- Text Size +
Laura stared at the phone in her hand, should she call or should she just put it off as one of Amber’s practical jokes. She set the phone down when the flashing screen caught her attention. The name that read across the screen was ‘Brian’. Laura’s heart did a flop in her chest before the thought came to her that if it really was Brian how would he know that she had the phone. Amber was in on this.

Laura hit the answer button on the phone and immediately started talking. “Amber you snot, you said you had nothing to do with this.”

Nobody responded on the other end.

“Mature, Amber, real mature. The least you could do is answer me. No need to be all huffy because I called your bluff. You almost had me going by assigning your number to ring through as ‘Brian’.” Laura laughed waiting for her friend to join in the chuckle.

“Oh,” The voice on the other end started. “For a minute I thought maybe I did program the wrong number into my phone on this end. Am I speaking to Laura?”

“Oh you are good Amber,” Laura said off to the side the person on the phone hearing still.

“This is Brian Littrell, who’s Amber?” He asked.

“She’s the girl that put you up for this. Did she pay you to do this?” Laura laughed. “You are good too; you even have that slight Kentucky accent of his.”

“Is this Laura?” The man on the other end was persistent.

“Yes,” She said cautiously not sure what to expect next.

“We met at the concert; I got your address and didn’t mail you for half a year.”

“Amber could have fed you that.”

“You barely were able to get your name out to me you were so nervous.”

Laura sat staring at the poster on her wall. She told Amber that she was cool around Brian, like it was no big deal meeting the celebrity, that they had a brief conversation.

“Oh crap, Brian?” She said realizing this guy was the real deal.

“Yes,” he said with the same tone she used earlier.

“I think I’m gonna puke.” Laura replied. “I’m so sorry I was such a snot.”

Brian laughed.

“How did you know I would have the phone?” Laura asked still not sure that Amber wouldn’t call her and tease her for believing her fake Brian.

“I didn’t.” he laughed again. “I’ve been wanting to talk with you I’ve called a couple of times.” Laura would check her phone later and see that he was telling the truth.

“Why have you wanted to talk with me?” Laura asked confused. “I’m just a fan.”
“I don’t know Laura, I really don’t know.”

Brian and Laura talked on the phone for about an hour. He talked about rehearsals, the tour, planning another album and the other guys. Laura talked about her excitement of moving to college at the end of the summer.

When the call ended, Laura fell back on her bed and gazed at the poster of Brian on the ceiling. She thought she was the luckiest girl on earth to just happen upon this chance encounter with Brian that is turning out to at least be a friendship, if not possibly more. She smiled to herself at this thought.

*****

After Brian got off the phone with Laura, he felt like himself again. There was no feeling of uncertainty of what he would do next and best of all he could pick up a pen or pencil without his hands shaking.

He shook his head as he thought about the hold this girl had on him somehow, his eyes catching a glance at his bible laying nearby. “Is this the answer to my prayer?” Brian raised his head and asked towards the heavens.

He crawled into his bed resting his eyes; soon he was asleep oblivious to the thunderstorm happening outside his window.