- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay! I finally finished chapter five & am curently working on chapter six! Lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. The creators of Law & Order own everything else. Thank-you.

Note: HAPPY 4TH BIRTHDAY BAYLEE THOMAS WYLEE LITTRELL!!!!!

Olivia happened to look up and over at Lenore then, as she sat there listening to the boys argue while she read something over.

“You didn’t tell us everything, did you?” She accused suddenly, causing Lenore to squirm. “What didn’t you tell us, Lenore?”

“Liv, she said yesterday she told us everything, so drop it,” Elliot cut in. “She wouldn’t lie about something like this. Trust me, I know her.”

“Lenore, answer my question,” Olivia pressed, ignoring Elliot, who was becoming rather angry with his co-workers. “What didn’t you tell us? You know something, that could be very important to this case.”

Lenore hung her head, looking down at her lap sheepishly while nervously playing with her mood ring. “I-I took a different way home,” she admitted just above a whisper.

“Lenore, you have to speak up so we can hear you,” Olivia encouraged.

“I took a different way home,” Lenore repeated, wincing slightly when she felt Elliot’s gaze land upon her.

“You what!?!?!” Elliot exclaimed angrily. “You’ve been told to come the same way home, every day! That was one rule we agreed upon in the very beginning!”

Lenore slid down further in Elliot’s desk chair. “The old way was boring,” she said softly. “I needed a change of scenery.”

“Why didn’t you tell us this yesterday?!?” Elliot yelled. “You could have saved everyone a lot of time and running around! You had everybody on a wild goose chase!”

Because I knew you’d get mad at me!” Lenore cried, finally daring to glance up at him.

“Well, it’s a little late for that, don’t you think?” Elliot snapped. “Now, what really went on yesterday, Lenore Jolene Parker!”

Lenore winced visibly upon hearing her full name. She hadn’t heard him use it since she was ten and had snuck out, only to end up spanked and grounded for a rather long period of time. And that had only been after the rough year they’d had, since she’d moved in with him not long after her ninth birthday. But she’d been hurting and testing the limits – a little too well at times. But what did he expect? She had just lost her family due to a horrible car accident.

“Like I said it happened,” Lenore answered finally. “Just – I didn’t say exactly where on the way home.”

“Well, you should have!” Elliot stated.

“Well, it’s not like you asked where it happened!” Lenore snapped. “You just assumed it had happened on my usual route! And you know what assuming does!”

“Don’t you get sassy with me, Young Lady!” Elliot growled. “You do and you’ll regret it for some time to come!”

“Hey, hey,” Munch quickly cut in. “Why don’t we all take a moment to calm down, then go over the facts once more? So this time, we’ll be looking in the right place”

Lenore gave him an extremely sheepish look when he raised his eyebrows at her, when saying the last sentence. “I’m sorry,” she squeaked.

Elliot walked off to try and calm his nerves. He hadn’t felt this angry with her in a long time, and he didn’t like it. She was making it look like he didn’t know a thing about her…But the question was – did he really?


Once everyone had calmed down some, they all resumed sitting or standing around Olivia and Elliot’s desks.

“Now, what really happened yesterday?” Elliot demanded. “And tell us everything this time, Lenore!”

Lenore tried not to cry, as they all stared at her – the only one extremely angry, being Elliot. Though, Captain Craigen had given her a brief lecture a few minutes ago.

“I-I was walking home….the other way…..and kinda….went into the alley when I heard shouting…” Lenore began. “Then…they killed him, and I made noise and got beat up. Pretty much like I said yesterday…”

“And that’s it?” Elliot questioned. “That’s the honest truth? Nothing else happened?”

“I-I’m not sure,” Lenore admitted.

“How can you not be sure!” Elliot snapped. “What are you not sure about!”

“I-I don’t wanna tell you…’till I know for sure.”

“Not like you can’t get yourself into anymore trouble than you’re already in,” Elliot stated, getting up angrily. “Liv, let’s go. We’ve a body to find.”

“I’ll go start canvassing the neighbourhood,” Munch said. “You coming Fin?”

“Yeah, in a minute,” Fin replied, eyeing Lenore. Once everyone had left the room, he decided to ask his question. “You’re sure that’s all there is to it? We’re not going to find something else out that may jeopardize this case?”

“I’m not sure about everything else,” Lenore told him. “I-I dreamt some stuff…but I dunno how much of it was real…”

“Fine. But if you become sure of anything, call me,” Fin ordered.

“O-Okay,” Lenore stuttered somewhat.

“And don’t worry. The Captain and everyone else, is here to protect you.”

Lenore nodded quietly, trying not to show just how upset she was that Elliot hadn’t stayed behind – even if he was extremely angry with her at the moment.

Fin nodded once, then quickly left to go help Munch canvass the area she said she’d been in the day before.

Lenore sat there quietly after everyone had left. She was starting to wish she’d told them which way she’d come home yesterday. Then maybe Elliot wouldn’t be so mad at her, and maybe he would’ve stayed to keep her company. Though, she knew the second wouldn’t happen, as he was persistent.

Captain Craigen stood silently in the doorway of his office as he watched Lenore groan and place her head down upon the desk. He knew she had to be feeling pretty bad – more so now than before. He’d seen the look in her eyes when her and Elliot had first come in that morning, and knew almost instantly she hadn’t wanted to be there – but had had really no choice in the matter.

Lenore just about jumped out of her skin when somebody placed their hand upon her shoulder.

“Relax, it’s just me,” Captain Craigen told her. “How’re you holding up?”

“Okay, I guess,” Lenore answered softly, not really wanting to admit anything.

“You really don’t want to be here, do you?” Captain Craigen stated knowingly. “I’ve a feeling you would’ve much preferred to stayed home with Elliot.”

Lenore looked up sheepishly, a faint blush coming to her cheeks. “Is it that obvious?”

Captain Craigen nodded. “Everyone knows you would’ve preferred to stay home – but everyone also knows how hard-headed Elliot can be.”

Lenore looked back down at her feet silently, then finally spoke after a moment’s silence. “Just once – I’d like to stay home and have him all to myself. No work, no school, no phone calls, nothing. Just us. I don’t even care if we just sit and watch movies all day on the couch. Just so long as I get my day, without any interruptions.”

“It sounds like you both need a vacation,” Captain Craigen commented.

“Care to suggest Disney World for me?” Lenore asked hopefully. “I’ve always wanted to go there. Though, I doubt Elliot will take me there now….”

“I’m sure once things cool down and these perps are caught, things will go back to normal,” Captain Craigen stated. “I’ll even insist he takes a vacation, so you can have him to yourself for a while.”

“Really? You’ll spare your best detective just for me?” Lenore said, her eyes shining some.

“He’s not my only detective, Lenore,” Captain Craigen reminded her. “I do have three others equally as good.”

Lenore shook her head. “I’m biased. Nobody’s as good as Elliot – even if he does work too much.”

Captain Craigen smiled some. “We’ll work on him…unless I really do need him, okay?”

“Thanks,” Lenore smiled softly. “I haven’t really had anybody to talk to in a while. That’s part of why I’m always glued to the computer.”

“Well, get out and enjoy the sunshine some more – once things settle down,” Captain Craigen insisted, heading back towards his office. “If you need me, you know where to find me.”

“Yeah, I know,” Lenore nodded. She bent down to search in her knapsack for her book then, and upon finding it, got comfortable in Elliot’s chair and began to read.