- Text Size +
“That concert was great; too bad the girls behind us had to be such boobs.” Amber relayed when they got back into Laura’s car. Earlier the girls decided to get a hotel room downtown as opposed to driving all the way back to their dorm, Laura turned her car in that direction nodding to Amber’s comment.

“No kidding, we paid our money if we wanted to stand we were well within our rights.” Laura laughed her cheeks turning crimson as she suddenly remembered what happened before the concert. “I still can’t believe he kissed me and thanked me and called me a friend.” Laura sighed.

Amber smiled, “Did you doubt once he got to know you that you wouldn’t be friends?”

Laura shrugged. “I never thought I’d get to meet him, let alone get to know him.”

“Well tell me, you keep way too much to yourself. Is he everything you thought he’d be?”

Laura blushed crimson again and tried to keep her face away from Amber, which was difficult while keeping her eyes on the road.

“You can tell me.” Amber prodded as they turned into the hotel-parking garage.

“He’s a lot like what we read, devoted to God, sweet, caring and funny.” Laura sighed hoping that Amber would stop there.

“Yeah but we read those things.” Amber turned to face Laura, the car now safely parked in a spot she proceeded to grab Laura’s arm. “Tell me something more before we leave this car.”

Laura stared down at Amber’s hand holding her arm. “He’s told me a lot of his feelings about touring and his management and the other guys. What he’s told me is not for me to tell.”

Amber rolled her eyes. “I don’t want to know that stuff anyway, tell me something about how he talks to you, how he is with you.”

“He’s talked about wishing we were closer. He’s glad he bought the phones and even admitted to me,” Laura turned towards Amber and whispered. “He’s told me he thinks I’m an answer to his prayers. That’s all I’m telling you.”

Amber watched as Laura turned bright red then unlocked the doors. The girls got out of the car, got their bags and headed towards the doorway into the lounge. They made their way to the desk and checked in; quietly they headed towards their room on the fifth floor. They proceeded to get ready for bed, knowing that they would not sleep; they would stay up and chat about the concert.

*****

Brian looked around his hotel room and sighed. He wished he had more time with Laura to talk with her before the concert. He liked talking to her, and though he didn’t have time to call her often, he thought of her many times. He never confessed the budding feelings he was having towards Laura to the other guys. He could hear them now:

“Brian you barely know her,” Kevin would say.
“And she’s a fan.” The others would all say.

Brian shook his head trying to shake the doubt from his mind. They were probably right, he would continue talking on the phone with her but that was probably all it would ever be.

He moved into the bathroom to brush his teeth trying to keep thoughts of Laura from his mind. He leaned down to spit the toothpaste out and when he came back up, he glanced in the mirror, Laura looking back at him. He quickly turned around but she was not there. He looked back at the mirror and her face was there again staring at him, waiting for him.

He turned on the cold water and splashed his face several times, he dabbed his face off and looked again, and she was gone. With a sigh of relief, he moved towards the room and lay down on the bed. Thoughts of Laura must have made him think he was seeing her. He pulled his covers up and turned off the light ready to get some sleep before leaving in the morning.

“Brian,” He heard a voice whisper.

“Yes?” he asked, wondering if one of the guys came into the room though he won the toss to have the single. When no one responded, he shrugged it off believing he was just hearing things. Turning over he pulled the covers tighter, even with the heat running he was chilled from the Colorado air.

“Brian,” he heard the voice call out again this time he sat up to see who was in the room playing a prank on him.

“It’s not funny Nick. I want to sleep.” He turned on the light sitting up. He looked around seeing no one. He glanced across to mirror over the desk in the room and let out a gasp. Laura’s face was looking out at him through the mirror.

“Brian,” the mirror Laura spoke in a whisper.

He looked at his reflection next to hers and knew what he needed to do. He got out of bed threw his pants back, grabbed a shirt and his jacket and exited his hotel room. Soon he made his way out of the hotel and out into the chilly October night.

*****

Laura tossed and turned in her bed. The girls called it a night an hour before and now Amber slept peacefully while Laura could not get the image of Brian out of her head. When she closed her eyes, she saw his face looking back at her. She called out in her sleep, “Brian” She whispered.

Her eyes flew open and she glanced around the room. She looked over at Amber sleeping peacefully. She had to get some fresh air, she had to leave, and she knew where she wanted to go. Quietly she put clothes on and grabbed her shoes. She tiptoed through the room and cautiously opened the door. She breathed easy when she was in the hallway, Amber still snoozing peacefully on the other side of the door.

Amber heard the door click close and laughed quietly in her bed. She could not believe how power she had become in the last couple of years. Now that Laura’s love life was taken care of, she needed to focus on her own.