- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I got inspired. Enjoy :) I'll update when I can and as always I am appreciating reviews. They so motivate me lol.
"Just Another Day"

Chapter Nine: Stuck between two girls and a hard paparazzi

So I prepared. A lot. Not a lot for the average girl, but for me, the not average, below, it was a lot. But I was wanting to be noticed by him. So I went and dug out a pair of black pants. My favorite, cause I purposely put yellow splatters of paint, they look so funky. I grabbed a yellow and orange tie-dye shirt that fit snug on top and loose everywhere else. Something I thought flattering but never really bothered to wear. I love tie dye. I’m a weirdo, le sigh, I can’t help it. Anywho, I knew it wasn't anything near a date. I knew. I just, wished it was and I guess something Izzy said got into my head. Darn that girl. I went through my sneakers. Well to be more accurate, my vans collection. I love that brand. I have so many sneakers its crazy. I love my sneaks. And my feet haven't grown much since I hit a size 9½ -10 so I've been able to keep em. I dug out a pair that matched my shirt, and got changed. My hair. Blah. I swear I should cut it. I like it long, but I hate the effort, if that makes sense.

I was still alone in the house, so I turned on my computer and put my Itunes on random. I must admit, I am a downloading music addict. The illegal downloading kind. Shame on me. That’s why I don't attach faces to the music. I'll download songs but of course don't have any of the album art and I'll be without a clue. At the moment I was jamming to an old song of Nsync's. "If I'm Not The One", yeah I know, cheesy. I grew up during the pop explosion; some loves in music don't completely die.

I sang along to it as I got ready. The house still empty, I felt free to sing. "I wanna call you up cause in the end...I keep writing letters to my garbage caaan...Laaately, feels like I'm going craazy...and baaaaby come and lay down beside me...If I'm not the one you want, then who's he?"

I danced my way to the mirror in the bathroom and brushed my hair out. It's so long. I liked it that way, but wasn't a fan of the color. It’s so odd how it’s not one shade of blonde but like four all mixed which makes it dark. Down? No no. I brushed some of it up and used a hair tie. Hmm, part up, part down? Guess that'll do... Gah! Why am I so concerned about this? Okay, Cally, get a grip. Y'all hung out fine when ya babysat. This is no different, right? My eyes traveled to the medicine cabinet. No way in hell was I touching the makeup. Not even for this. Makeup is evil. EVIL!

I'm not crazy, really. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of makeup; to me it just gives off false promotion. Why not just be yourself? Because people aren't it holds up this impossible standard that people like me can't match. It feels so fake. Damn makeup. It's my enemy.

My cell phone rang and I ran to the radio first. That would be my guilty pleasure which no one really needs to know about. I turned it off and answered the phone.

"Yo-yo?"

I heard him laughed and I grinned. He needs to bottle that laugh. Spread it around. I swear it'd end all world freaking wars. Promise. I swear on all things blue and skittles. Really.

"You ready to go? I heard some kind of music playing from your house, you jammin?" He joked with a snicker. I blushed and ran to my window. Oh snap I left it open, which is why he heard it. I closed it, grabbed my watch and put it on. I made sure I left a note saying I was out. Not that I think it'd be noticed. My parents love me and I love them... but I wonder if they think I'm too old for comfort. I'm not. I just wish they'd see it. I grabbed my wallet, tucked it in my back pocket (I don’t like purses.) and ran out the door, hopping into Nick’s sleek onyx (yes onyx it was that rad) BMW.

Life has gotten beyond weird for me. Seriously.


**************


Cally was in my car, and she looked good. That much is true. Not me liking her. Just, stating what’s real aight? This would be a good day. I went to the grove a day or two before, and I figured this time would be better. I go there all the time. She had her own sense of style and I liked how she doesn’t follow trends. I drove down sunset and turned on the radio casually. Linkin Park. Ah. I saw her hand reach over my arm. What’s she doing? Then the music changed and…wait. Was that fucking Christina Aguilera?!

