- Text Size +
A/N: My co-author wrote Ana wrote this chapter.

Chapter 2: Brief Contact

Howie groaned softly as bright lights flooded into his vision. He blinked, trying to establish where he was located. He blinked again, trying to swallow. His mouth was dry. His vision slowly began to clear as he tried to move his arms. Howie grunted as his arms stayed still. He struggled for a few moments, feeling something cutting into his flesh. Howie looked downward, he was tied to a metal examining table. He laid his head back, fighting the urge to break into laughter, it seemed that CAPPA hadn’t changed things.

“D?” Nick’s voice squeaked out groggily. Howie lifted his head, peering over his chest. He felt relief course through his body. Nick, Brian, Kevin, and AJ remained in the same room with him. Each was tied to the same examining table. They faced one another in a circular pattern. Howie was relieved that they weren’t separated this time.

“I’m here, Nick,” Howie called out, his voice throaty from lack of water.

“Same,” Kevin muttered.

“Right,” Brian yelped as he struggled with the bindings.

“What happened to us?” Nick questioned, still lying flat on his back. He stared at the ceiling, his temples throbbing. He struggled to remember when they had left the bus. The last thing he remembered was being thrown into darkness. The bus had taken a sharp turn, and Brian had tripped. The sound of guns had invaded Nick’s ears, but darkness soon fell. Nick threw his head from side to side, moaning.

“We were shot at, Nick,” Kevin replied shortly, unable to see the younger boy.

“The same damn darts as before,” Howie snickered.

“This isn’t funny!” Brian growled, staring at the white ceiling.

“I know,” Howie answered, unable to contain his nervousness.

“Just, chill out,” Kevin answered, pulling at his hands. He wiggled his fingers, trying to loosen the ties, but it was useless. The ties were made of a heavy leather. Kevin muttered a small string of curses as he stared back at the ceiling. He listened to everyone breathing softly. Kevin’s mind zoned. He glanced at the ceiling again. “AJ?” he called out.

No one answered.

“Alex?” Kevin called again.

Nothing.

“Where’s AJ?” Kevin asked.

“Right here,” someone called out with a devilish laugh as a door slid upward. The boys groaned as their tables were quickly heightened, and then pointed vertically. They slid slightly as they were put upright, as if they were standing. Howie looked down to see himself strapped into the board heavily.

“AJ?” Howie called quickly.

Before the boys could make another comment, AJ was shoved into the room. He sputtered and coughed as he stumbled to the tiles, falling to his knees. He was soaking wet. He shivered from cold as he sat on his knees, his arms bracing his upper body. He coughed again, choking against the bile that wanted to erupt from his stomach. He heard his friends shout his name, but he said nothing.

“AJ!” Nick screamed out.

“SHUT UP!” a guard growled as he walked into the room, pointing a large rifle at Nick’s forehead. Nick immediately went quiet, intimidated by the muscular man. Four more guards entered, each aiming at another boy. AJ’s guard pointed the gun directly at the back of his neck. AJ continued to cough, unable to tell his friends the horrors he had just seen.

“What did you do to him?” Kevin growled, watching AJ with worry.

“Nothing deadly,” Kevin’s guard chuckled, “But I’d watch your mouth, you might be next.”

“Not if I kill you first,” Kevin threatened.

“How? Tied up like a frightened animal? I think not, sir,” another guard replied, his voice coated in a thick German accent.

“Boys, boys, boys, let’s not be so violent,” another voice called out. The boys turned their attention to the doorway as a shadow appeared. Each strained their vision as an older man walked into the room. He was dressed in a black silk shirt with a white tie. His slacks were white, and pressed neatly. Glasses sat upon the bride of his nose. His black hair was swiped back comfortably as wisps of gray coloring painted across his temples. He clasped his hands in front of him, walking regally. He examined each boy as he walked in a circle. “It seems you’ve grown fine.”

“What are you talking about?” Brian asked.

“Who are you?” Howie quickly followed.

