- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the delay between chapters! At least I'm getting to where its once a month... sort of lol.

Right now I'm getting close to finals week so I can't promise another close update. BUT I do have a vacay from work coming up too so I might. For any who might read my other fic Divisions Of Reality, I'm almost done with another chapter. Very close.

Check out 00Carter too! Please! Its my latest project I'm running and its pretty cool. Check my profile for the link!

Reviews are spiffy... and muah!

*Rose*

PS- For anyone I didn't tell personally... Can anyone guess each of the songs used? lol.
“Just Another Day”

Chapter 14: You Get Me

After I calmed down from both having Nick in my house and fighting with Sebastian till he finally left (I did NOT kick him out, I told him to leave if he can’t handle my decisions. Big diffy there), after that I was alright. Mostly. For me anyway. I think. Maybe. Possibly. Gah! Okay, stopping now. Now I was talking to Brian. Brian, wise Brian who, I missed, and was very happy…overjoyed, and content to talk to and have him be all wise and advice guy on me.

“Cally. Good to hear from ya hun.”

“Ditto.”

“Why are you calling from the thing Nick calls a phone?”

“He let me borrow it.”

“Hun, have you seen him recently? Very recent? He’s all over the tabloids, no one’s heard from him, all we know is that he was in a car accident thanks to those devil loving tabloids-”

I don’t think he’s connected the fact I have Nick’s phone to me seeing him recently. “Brian…”

“We’re very worried and we know how he is-”

“Brian…”

“And I’m sure Kevin-he’s my cousin by the by- Kevin, he’s likely gonna blow his head quicker than a bunny can procreate” Aww, his country accent is starting to show. He’s from Kentucky, in case you didn’t know.

“Brian!”

“Yes Cally? Don’t gotta shout.”

Covering my mouth to keep the bubble of giggles escaping; my eye caught Nick peeking around my room a bit. Well…at least he hasn’t noticed my paintings yet, at least I don’t think he has yet. They’re in my closet…and two are on the walls on my room. Gah.

“Cally?”

“Sorry! Um, yeah I know where Nick is.”

“Where?” I heard a crash in the background and…lots and lots of yapping from the dog. Then another crash. And Baylee cheering and laughing. Aw. “Hun?”

“Oh, well…”

I paused, feeling that weird feeling again. Maybe this wasn’t the best idea last night if this is my reaction every time. Get over it, you did it, and defended it, you really wanna question it now? I’m odd, yeah I know. I just, I don’t know. It seems like all the assurance I had earlier in this ran off, and I only had it because Sebastian was reminding me of everyone else in my life. Except Iz, cause really she’s just…Iz. I did it though, so asking myself if I had done something sweet and smart or something stupid and naïve is pretty mute isn’t it?

My vocal chords returned when I finally made that click in my odd little head…well big head. Not ego wise but- oh never mind. “Nick…um…stayed at my place last night…he’s um…he’s here now.” Oh doesn’t that sound assured? Stupid! Ugh. Whatever. Lord. Next thing you know I’ll turn into one of those Mary Sue girls in those cheesy romance movies where the girl has NO personality and it doesn’t resemble real life at ALL because everything works out. Real life isn’t like that!

I know my life…lately anyway… isn’t exactly average but I ain’t exactly Pamela Anderson either. While my thoughts drove me absolutely insane, Brian responded, getting my lost attention again. Geeze, I’m starting to think like the Squishy. Hehe and he thinks I forgot that nickname. He’s cool, but he’s more random than I can dream of being. Anywho…

“Oh he’s there with you? I’m glad the Frackolas isn’t causing more chaos. Thanks for calling to let me know hun; it really sets us at ease.” Wonder why he sounds so calm now. My gaze drifted over to Nick. Something I don’t know about?

“I’ll talk to you later then?”

Ack, forgot about the ride!

“Actually there’s a second reason I called…see last night I had borrowed a car and now my friend took it back…and Nick’s car was towed…and we thought…um…well…”

“You want me to pick you two bumbles up?”

I chuckled, cause really, bumbles? “Bumbles…” I speak my mind on unimportant things. It’s a step.

“Short for bumble butts.”

“Uh huh.”