“I could feel it from the start…couldn’t stand to be apart…” She sang along, nothing near Christina’s skill of course. But it wasn’t bad. Not screechy bad anyway. I drove as she bopped in her seat, unaware I was watching her. She’s cute. In…a sisterly way. “Somethin’ bout you caught my eye, something’ moved me deep inside…”

But…I couldn’t take the music anymore. So I changed it back. Ha! Yes! In The End, much better song.

“Hey!” She cried out. Then changed the radio back. “And I’ve been hooked ever siiiiince…”

Oh it’s ooooon now. This means war. “In the end…it doesn’t even matter…”

“You got soul, you got class, you got style…” She smirked at me, keeping her hand on the radio. “You’re bad ass.”

“I try so hard…and got so faaar…” She is not winning this.

Cally laughed and went through stations and next I heard was Nirvana playing. Is she…is she head banging a bit? She had put it on Smells Like Teen Spirit. I looked at her in surprise. “You like Nirvana?”

She smiled simply and sat back. “Uh huh, I like a lot of music.”

Every time I think I’ve figured this girl out, she shows me something else. Go figure. I drove to The Grove, with Nirvana filling our ears. After that song she switched it an oldies station that played Journey. I loved Journey. Girl after my own heart in some ways. Her music taste is good, but not perfect. But hell, no one is. Especially not me. Sooner or later, she’ll see it.

And then she’ll run, just like everyone else.

Because I chase everyone away.

Because I’m what I’ve always been told I am.

Not worth what I get, and will ruin those in my path.

I just want to shield Calypso from what’s to come. To do that I shouldn’t be hanging out with her. But I never listen to reason.

Not even my own.


*****************


We got out of the car and I looked around. Now I’ve lived in LA a long enough time to know about The Grove. Been there? No. I couldn’t believe I had been teasing Nick in the car. It’s just, not me. But it felt natural. Maybe Izzy got into my head. She’s probably gossiping with Teddy now about what she knows and they’re planning it all out for me again. I’m so doomed. We walked a bit and I noticed this humungo statue. (I have my own language, it means big) It was this bronze statue with these beautiful angels, one boy, one girl, intertwined and flying up, on top of this limestone looking column. It had to be at least 16 feet tall. I loved it immediately. My artist eye just took in how much work that had to be. Nick noticed my gaze I think cause he spoke up on it as he ran a hand through those tousled golden locks of his. He looked good in those long camouflage shorts of his and a wife beater. I swear someone up there loves teasing me. Blah.

“Knew you’d dig that. I heard it was a tribute to what he said was “the city of endless dreams“ from a sculptor called De L'Esprie, and he dubbed it "The Spirit of Los Angeles,". Kind of awesome right?”

“Beyond it.” It was then I felt a pair of eyes on me. I felt like I was being watched, but when I looked around people were going about their day with no notice of us. Unlike Brian, Nick didn’t take the precautions of a hat and sunglasses and laying low. Guess Nick knew he wouldn’t be noticed here. “So this is a mall?”

“A huge ass outdoor one, so c’mon, relax a little and go with it Cally.” He grinned and dragged me along. I grinned as I let him pull me. This would be fun.

“You’re not afraid of being noticed here?” Had to ask. I watched him shrug and give me that very lovely grin of his.

“Haven’t been yet Cally Baby.”

I giggled and walked with him. This was nice. Relaxing even. I can forget about school. My family’s wishes. My crummy job. “Okay, what’s with the Cally Baby thingajiggy name?”

He let go of my hand, paused and turned around. “You new nickname.” You’d think it was THE most obvious thing in the world from the way he said it. “Now c’mon we’re riding the trolly.”

I laughed hard. He HAD to be kidding me. “We’re riding a whaty whaty?”

“A trolly! You’ll see.” He held out his hand to me once more. “Just…trust me.”

I smiled. That seemed to far easier done than said. Come on Cally. Quit talking to yourself. Relax and be silly, have fun, like you would with Teddy and Izzy or Sebastian. You’ve earned it. What could ruin a day like this?

Bad question.