“My, my, my, we are filled with many questions, aren’t we?” the man asked, standing in the middle of the circle. He stood inches from AJ, who still coughed and gagged. He tapped his foot softly against the marble flooring. “If you must know, my name is Cyrus, and I am the chief owner of CAPPA.”

“Dr. Sanchez owned CAPPA,” Nick argued.

“If you hadn’t noticed, young man, you killed him. He was my partner, but now I am the sole owner. You don’t think that just because you burned down one building means that we would give up our efforts, does it?” Cyrus laughed. His chuckle bounced against the walls, vibrating against the boys’ heads. “Please, you do amuse me, but I am here for a better business.”

“What would that be?” Brian asked.

“Your powers.”

“Our powers?” AJ snorted, his voice thin and crisp. He pushed his weak body up from the floor, glaring at Cyrus. He stood up, his knees shaking slightly. He pointed an accusing finger at Cyrus, as if he was daring the man to step forward. “You crazy old bat! We have no powers! Sanchez’s daughter cured us months ago! You moron! Why don’t you go after them?! The girls still have their powers! To Hell with you and the powers! Stupid, Bastard, we have none!” AJ roared, his voice cracking at moments.

Cyrus nodded toward a guard. AJ winced as the butt of the man’s rifle was sent into the back of his skull. He fell forward, his eyes rolling upward into his head. His body lay against the floor, lifeless. The boys called out in shock. Cyrus ignored the boys as the guards took AJ and strapped him to the final board.

“I apologize for the ruthlessness I needed to use to restrain your friend. I do not tolerate swearing of any demeanor. He was quite rude, and I do not accept that by any means. I am quite a nice person when I need to be,” Cyrus explained as he smoothed his black shirt.

“AJ was right, though. We don’t have our powers anymore,” Howie explained.

“Correction, Mr. McLean was wrong,” Cyrus answered, stepping forward to Howie. “You all have your powers. Ms. Jamelet Sanchez merely gave you a placebo. You all have retained your powers. Your minds have just fooled you into thinking the opposite. I assure you of that.”

“What did you do to him?” Nick whispered.

“The same thing that will happen to each of you over the next few hours. I placed Mr. McLean inside a large tank, and drowned him for five minutes with a certain set of chemicals. These chemicals will counter-react the chemicals within your body, dulling your powers for the next forty-eight hours. It’s quite a nasty procedure, but it is for my benefit,” Cyrus explained with a pearly smile. Nick gulped, turning away from the man. Cyrus smiled, holding his arms out as if he was embracing the boys. “Once you all have been cleansed, I will release you from the boards. You will be free to roam this room, but you will be sealed within. I find it barbaric to separate you. However, if you find yourself on my bad side, you will fear for your life.”

The boys remained silent as they gazed at AJ. He had been knocked out completely. They all winced with regret, unable to accept the words from Cyrus. Howie stared at the man, wondering if he really had retained his powers. It seemed odd. Before he could question the man, a phone rang. Cyrus clapped his hands with a wondrous smile upon his face. “The call I have been expecting! Hold one moment, boys. I will take it here.”

They watched as Cyrus rushed to the desk in the corner of the large room. He picked up the black phone and then pressed a button. Before anything could be explained, a tired voice boomed into the speakers. “Am I speaking with Cyrus? I have been put on hold far too long to be connected with another bubbling idiot!”

“No, no, of course Mr. Steeles, this is Cyrus.”

“About bloody time!”

“I apologize.”

“Of course, do you have what I want?” the voice demanded. Howie shivered at the sound of the man. His voice was ripened with age, but an ominous tone behind the voice made Howie weary. He strained to overhear the conversation. “I’ve been waiting months for my items, Cyrus. I am not a patient man!”

“Of course, Mr. Steeles. I understand completely. We have just captured what you wanted this afternoon. The five boys you requested are waiting here. I’m going through the process of numbing their powers for transport to your estate. You should have them within a few hours”“

“Pardon me, did you say boys?”

“Yes, Mr. Steeles.”

“You are mistaken, then, Cyrus.”

“Pardon?”

“I wanted the girls.”

“Girls?”

