- Text Size +
The darkness invaded the girls’ souls as they silently walked among the trees. The only sound heard within the girls’ trails were the cracking of branches and leaves. Alison pulled her sweater tighter against her body, shivering as the cold wind whipped about her small body. She could remember her bed at the small cottage. She just wanted to be home, away from this crazy lifestyle. She remembered her mother singing lullabies to her during these cold winters nights, as they lay snuggled against a blanket. Alison wanted that back.

“Ali, keep up,” she heard Kimberly grunt.

Alison squeaked a reply as she hurried her footsteps. She couldn’t see two inches in front of her face. Alison prepared to take another step, but a branch tangled beneath her feet. Alison screeched as she went flying forward into Rose. A strong pair of hands grabbed Alison tightly by the shoulders lifting her up. “S-Sorry, Rose!” Alison blurted.

There was a quick grunt as the pressure was released from her shoulders. Alison listened to the continuing footsteps ahead of her. She felt odd as she reached to grasp her shoulders. Something was terribly different about Rose. She was usually quite talkative beside the rest of the group, and never once remained silent. Rose had never been that strong, nor had her voice ever been that low…

Alison ran up beside Rose again. She hurried to keep her steps with the taller girl. She closed her eyes for a moment, readying herself. She took a deep breath, preparing herself. Soon, Alison’s dark eyes began to glow as she sent her essence into Rose’s soul. She searched for inner thoughts and the peaceful nature that Rose represented. However, sudden thoughts jumped Alison’s essence.

‘Foolish children, just wait till we get into the clearing. They will never suspect such a ingenious attack. To not even distinguish a military man from one of their own… Each girl will bring in ten thousand dollars, but that frozen one brought in two million. Cyrus took most of that money, though, but these girls will bring a nice chunk of change into my pocket. All I have to do is keep them alive till Washington, then my hands are clean. Just a few more miles, and I’m done…’

Alison quickly removed herself from the man’s mind. Her breath quickened as screamed out, causing the girls to jump with alarm. Her eyes grew bright as the man instantly froze against the time continuum. Alison could feel the other girls’ energies forming as their eyes grew bright, casting a glow upon the man’s still body. Alison shrieked out as she grabbed Jamelet’s coat. “Jamelet! That guy…he… It’s not Rose!”

“Oh my Lord,” Jamelet whispered as she heard the heavy trampling of branches. Kimberly peered out into the darkness, feeling dysfunctional energies cast upon her. Kimberly immediately grabbed Paige and dove to the ground. Jamelet heard the clicking of guns, and she immediately pulled Alison to the ground. They immediately began to crawl toward the bushes as the men gathered about their still breathing partner. His eyes glassy as they shined their lights upon him.

“What the Hell happened to Carlos?” someone growled.

Jamelet pulled Alison and Paige into her arms as they lay hidden beneath the bushes. Kimberly’s rage grew as her fingers tingled. She glared at Jamelet, her eyes casting out an eerie glow. “This cannot be happening. Girls, stay close and don’t make a sound. They’ll kill us,” Jamelet whispered softly to the girls.

“Why, our powers are stronger than their guns,” Kimberly challenged.

“You’re not as strong as you think, Kim. Just stay here!”

“They took Rose, and I’m going to get her back,” Kimberly hissed.

“No, just stay—”

“We can do it,” Paige promised, following Kimberly’s move. Jamelet found herself fearful as her protests were ignored. She felt Alison tremble within her arms. Jamelet pulled Alison close as the men lurked nearer to their bushes. She prayed for God to protect them as Paige’s voice screamed out to the forest. “COME AND GET US, SUCKERS!”

