- Text Size +
Chapter 24 – Romantic Endeavors

Nick paced nervously as the footsteps grew closer to them. He watched the girls fearfully. Paige and Alison stood huddled in a corner, their arms encircling each other. Rose and Kimberly watched Nick, anticipating his every move. Brian had escaped, and they were left with the punishment. Nick felt his heart hammer in his chest, fearing that the girls might be hurt. They had only been thrown into the rooms for safe keeping when they arrived. It was the boys and Ana who received the punishments. Nick vowed that the girls would never be punished for his mistakes.

“Are they coming to get us?” Alison whispered, glancing fearfully at the man.

Nick faltered in trying to give a reassuring smile. He crouched down near Alison. She was the youngest, and needed more comforting than the rest. She was tinier than the average teenager. She was almost like a daughter to the boys. He ran his hands through her blonde locks. “I don’t know what they’re doing, Ali. I really don’t.”

“Do you think they’re coming to get us?” Paige voiced.

“I think that they’re pissed that Brian got out. Whenever someone escapes or does something wrong – another gets hurt. That’s how they operate here, and you guys should know that,” Nick answered, standing up to his full height. The two young girls nodded, and then went back to comforting each other.

“Nick?” Rose asked quietly.

“What?” he asked, listening to the footsteps stop for a moment.

“Should we fight?” Kimberly asked honestly.

“Fight?” he asked quizzically.

“Use our powers,” Rose elaborated.

“No,” Nick answered after a long pause. He knew better than that. The last time they used their powers, the powers reversed back on them, and the guards captured them. Then Ana was tortured beyond belief. He sighed heavily, running his hands through his spikes with worry. “I will tell you what you can do though.”

“What?” Kimberly questioned.

“Keep those two close,” he whispered, motioning to the two younger girls. His eyes turned a misty blue as he stared at the younger girls. They seemed oblivious to Nick’s speech. He paused, glancing back at the older girls. He gave a rueful smile. “Those two have the whole world ahead of them. They can do so much if given the chance. We’re older, sixteen and up, but they’re just starting their lives. Don’t let them think of this place as bitter. So, fight your anger to Hell and back to keep those two safe. Got it?”

“Of course,” Kimberly stuttered, walking toward the girls. He watched as Kimberly knelt down. Paige and Alison glanced at her with surprise. Kimberly offered a smile, and then brought both of them into her arms. The girls giggled softly as they hugged Kimberly back, staying in the comfort of the embrace.

“Are you scared?” Nick asked, gazing at Rose.

“Excuse me?” Rose gasped in shock.

“You heard me, are you scared?”

“No,” Rose growled.

Nick rolled his eyes. “You’re not the leader of this group just because Ana’s gone,” Nick chided in a soothing tone. He stood above her, staring down at her trembling form. “You can be scared, and you never had to assume the role that Ana had. You may be the next oldest, but that doesn’t matter. Fear is natural. So, let me ask you again, are you scared?”

“Terrified,” Rose admitted.

“Then come here till the steps close in,” Nick answered, drawing Rose into his arms. Rose pulled herself against him, embracing the moment. Her body trembled as he light ran his hand down her back in soothing circles. She closed her eyes as the steps were at the threshold of the door. She prayed for God’s salvation as the door slammed open. Immediately, ten guards entered the room – their machine guns aimed at the hearts of the prisoners.

“Pull apart,” one man barked.

Nick obliged, pulling away from Rose. He stared at the men as they pushed Alison, Paige, and Kimberly next to himself and Rose. They grunted some orders to one another. Nick pulled his shoulders back, standing tall. He refused to be intimidated by these men. He waited for his sentencing, fearing the idea that a bullet might plunge into his chest cavity.

“You’re free to go,” the leader finally announced.

Rose’s jaw dropped. “Excuse me?” she whispered.

“Cyrus is dead. Steeles is dead. The whole corporation has fallen. We don’t have a damn clue what to do with you. Cyrus said in the event of his death, everything must be hidden. So, you are free,” he announced, pointing his gun toward the door.

“You’re bluffing,” Alison exclaimed.

“No, Cyrus’s body is lying in the morgue. I don’t bluff, child,” the leader growled with disapproval.

“But—”

“NICK? ALISON? PAIGE? ROSE? KIMBERLY?” Summer’s voice called out. Alison and Paige shrieked with delight. They tore out of the room, speeding into Summer’s awaiting arms. Summer pulled the girls close, kissing their foreheads repeatedly. “Thank God you two are okay! You don’t understand how much I worried about you. You’re not hurt are you? You’re okay?”

“Fine, we’re fine,” Alison giggled, hugging Summer again.

“Nick?” AJ called as the boy emerged with Kimberly and Rose. AJ took a heavy sigh of relief, advancing toward the younger man. AJ clasped his arms about Nick in a manly fashion. Nick felt tears prick at his eyes as he hugged AJ just as fiercely. “Did you hear anything about Brian?” AJ whispered.

“No…all I know is that he escaped,” Nick encountered.

“Damnit,” AJ hissed.

“He’s probably with Kevin,” Nick suggested.

“I hope you’re right.”

“Dr. Natalie?” Rose and Kimberly asked in surprise.

“The one and only,” Natalie chuckled as the girls ran to hug her. She thanked the Lord that she had met up Rose and Kimberly instead of with Ana. The oldest child would have killed her most definitely, but Rose and Kimberly loved her. Natalie kissed the girls’ cheeks. “Are you two okay?”