“Yes, these girls,” the voice called out. Howie heard the clicking and buzzing of a fax machine. He craned his neck as five sheets of paper were printed from the fax. Cyrus picked up the papers, fumbling through the pages. “Those are what I want! Not the inferior men of the project! Cyrus, you are wasting my time. It is crucial that I have these women. The one with the Ice power is most important. Do you understand?”

“O-O-Of course, Mr. Steeles.”

“Find these women before I send my own men out on the job. I will waste no more time. If I do not have the Ice Woman within twenty-four hours, consider our deal terminated,” the man roared as he ended the phone call.

Cyrus turned on his heel, screaming out profanities. His anger rose as he kicked the side of the table. He turned over the fax, smashing it into pieces. He screamed out to God as he tore the phone from the cable. Howie winced as the anger grew further. Cyrus walked past the tables quickly, throwing the pages sent to him into the air. “SEARCH FOR THE WOMAN WIL THE ICE POWERS! HE WILL NOT WAIT A SECOND LONGER! GET THESE BOYS INTO THE FLUID AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! OR HEADS WILL BE ROLLING!”

Howie watched as Cyrus disappeared out the door. The guards quickly scurried after. Howie felt his heart race as a single page fluttered to his feet. He glanced down at the picture. His jaw fell upon; realizing whom Cyrus was talking about. Her pretty face stared back up at him, smiling into the camera as if she had a special secret. “Ana,” Howie whispered, staring at the photograph.

*~*~*

“ROSE! GET BACK HERE!” Alison cried out with fury as she ran after the older girl. Rose giggled with mischievously as she floated in the air. Her powers growing stronger by the moment as the wind carried her lightly against the blue sky. “ROSE! THAT’S NOT FAIR!”

“Sorry, Ali,” Rose called back with an impish laughter.

“Tag isn’t as fun when she does that,” Kimberly huffed, staring up at the sky.

“Nor is it any better when you make a huge crater and make the person IT fall into it!” Paige accused, her blue-gray eyes staring menacingly at Kimberly.

“ROSE! GET DOWN FROM THERE!” a voice hissed suddenly. Rose faltered with her powers, dropping from the sky like a rock. Rose grunted as she hit the ground on her behind. She sat there as the woman rushed down from the steps. She wagged her finger at Rose, who merely rolled her eyes at the woman. “I am not joking about this, Rose! You know what could happen if you get caught doing that nonsense!”

“Jamelet, calm down!” Alison cried, running toward the older woman. She wrapped her arms around Jamelet’s waist, hugging her tightly. “We’re in the middle of the suburbs, no one pays attention to us. We are in the back yard, and our fences are higher than anyone’s! I promise we weren’t getting into any trouble! We were just playing!”

“No one is hunting us anyway! Don’t you remember, CAPPA died!” Kimberly called out joyously.

“I know, but still””

“Jamelet, you worry about us too much!” Paige giggled.

Jamelet sighed, reaching down to hug Alison. She nodded briefly, ruffling Alison’s dark locks. She decided to let the matter go. The girls were right. CAPPA was dead. They were all free from the prison. Jamelet watched Alison beam a smile as she ran back to pounce upon Rose. The girls giggled as they immediately jumped into the playful fight. Jamelet had to smile as she stuck her hands into the back of jean pockets. The girls were definitely happier since the demise of CAPPA.

Jamelet still remembered that day. The days under siege at CAPPA had been a nightmare. She was so thankful to get away. Now, she lived with Rose, Alison, Kimberly, Paige, and Summer in the suburbs of New York. They had purchased a small cottage near one of the small cities. They kept the girls in school while Jamelet and Summer worked at the local pharmaceutical company. The girls practiced with their powers when they were at home, and Summer continued to study the girls’ genetic codes, but no one worried about the miracle cure. They were happy.

“Zoning again, my friend?” Summer called as she walked out onto the back porch. Jamelet nodded as she seated herself next to Summer on the swing. They went silent for a few moments, just watching the girls romping around on the grass. “What were you yelling about?”

