouted at Amber.

“I’m so glad to be leaving this crap hold behind.” Amber nodded. “Off to bigger and better things.” The girls both applied and were accepted to the University of Northern Colorado and hoped that their freshman year would bring them excitement and surprises to come. Amber wanted to use this time to learn more about the dark arts she only began practicing on Laura and Brian. She knew she was on to something when shortly after Laura’s birthday a letter from Brian finally showed up.

The girls were not rooming together and that was fine with Amber, she did not want Laura around knowing that she was using her as guinea pig for her magic experiments.

“Oh this summer is going to be so much fun.” Laura said as their other friends showed up. Everyone hugged and made plans for that night to celebrate.

Amber leaned into Laura and whispered. “Your graduation present should arrive soon.”

*****

Brian was up for a party. He did not know why, but he wanted to celebrate. “C’mon Kev. won’t you come to the club with me?”

“Bri. it’s late and you know that we have to get up and rehearse tomorrow, early. Why the sudden desire to go out? You usually want an early night.”

Brian shrugged; he really did not have an answer for Kevin. “I’ll call A.J., I’m sure he’ll be up for a party.”

Brian picked up the phone and started dialing A.J. when the feeling passed. He set the phone back down before punching in the last number and turned to his cousin. “You know perhaps I will call it a night.”

Kevin stared at his cousin; something was definitely going on with Brian lately. There were days he acted not like himself then a sudden change and he was normal. Tonight was only one of several instances. Kevin shook his head, “What’s going on with you man?” He asked.

Brian looked up at Kevin, “What do you mean?”

“One minute you are ready to party, the next you are yourself and wanting to call it a night.”

Brian shrugged; he really had no answer for his cousin. His own actions frightened him most days. It was as if he were two people some days. He looked away form Kevin’s penetrating gaze and made his way into his room. The last time he acted this way the other guys barely noticed and he told no one of his haunting dreams of a girl he met briefly at a concert. He wrote her a letter last time and he seemed to be better for a while. Now it was starting again and it seemed to be worse. Brian sat down at his desk, pulling out a pad of paper and a pen from a nearby drawer thinking if he wrote her again he would be okay.

Just as he put the pen to the paper, his hands started to shake uncontrollably. He put the pen down and his hands stopped shaking. He shook them and went into the bathroom running them under hot water hoping it would calm whatever caused the shaking. He returned to his desk and picked up his pen, his hands started shaking again. Throwing the pen across the room, Brian stared at his hands now shaking on their own, and with no pen in their grasp.

He was scared of what was happening, was this a side effect of the medication he recently was put on? He grabbed the phone on the table nearby and started to dial the number, his hands stopped shaking immediately.

*****

Laura was on the phone with Amber when her mother came in and dropped a box on her bed. “Don’t stay on that phone all afternoon.” Her mother warned before leaving.

“Amber I just got a delivery.” Laura said somewhat shocked. “Is it your gift?”

Amber giggled, “Well sort of.”

Laura looked at the box; the return address was from out of state and only seemed slightly familiar. “Did you order something?”

“Oh just open it.” Amber prodded.

Laura held the phone between her shoulder and ear and opened the box, pulling out a cell phone and a note. “This is strange, it’s a phone.”

Amber grinned on the other line. Brian is a quick learner, she thought to herself.

Laura carefully opened the note and reading what was written she shrieked into the phone causing Amber to hold the phone at a distance. “What?” She asked when the screaming stopped.

“Brian sent me a phone. He says he bought two pre paid just for this, one for me with the number of his and vice versa. He said he would have given me the other number but he felt it was safer to have a new one just for me. That way if any number besides my phone rings him he won’t answer.” Laura laughed. “This can’t be real. Amber what kind of tricks are you playing? Am I going to call this number and get some weirdo that you arranged to play Brian?”

Amber laughed, “No I wouldn’t do that. Besides, what makes you think I sent you the phone? Perhaps Brian really did send it, you’ll just have to call and find out.” With that said, Amber hung up on her end leaving Laura in utter shock staring at the cell phone in her hand.