**************

Cally talking on the phone, I took the chance to take a look around. I know her, but it seems sometimes she was so guarded and I wanted to know more. I’m nosy…Nick Carter…master detective! That sounds better. Or a secret agent, like James Bond…? Nah, Bond was too stuffy; I’d be having more fun if I had his job. Cally chatted happily with my best friend and I started poking into her closet, if it was Trace, I’d know what was in there: expensive flashy clothes and tons of shoes. Typical of any girlfriend of mine. I’m a man; I want any girl on my arm to be taken care of. Not to be sexist but that’s what a man does, protects and cares for the one beside him. I opened one of the sliding doors; the closet could fit four times at least into mine. Not that it matters. Clothes, mostly jeans and t-shirts, and a bunch of sneakers. Then, tucked behind some jackets, several items caught my trained detective eyes…

Aight, so it ain’t detective eyes, but oh well. Don’t matter.

Hidden behind them were several large paintings. I began to examine them, and I couldn’t believe the skill in front of me. I like to draw, and I knew she liked to paint, but I hadn’t known how talented this girl was. The emotion in the strokes and shit…it was insane how freakin’ sweet these things were. Many of the paintings to my surprise, knowing Cally, had dark themes. So she did have a side she tried to hide.

Interesting. Why am I surprised? Don’t we all?

Each one though, had some light somewhere in the painting. The one I dug the most was one of a cave in, with a person huddled in the corner, by a fire that had long gone out, shivering. Behind it there was a ghostly figure that looked like it was trying to control the person or dive into him/her. But a small ray of light poked through that rocks that blocked what I guess was the entrance before the cave in in the painting. It was aimed directly at the ghost, and the ghost was around that light, starting to vaporize. Dark themes. I couldn’t believe they came from the girl I’ve been talking to. The one who said I shouldn’t be so hard on myself. That everything gets better.

“What are you doing?” I looked back, shit, didn’t know she hung up with Bri.

I stood, holding the painting I just told ya about. Turning towards her, my gaze met hers and she looked, I don’t know…shocked that I found them, or annoyed, I don’t think she’s used to anyone seeing these babies. Shit. Oops. She should! They’re hella awesome. Trust me on this.

“I knew you painted Cal, but these are…”

“Terrible, yeah I know.” She grabbed her wallet and purse, tucking them in her pockets, before putting her hands on the painting I held.

“Heh, no these are great…why don’t you try being an artist? “

“Told ya before it’d never work, psychology is a smarter route for me, safer.”

Remember awhile back where I told ya she sounded brainwashed? Deja-fucking-vu man. “Why’s that?”

She took the painting away, putting it back in the closet where no one would see it. I looked around and caught the two paintings on the wall. They were hella skilled but, not…deep like the ones I saw. That’s why she displayed those. The shallow side, that side that is selfish and thinks I’m the only one suffering, makes me wonder what a normal girl like Cally has for inspiration for darker paintings. I ain’t one to judge. Everyone thinks I got the perfect life, when my world is more twisted than most.

“Just because, anywho, Brian is gonna be by in a few.”

********

Sitting in the back of Brian’s jeep was a bit…surreal? Even though I’ve been in it before. Maybe it’s because Nick is sitting beside me. I had jumped into the back, figuring Nick would sit up front. Nope. Brian had just joked that he was our chauffeur. Nick kept changing the radio too. Him to his rock, I was in the mood for pop, and Brian was in the mood for country. So it was a battle of music wills.

…Ridin' in the drop top with the top down, Saw you switchin' lanes girl…

…What else could I write, I don't have the right, What else should I be…

…Wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to…

…But let me show you 'round, let me take you out, Bet you we could have some fun girl…

…I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too…

…I'll take all the blame, Aqua seafoam shame…

…And who would've thought that you could be the one 'cause I…I can't wait to fall in love with you, You can't wait to fall in love with me…


Smirking a bit I kept my hand on the button. Brian glanced back as he waited for the light to change. “Hun, I’m being nice and giving you two a ride and you want to torture me with that music? That’s cruel and unusual punishment.”

“Amen! Preach on holy man!” I heard Nick chime in beside me. Rolling my eyes at them I huffed a bit.

“I like his music. It’s better than country…”

“Country is real music, not that overproduced stuff he passes off as imitation music. Country music speaks from the soul y’all.” Brian said firmly, his accent getting stronger.

“Both suck.”