“We’re fine,” Kimberly replied.

“We’re very happy for your loving uniting, but get the Hell out,” the leader barked.

“What?” Summer asked with a frown as AJ reached out to grasp her hand.

“You have ten minutes to get out of this building before we release the bullets in our weapons,” the man threatened. “We’re tired of this shit.”

Everyone looked at one another. They shook their heads in dismay, but held grins on their faces. They shrieked with delight and ran for the nearest exit. The next stop for them would be to find Kevin, Brian, Howie and Ana. Everything seemed right again. They thanked the Lord that they were saved, and thought nothing more about it.

*~*~*

Jamelet and Howie peeked out of the corner of the broken window for a moment before they ducked under some furniture for protection again. Ana and Kevin had crept out the back way of the house, prepared to attack the men. The other two remained in the house, having no idea as to what the others were planning. They just prayed that the bullets would stop firing. The sunlight filtered through the bullet holes of the worn cabin. The clicks of bullets rang against Jamelet’s ears.

“Let them be okay, Lord,” she prayed as she covered her ears. Her stomach churned violently as she felt Howie’s arms wrapped around her for protection. She winced as the bullets rushed around the building. Her eyes fluttered as a cold sweat broke out against her paling skin. She felt sicker than before.

“Are you okay?” Howie whispered fearfully.

“I’m fine,” she lied, pressing her face against the curve of his chest. She smiled ruefully for a moment, realizing the jealousy that might rage from Ana. If the younger woman had any idea as to what was happening inside the cabin, she might break out into a fitful rage. Ana was overzealously protective of Howie, even if she denied it. Jamelet had to laugh softly at the idea that she was wrapped in Howie’s arms while Ana fought the monsters outside.

“What’s so funny?” Howie asked, listening to the rounds of bullets continue to fire.

“Ana would kill me if she realized your arms were around me like this,” Jamelet admitted honestly as she wiped the beads of sweat with her trembling hands.

“Would she?” Howie asked, slightly impressed by Ana’s jealousy.

“She’s frightfully protective of you, no matter what you think,” Jamelet admitted.

“Then who’s arms would you rather be in, Doctor?” Howie asked, trying to ignore the scene around them.

“I could take Kevin for awhile,” Jamelet answered with a faint blush.

“I’ll make sure to mention that to him,” Howie replied with a wry laugh.

“What did you want to talk to Ana about?”

“Huh?”

“Are you really planning on proposing to her?”

“No!” Howie answered, blushing fiercely. “That was Ana’s thought.”

“More like Ana’s wishful thinking…”

“Excuse me?”

“You should continue this conversation with her, not me,” Jamelet answered as everything went atrociously silent. She stared at Howie in shock. Both of them immediately scrambled toward the window. Jamelet’s jaw dropped in surprise. Ana was crouched near the ground, her hands seeping with freezing water. The trees around them turned white with ice. The men’s screams were frozen in their mouths as an icy sheath surrounded them. Ana had frozen everything around her. Kevin now took to using his laser-vision to hack each man to pieces. The icy blood clumped about the frozen ground as Jamelet and Howie hurried out to them.

“Damn good job, kid,” Kevin approved as he continued to slice away at the men’s solid flesh.

“Thank you,” Ana approved with a Cheshire smile. She had killed every single man within five minutes. She was about to ask Kevin something, but a crackling sound caught her attention. She heard the distant beeping. She hurried toward the sound, finding a man’s radio lying against the snow-covered ground.

Crackling entered her ears as a report was given: Disarm yourselves immediately, 890. Cyrus has been killed. Steeles froze to death in his castle. The company has disbanded. Grab your supplies and come back to the factory for debriefing. The Prisoners of CAPPA have been released. I repeat, get your asses back here, we’re done!

“Kevin!” Ana shrieked in complete surprise as Jamelet and Howie burst out of the broken door. Her eyes were wide with happiness as she thrust the radio near Kevin’s eyes. He stared at the object in complete surprise. She turned back to Howie and Jamelet. “YOU GUYS! WE’RE FREE! I KILLED STEELES!”

“You’re kidding,” Jamelet whispered, unable to hide the smile on her face.

“We’re free?” Howie questioned.

“UTTERLY FREE!” Ana shrieked, running toward Howie. She embraced him in her arms. Howie was shocked as he felt her lips connect with his own. Sparks flew down his spinal cord at the sweetness of her lips. Howie felt her hands warm against his skin. She wasn’t cold anymore. Her lips were soft, sweet, and warm. Howie’s eyes fluttered as Ana released his lips from her own. Jamelet and Kevin stared at her with shock. “HONEY! I’M GOING HOME! I KILLED STEELES!” she shrieked, ignoring everyone’s looks of shock at her outrageous burst of romance.

“And I killed Cyrus,” another voice filtered in the woods.

Kevin shook his head, startled by the voice. The shadow appeared from the woods, stepping across the frozen mutilated bodies of the dead men. Kevin gave a whoop of joy, tackling the figure. “BRIAN!” he called out in happiness. The boys fell to the floor as Howie stood docile, his hand at his lips. Jamelet looked toward Ana, who was grinning wildly at the surprising events.

“We’re free,” Jamelet whispered as she and Ana joined Kevin in the welcoming hug for Brian and Howie stood there, unable to speak.