*********

I laughed as she gave me the oddest fucking look as I pulled her over to the trolly. It was on the edge of the grove but I wanted to have her ride it. It was a must. It was this green retro looking trolly. I could never con the fellas into riding it. Well, Brian did. AJ said hell no. Kevin and Howie gave me looks and said I was crazy. Maybe I am. We got on and rode around. Cally’s hair tie fell off. Well. That’s what I’m gonna tell her. Shhhh. I’m hiding it in my back pocket.

She looked back at me and just laughed. “Give me back the hair tie.”

“Don’t know whatcha talking bout.”

“Uh uh.” Then I heard a song come on. NO not that damn song. Not the one pop song I did with my brother as a favor back when he liked me…I groaned as she smirked at me.

“Is that you singing? I‘ve heard this before but I just realized it sounds like you.”

I nodded shamefully. “Love To Love” it was called. Me, the hard ass rocker for one solitary fucking time, had sunk down to doing a pop song. People had said I sounded good with my bro, that our voices blended well. But it just WAS NOT me at all. I couldn’t believe this trolly was playing it.

“I like it. Pretty vocals, it’s simple, sweet, and soft which is what makes it pretty.”

“It’s not that great.” I shook my head. She had to be lying right?

“Awww it just shows your soft side.” Then she had to sing along. “Love to love the way that you love me…you're such a part of me I feel, I can see that it's real to me… And whatever it might be, as long as you love me, I'll still be in love, love to love the love. Baby, there's one thing you should know, you had me when you said hello…” Hey she pulled of my parts half decent, for a non singer anyway. Lucky for me she stopped and shrugged as the trolly came to a stop. I hopped off, pulling her behind.

“Thanks for not singin’ anymore. That song ain’t my brightest moment. Something I did to help my brother out. He‘s more inta singing that pop crap.”

“You’re a softy, and the song shows it is all. No denying it for you. So what’s next?”

******************

He gave me a wicked grin. “Let’s go shopping.”

I couldn’t believe the stores in this area. I couldn’t afford lint in any of these places, I knew just from the named. He had to be kidding. I gave him a look. The look. The what the clucky are you thinking?! Look. He chuckled, after seeing it.

“What?”

“Why are we here, I’m a poor college girl.” He took me to the front of the store where the jewelry was. I raised a brow at him. I’m quite skilled at it actually, didn’t ya know?

He just got the lady to grab this really funky looking silver charm bracelet, and hand it to him after he charged it on a random credit card. My eyes probably popped out after eying his wallet. I’ve never seen so many cards in my life.

“Something for your girlfriend?”

His eyes danced around with an impish glint. Usually meant something was up. I catch on fast. Then I about froze when he moved to put it around my wrist. I raised a brow. “What are you doing?”

“Saw this the other day and thought of ya.” He smirked and proceeded to put it on again. I pulled my arm away.

“No way in hell I can accept something like this.” Damn that’s hard to say. The bracelet was so awesome. It had retro charms of like a disco ball, roller skates, and little diamonds were on the charms. BUT, that thing was worth a ton, I knew it. How could I take advantage of him like that? I couldn’t.

“You gotta so you don’t hurt my feelings.” He pouted. Ooooh boy. This was hard.

“I can’t. It’s too much. I have my pride ya know.”

He gave me his own look. Hmm. “Yeah well it ain’t got nothin’ to do with pride. It’s just a friendship gift. And you’ll hurt the bracelet’s feelings too.”

I grinned a little. “Bracelets don’t have feelings.”

“Do toooo. And you’ll ruin its goal. Cause really all any bracelet wants is to look pretty. And it would look pretty hanging from your wrist. You don’t want to destroy its dream do ya?” He put it on my wrist. “There, see, now it’s happy. You flatter it. Now c’mon, I gotta show ya something else before we grub.” He hurried out the store before I had a chance to deny him again. I looked at the bracelet and back at him as I gave a sigh.

I followed him out. We went to these amazing fountains. They were pretty in such a simplistic way. Clear water surrounded by grass and trees as the birds chipped happily. Then he grabbed me and put me in what I guessed was a specific spot. Then he stood behind me with the biggest Cheshire grin on his face, and I was content as my gaze went from between him and the gift he gave me.