The men instantly turned and loaded their weapons. They aimed at the two girls identified through their flashlights. The girls grinned happily as the bullets rang out, but stopped in mid-air. The men looked terrified as they stared at the bullets hanging within the cold air. “What the fu—“

The man was silenced as Paige’s hands released a tremendous force of water. The men were flung backward by the powerful gushes of water. Kimberly slammed her hands to the ground, causing it to tremble as a large hole was opened beneath the group of ten. They all fell down into the hole as Kimberly and Paige ran forward. Paige pointed her huge blasts of water into the hole, filling it up quickly. Kimberly took a moment and then brushed her fingertips against the dirty ground, sealing the whole with the drowning men inside. Silence invaded their ears.

Jamelet pulled Alison out of the bushes while Paige retrieved two flashlights that had been dropped with the first blast of water. The girls were drained quickly from their use of their stronger forces. Jamelet sighed heavily as she drew Kimberly and Paige into her arms. “You two are the most foolish girls that I have ever seen! I don’t know whether to ground you or kiss you!”

“Ali stopped the bullets,” Kimberly flushed with relief as she tussled Alison’s dark locks. Before Alison could make a reply, they heard a muffled scream. Jamelet grabbed one of the flashlights in Paige’s hands and ran toward the scream. The girls followed quickly as Jamelet came upon a large black truck. She instantly noted the logo of CAPPA upon the side. She opened the door to find Rose tucked inside, bound and gagged.

“Wow, they really didn’t want to play,” Paige whispered as Jamelet climbed inside the truck. She tugged the gag away from Rose’s mouth. Instantly, Rose began to scream and shout at the world. Kimberly winced as she drew the two younger girls into her arms. Rose continued to shout until Jamelet freed her arms.

“Those stupid pricks! What did you do with them?” Rose cursed as she rubbed her raw wrists.

“We drowned them in a large hole,” Paige announced proudly.

“All ten?” Rose asked with hope.

“All ten,” Alison concluded.

“How’d you know that they were there?”

“Alison read the one’s mind, thinking it was you,” Jamelet answered, sitting back against the wall of the truck. Paige and Alison climbed into the front seats, turning all the equipment and location devices off. They quickly ripped the monitoring system and CB out and chucked them into the woods. Kimberly crawled into the back with Jamelet, closing her eyes as she rested on the floor. “Are you okay?” Jamelet asked Rose.

“I’m fine, but we’ve got more trouble than just running from these goons.”

“What trouble?”

“They took Summer to Washington, and they have Dr. Natalie there, too. But the worst is that they captured Ana, and have her in Washington. They’re planning on capturing the rest of us, although they didn’t say why. Whatever happened, Ana is in bad shape. Her powers have grown to enormous amounts, but they’re still controlling her. Somehow, I think the boys are there, too,” Rose told them with anger.

“Poor Ana,” Paige whispered sadly.

“Serves her right for ditching us,” Kimberly growled.

“Don’t say that!” Alison scorned.

“Why? Because you want to go rescue her? What, is she better than all of us Ali?” Kimberly snarled.

“She’s a part of our group!” Paige protested loudly.

“SHE DIED AS A PART OF THE GROUP THE SECOND SHE SAY GOODBYE!” Kimberly screeched.

Jamelet watched as Rose, Alison, Kimberly, and Paige began to bicker back and forth. Tension grew strong within Jamelet’s temples. She didn’t know what to do any longer. It was obvious that the company was growing too strong again. She winced, rubbing her temples as the girls screamed. Finally, Jamelet slammed her fist against the door, causing a loud burst of quietness. “All of you stop it! You’re tired. We can stay in this van for a few hours, so rest a while! I have some things to figure out while I have use of this equipment!”

*~*~*

Brian watched as Kevin, AJ, and Nick were brought into the room one by one. Vincent gave a small smile as he slipped out of Summer’s room for the final time to retrieve Howie. Brian felt relieved when he noted that Kevin, AJ, and Nick were still alive. He stared at Summer, debating if he should allow his anger to still flow through his soul. He was about to consult her, but AJ stepped toward her first. He pulled her up off of her bed, staring at her darkly. “You never called,” he told her with a feeling of betrayal.

“You didn’t call me either,” Summer countered, staring into his dark eyes.

