- Text Size +
Brian reached the doors to the concert venue and stood outside, the night continued to get chilly and he held his jacket tighter around his body, a light dusting of snow began to fall from the sky as he rushed to find some shelter. He didn’t understand how he made it back to the venue; it was as if something was guiding him here. He did not fight it, but stood freezing wondering what he was doing here exactly.

He waited for another twenty minutes and decided that he needed to get back to his room before people began to wonder where he was. He turned to leave when he saw another figure approaching. As the figure got closer, he saw that it was a female with flowing long hair and a slender body.

Finally, the figure reached him and he stood smiling at Laura. “So you are the reason I wanted to be here.” He smiled and reached out to hug her.

Laura fell into Brian’s hug and held him close, breathing in the smell of his shampoo and soap. “I don’t know why, but I felt compelled to come here.” She said smiling at him when they released their hold on each other.

“Me too.” He said taking Laura’s hands. “Your hands are cold, we should get somewhere warm.” He looked around his surroundings spying a coffee shop not too far away. “Let’s head over there.” He started moving in that direction holding Laura’s hand as they walked.

They entered the building and shook themselves off the few flakes that settled on their coats and found a table semi-close to the door. Laura smiled at the few Halloween decorations and ordered a hot chocolate when the server came around. The two sat in silence until their hot drinks arrived.

Laura held her mug in her hands warming them. “So how is your family?” Laura asked, Brian had told her a little bit about them in their phone conversations and she couldn’t think of a better way to break the silence between them.

“They’re good.” Brian muttered. He didn’t want to talk about his family so he quickly changed the subject. “How is school going? What are you majoring in again?”

Laura smiled and talked about the university and all her classes. “I am an elementary math major; I hope to teach one day.” She concluded.

“So you are studying the easy math?” Brian teased.

“Oh I’d like to see you try my classes, choir boy.” Laura teased quickly blushing and covering her mouth with her hand. She hoped she did not offend him, this was the first time they really talked face to face and she did not want it to be their last.

Brian laughed. “Okay, okay.” He said. He moved his hand to cover hers, his thumb rubbing the back of her hand gently. “Laura,” He spoke. “I don’t know how this happened, how I was drawn to you and why I feel this need to be around you, but I’m glad I’ve met you.” Now it was his turn to blush slightly.

“I don’t know how to put this, but I’ll try.” His bright blue eyes gazed directly into hers and he held them there as he spoke. “I would like to be something more.”

Laura gasped at Brian unable to believe what he just said. “Brian,” was all she was able to mutter.
“I know it is sort of cheesy to just straight as you to be my girlfriend, but would you do me the honor?” Brian looked embarrassed at his question.

Laura laughed causing Brian to look even more embarrassed. She stopped quickly and looked at him taking in his slightly curly hair, it looked so soft she just wanted to reach out and twirl her fingers in it. “Brian, I’m surprised.” She leaned closer to the table and motioned him to come forward then whispered. “I’m a fan.”

Brian shook his head. “I know and I don’t care, I just want to be with you.” He thought for a second. “Though I don’t know how,” He stopped and thought. “I don’t think it would be possible for you to come on to our next show would it?”

Laura thought about it for a few seconds before her reality shattered the illusion. “I have a test this week and I really can’t miss a class. I’m done for the semester on the fifteenth.” She said hopefully.

Brian nodded. “We have a break around Christmas too, but I usually go home to see my family and I’m sure you’ll want to see yours.” He sighed. “I see now why no one does long distance relationships.” He shrugged. “We will have to keep in tough over the phone and stay friends.” He sounded heartbroken unable to change their circumstances to be together.

Brian glanced at his watch. “I really need to get back, I’m sure someone has noticed I’m gone.” He looked up at Laura’s face, which looked as sad as he felt. He dangled a dream come true for her and many other fans and then yanked it away because it didn’t seem to work out right away. He helped her put her coat on and then pulled his on as well; sadly, they walked through the door.

They reached an intersection and Laura stopped looking at him. “Well I’m this way.” She leaned forward and hugged Brian tightly, for the last time she thought.

“I’m sorry.” Brian whispered in her ear. He let her go and watched her walk away, then turned and started to walk away as well. A thought struck him and he turned around, “Laura!” he shouted causing bystanders to turn and look. He started to job forward and caught up with her.

“To hell with this,” He started, “We’ll find a way.” With that said he pulled her close and pressed his lips to hers causing both their hearts to flutter with excitement.

*****

Amber looked into the water she spilled on the countertop, its surface forming the images of Brian and Laura locked in their kiss.

“About time.” She stated before muttering a few more words over the surface of the water before wiping the counter with a towel and heading back to bed.