I knew then I was in trouble. Wanting something that couldn’t be. Definitely trouble.

**************

I grinned as we stood by the fountains. Then as I knew it would, the music began to play and the fountains spurted up in this crazy synchronized formation to the music, spraying over where Cally was. She shrieked and I laughed. It’s fun teasing people like that. Reactions are so priceless. She swatted me and I just snickered. “Like them?”

“Except for the getting wet part.”

“Cally Baby, now why do ya think no one was standing here?”

“Oh, if I am Cally Baby you are SO getting a nickname.”

“Bring it.” Couldn’t be worse than the “Messy Marvin” one Bri gave me.

“Squishy.”

“Squishy!?”

Calypso now snickered herself, as her dark blond hair that was a freaking rainbow of gold blew in the wind that was picking up. I had to hear why I got this one. Squishy? Was she serious?

The younger one turned around towards me. “Yes.” Then of all things she quoted “Finding Nemo.” (Know that movie from watching it with Baylee) “I shall call you my Squishy and you shall be my Squishy!” She laughed. “So there” Then stuck her tongue out me…

I’m a bad boyfriend. Only now do I think of Trace and how I should be faithful. At least I thought of it. Damn. I like both girls. Fuck. Cally is just a friend anyway. No trouble. Then she shivered in the wind.

“And now I’m cold cause of the water.” I wrapped my arms around her soft huggable body from behind. Nice to wrap them around a girl not a skeleton. What? I was keeping her warm as we shifted away from the spray spot and watched the water dance to the music. Knew she’d like it. And I stood there, just keeping her warm. Till flashes blinded my eyes. FUCK. You have to be fucking kidding me! Not here! Not her! She doesn’t deserve this! She’s better than this. Too shy for this shit! My head raced and then went simple due to all the damn stress. Fucking mind.

The fucking paparazzi are the devil.

This shit would get out unless I can see if Kevin can pull some strings.

We were so fucked.

I had to protect Calypso.


**********


Flashes came from everywhere, bushes, trees, light poles, what the he-double-hockey-sticks was this? Then random people came out with microphones and cameras and video cameras and they kept on going! What, what was all this? Was this a joke? What the clucky was going on? I looked at Nick who looked pissed. Furious. I’ve never ever seen him that mad. Not that I’ve known him long enough to in actuality, but its felt like it. Then the questioned started from the random people.

“Hey Nick? Is that your mistress?”

“Did you dump your old girlfriend?”

“Are you cheating on Tracy?”

“Hey cookie! What’s you name?”

“Do you know Nick has another woman?”

“Give us a kiss!”

Nick growled, grabbing my hand and pushing past them. “No to all. Leave us the hell alone. There’s a war in Iraq and it’d be over if you obsessed on that instead of me!” Then we raced out to his car. The people actually following us! I couldn’t believe it. It was all surreal. It had been such a nice day too. And my stomach growled like hell. Well, I could stand to lose the weight anyway. Desperately. Once in the BMW, we sped off. With the people close behind us. Leaning out and taking pictures as others drove. My Lordie! Nick sped off at a frightening speed, taking random roads and last minute turns to try and shake the crazy people off. Almost like one of those racing movies. My hands were gripping what I called the “oh shit” handle that’s on the roof of the car by the passenger window. With every turn my mind screamed we were going to crash. Then, finally, relief came as he slowed down, with no cars behind us. Oh. My. Goodness.

“What was that?” I asked, pretty sure I sounded how I felt, once Nick finally lost them in a crazy maze of turns and twists on the roads.

He took a deep breath. “The paparazzi. Don’t worry, Kevin will make sure nothing leaks out.” I wondered if he was right or telling me this so I wouldn’t panic. I already was. I hated photos. I look horrific in them. Oh my god. The possibilities they could do. My heart was ready to leap out of my body. It was already up in my throat. I didn’t tell him. Maybe all this with him is the worst idea I’ve had, that was…that was all just scary.

It was then I understood why he got sick of being famous.