“Rose was flying again.”

“She’s getting stronger.”

“And she’s getting more like…” Jamelet let her sentence drop.

“Ana?” Summer guessed.

“Yes,” Jamelet replied softly, letting her gaze fall to the planks of wood beneath them. Summer nodded with understanding. Ana had not joined them at the cottage when they parted ways with the boys. Ana had chosen to live on her own. She preferred the solitude. She had been quite different from the other girls. She was stronger than the other girls, and treated with the most care since the rarity of her disease. Jamelet was extremely hurt the day Ana decided to leave. Jamelet had formed a fond relationship with Ana during their days under siege. She felt betrayed when Ana disappeared. The heaviness of Ana’s choice still remained in the darkest places of Jamelet’s heart.

“I’m sure Ana had her reasons for leaving,” Summer replied softly, placing her hand on Jamelet’s shoulder.

“I’m sure of it, too. I just didn’t think she should leave.”

“You shouldn’t worry about her. You have the other girls to think about. You’ve been like a mother to them. Don’t let them see the sadness in your eyes, or they will think about the same issue. It hurt them, too, when Ana left. She deserted us all.”

“I know.”

Summer nodded, standing up. She gazed out at the girls, who all now laid on the grass, letting the sun beam down onto their skin. Each had developed a nice tan for the summer. They giggled as the poked each other in the ribs, and then began to whisper. Summer turned back to Jamelet. “Before I forget, this came for you,” Summer answered as she pressed an envelope into Jamelet’s palm.

“Thank you,” Jamelet whispered as Summer disappeared into the house. Jamelet narrowed her eyes at the envelope “ there was no return address. She turned it over and carefully tore the envelope. She pulled out a small letter and immediately unfolded it. She scanned the bottom, her heart pounding with anticipation. The letter was from Ana.

*~*~*

Ana smiled softly as she closed the letter up and placed it aside on the small desk. She had spent hours carefully crafting the first letter to Jamelet. At first, she really didn’t know what to say. It had taken more hours to compose than normal. Jamelet was a special person. The second letter would be out tomorrow, and reach her shortly. Ana prayed that Jamelet wasn’t too angry with her. Everything would be explained in the letter. She hoped that Jamelet understood. At least she had contacted them, she owed them that much from her decision.

Ana had chosen to be alone. She craved solitude. Her personality was too different from the others. Her cynical nature always brought the house at unease. It was easier for Ana to escape. She now lived alone, and she let them know that. She was careful not to allow them to know her whereabouts, but she at least let them know she was okay. She did owe them that.

Stretching her aching muscles, Ana pulled herself away from the desk. She entered her small living room, immediately turning toward the CD player. She pressed play, the soft music of Backstreet entering her ears. She found that she enjoyed music more than television. It had been years since she heard voices of melody. Ana crouched down to her fireplace, and began to light a fire. She smiled as the flames licked at the logs almost instantly. She stretched her fingertips outward, almost touching the flames. A smile spread to her face. She finally felt warmth. So many years she wished for warmth, and now she had a fireplace. That satisfied her more than anything.

‘I wish someone could warm me up, maybe you can, Howie?’ Ana thought back to CAPPA with a laugh. The CAPPA experience was one that she would never forget. Not a day went by when she wouldn’t think of the boys who had suffered under the same doctors. Howie had been the most amusing to her and the one that entered most of her dreams. She thought that there might have been something between them if it weren’t for the circumstances, or his lifestyle. Ana rolled her eyes, settling back into her pillows on the floor. The boys hadn’t even kept contact with the girls when they went back on tour. What was the use of thinking of them? It wasn’t as if they would show up in her home.

She was alone now. Ana curled under the blankets, her breath billowing from her mouth into tiny clouds of cold mist. The same happened every day. Her powers were stronger than ever. She could kill a man in two minutes. It was a task that she had been pleased with, but choose to live in solitude so she never had to. The fire crackled at her feet as she laid back, daydreaming. One day she would be warm, until then, she let her powers grow stronger.
~**~

**~To Be Continued...~**