“You lied to us, though,” Nick hastily answered, glaring at her. His body ached from the needles and fluid injected straight into his veins. His chest held a large bruise from the impact of the bullet. His hands were still charred from his fire attacks. Nick wanted to kill Summer for the betrayal. “You knew that we couldn’t get these damn powers out of us. Why did you let us think that we could?”

“It was Jamelet’s idea—”

“Well, Jamelet isn’t here, is she?” Brian hissed, not willing to believe Summer’s disgrace and lies.

“But you have to believe me!” Summer protested.

“Why was Ana away from the group? Did she figure out your lies, too? Did you lead her down the wrong path?” Kevin accused, crossing his large arms across his chest. His emerald eyes grew murky with displeasure.

“I don’t know why she left!”

“But you did know that we were hear. Is that why your conveniently stowed away in this little cell? So we all could get thrown in here to find you? What, do you have a gun in your pocket to kill us?” AJ asked, his voice coated with hurt. Summer bowed her head, letting her tears fall onto the floor. “Summer, we trusted you and believed you. Yet, you let us believe that we were free from danger? Why could you pull such an outrageous stunt on us and get us thrown back in this hell hole?”

“No!” Summer screamed as the door opened again. The sharp snap of the door sent thousands of alarms exploding into the air. Vincent cringed, knowing that men would already be on their way to the cell. Summer jumped with fright as Vincent slipped back into the room. He ran his hands through his shaggy brown locks. He looked more frightened than the others.

“Where’s Howie?” Nick asked the young man.

“Something happened,” Vincent explained with a rough tone.

“Is Howie dead?” AJ feared.

“No, not yet.” Vincent peered out the small window to check for any guards that were alerted. The sirens had started the second that information was received on the four girls. Vincent felt his temples throb from the loud noises. He glanced back at the four men and one woman. “It seems that the four girls that are being sent here have gotten away. On a video feed from one of the men showed a dark hole being filled with water. All the men surrounding the women were killed. Now, Cyrus has no guards in the New York area to get the women. It would take hours for them to reach New York with new men. So, Cyrus is having a fit, and alerted everyone to be on top alert with you guys here.”

“The girls escaped,” Summer sighed happily, glad that the girls were at least free.

“That has nothing to do with Howie,” Nick growled.

“Oh, yes, the other man! It seems that the man who came to take the Frozen girl also took the man. Cyrus said that the Frozen girl had some kind of appreciation for the man, and would behave better with the man’s life on the line. So, both of them have been transported to the collector’s private estate,” Vincent explained as he finally heard footsteps.

“Howie’s gone?” AJ asked in fear.

“With the Frozen girl.”

“Ana’s here?” Summer screeched. Instantly, the five captives began to yell at Vincent, searching for answers. Vincent could hear the steps growing closer, they were above them. Within ten minutes – guards would flood this room. Vincent screamed out, causing everyone to grow utterly quiet. His dark eyes flooded with apprehension.

“Guards are going to seal this hallway up in ten minutes. I managed to grab one of the dead guys’ uniforms. One of you guys get suited up and come with me. I can get you to the outside and you can at least find the other girls that this lady is talking about. Nevertheless, I can only get one out. So, you need to make a decision,” Vincent explained, holding out the uniform as the boys’ stared at it.

*~*~*

Ana walked nimbly by the old man as he led her down the paths of his estate. Mr. Steeles had a terrible fight with Cyrus just before Ana was shipped off with him. He now mumbled something about finding a different way to capture her friends. Ana just walked by his side, finally a broken spirit. Howie trailed behind them, shackled in chains and covered by a guard. He longed for Ana to glance back so he could offer her some kind of comfort, but she never did look back. Her mind was transfixed upon her surroundings.

The castle was of the early Renaissance era. It towered above the cliffs as the waves crashed heavily against the sides. Ana began to think of plunging to the depths of the cliffs below, wondering how long it would take. Before she could try, Ana was thrust into the house. She found herself overwhelmed by the exquisite nature. Lovely hues of cream, gold, and peaches splashed above the corridors. Several doors lay embedded within the ten corridors, centering about one large living room. She wondered what lay behind each corridor as Mr. Steeles gathered his servants into the large central living room.

“This is your new Mistress, Anastacia Grace. She is to be treated with respect when she roams about the quarters. No one is to address her without my permission. I will check upon her daily, and assign duties to each of you to perform. She is a kindred sprite, and to be regarded with care, or you will face her vengeance,” Mr. Steeles announced to each of his servants. “She will attend dinner this evening, so prepare a large banquet for our dining pleasures. Understood?”

The servants merely nodded and scurried off in different directions. Ana felt dismayed at the way they scattered. Mr. Steeles was feared within his own home. Ana was then brought down a narrow corridor and a large door was opened. She watched as Howie was brought forward and thrust at her feet. Her soft dress blew gently against Howie’s bloody cheek, smearing the blood upon the fabric. She looked down in sorrow at him.

“Say your goodbyes, Anastacia,” Mr. Steeles ordered.

“My goodbyes?” she asked in confusion.

“Anastacia,” Mr. Steeles growled. He nodded his head and Howie was thrown heavily into the dark room. She heard his body crack against the hard floor as he screamed out in agony. Immediately, Ana pulled herself away from Mr. Steeles’ side, preparing to help Howie. Before she could enter the musty room, she was yanked backward by a powerful force. Her scalp tingled as Mr. Steeles held her with a fist of her long flaxen curls. “I already told you to say your goodbyes. I gave you a chance and you disobeyed. Now he will pay the price.”

“I don’t know what you meant!” Ana screeched while the door leading to Howie’s room was slammed shut as a man entered. She heard a sharp slap of something, and another pitiful moan from Howie. Ana’s eyes were blinded by tears as she was dragged further into the next corridor. “Please! Don’t hurt him! I didn’t know what you meant! You bastard! He didn’t do a damn thing!”

Mr. Steeles shoved Ana into the next room. She toppled into a soft bed of white and lilac linens. Mr. Steeles pressed a button and a bulletproof and shatterproof glass door slid into place. Ana jumped up from the veiled bed and immediately rushed toward the door. She pounded on the glass as tears dripped down her cold cheeks. The soft winds gently blew against her dress, causing it to elevate and toss about her ankles. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ME?” she screamed at him.

“You are my most prized possession, Anastacia, and you soon will find out your fate,” he promised, placing a kiss upon the glass.

“Leave Howie alone, please?” she whispered with agony.

Mr. Steeles ignored her begging. “Here are the rules, Miss Anastacia. Your room is specially regulated for your specific power so you will not be able to escape. There are things to amuse yourself within the room, and I am assured that you will enjoy your stay. However, I will let you walk the compounds when you learn better manners. There are special guards set about this place and ordered to capture you in the instant you try to break through the compounds. There is also a temperature regulator fixed upon my body if you should try to kill me. When this happens, a gas will be set off in the entire house, killing everyone and everything. It will last be leaked into your room, and you will suffer watching everyone die around you that you love. The same regulator is set if I should die, and the same will happen. So, do not think that you can murder me with or without your powers.”

Ana merely nodded.

“I am having a very special dinner prepared for you tonight, Anastacia. If you behave until then, I will allow your friend, Howard, to join us, and then you can visit him in his cell afterwards. If you misbehave, he probably will die before the morning dawns. So, enjoy your new home, Ice Princess.”

Ana watched while Mr. Steeles vanished from her sight. She gazed back at her bright white room. Plastic snowflakes fluttered gently about the room with the cold temperatures. A fireplace was set near her bed with a white rug christening the fireplace. Her bed covered in a white veil of fabric, hiding her from the world. Rage swirled within her mind as the light purple and white mixed within her mind. Storm clouds whirled within the room as she screamed out. Then the hail and freezing rain poured.

**~To Be Continued...~**