“Okay rock is awesome, but I’m not up for it right now, I need upbeat music. Not groaning about a hill-” I saw Brian and grinned a little. “Not groaning or depressing stuff.”

“Oh, Nick, we have a recording session later, don’t forget.” Brian prompted Nick calmly, reminding us both he’s a dad.

Nick turned to me with a half smirk from Brian acting fatherly like. “Thanks Rok, Cally, you can come watch us record if ya want, if you’re interested in that shit.”

“Actually that sounds pretty cool.”

I saw the oldest of us nudge my hand away and change the station again. This time, it was something the three of us could at least agree on for now. Well, correction, Nick pouted but I think he liked it and just didn’t want to admit it, because he stopped fighting for music control.

…Ooh I need your love babe, Guess you know it's true. Hope you need my love babe, Just like I need you. Hold me, love me, hold me, love me. Ain't got nothin' but love babe…

And really, how can anyone not love that song? Or the group? Seriously.

As we got to Nick’s place, which by the way I’ve never been to, I gave Brian a hug, getting out of the car. I also think that guilt over Sebastian was diving in. Maybe we shouldn’t have fought the way we did. Maybe this is why I don’t have a large group of friends; guess I’m good at chasing them away. So breaking that habit now.

“Sorry I kind of ignored any existence of yours.” I muttered softly, wishing I was invisible. I did do a bad thing by ignoring them cause of my own scary issues. Can you blame me? Their world is scary. So we stood, before Nick’s apartment. Alrightie then. My mind still keeps going back to the fact Nick saw my paintings too. The ones I hide. He had to be saying they were good because he was my friend. My own parents saw them, and said that they were alright but that the feel of the painting was far too depressing and that I would never get anywhere with painting cause I didn’t paint what people liked to see. Nice right? True, but couldn’t it be in a nicer way? Le sigh.

We head in and I kinda stood there, in his apartment, feeling rather awkward really. That was until, as I headed in behind him, I slipped and tripped and went flying towards the black, beaten looking leather couch anyway. Damn my clumsiness, I felt my cheeks get way too warm. Wow, embarrassing much right? Then, I couldn’t help it, I just started laughing wildly, going into a pure fit of insane giggles with Nick plopping down beside me with a few chuckles himself.

“What’s so funny?”

“I am, comfy couch too.”

“Thanks, it ain’t used to being a landing pad.”

I gave a smirk as my eyes skimmed the place over. Nothing of what I thought anyone famous would own. It was the bachelor’s pad of the average man. Nirvana posters, some for System of a Down, a painting that was actually pretty cool looking by an artist I shockingly did not know. Standard stuff, except I bet the painting cost a few. Awards for gold records and such were up as well proudly amongst candid photos of the band and what I assumed were other friends of his. Do you know what was missing? Family photos, I couldn’t spot a one.

I bet your family misses you when you’re touring though… I thought to myself.

“Heh, they miss the money.”

Ack, did I just say that out loud? Um, what do I say now since that response was kind of well a downer? Um…

“It’s aight Cally I’m used to it.”

“You don’t sound like it.” I replied, sitting up now, and facing him on the couch as I adjusted my glasses.

“Just frustrating. The fellas got one and I got money grubbers…”

Staying silent seemed smart, he needed to let this out I sensed, and I just happened to be the one there.

“They use me for every fucking thing. I know it, even when I give it to them cause I still want a damn family. I love music but I got forced into this shit from them too, all so they can be happy, and none of them even fucking talk to me. I’m used to it but it’s frustrating as hell. Then I have the media houndin‘ my ass every time I breathe and its suffocating.” He gave out what sounded like a mix of a sigh and a muffled growl and cry hybrid. If that made sense. Just the sound, not like actual crying or anything.

“Why not quit then?”

“I can’t quit. Music is what I know, I love it.”

“Sometimes what you love ain’t good for ya.”

“Heh, sometimes it is. If you did what you loved baby, you’d be happier.”

“If you stopped what you love you’d be happier.”

“It ain’t that simple.”

I gave a shrug. “Nothing is.” I saw a movie on the table and decided he needed distraction from it all. “You wanna watch Goonies?”

He gave a small smile and popped in as I rested against the couch, him pulling me to lean on him a bit. As a comforting friend gesture you know? He turned off the lights as we watched the greatness that is Goonies.


***************

After I dropped Cally off at her school, I drove around in my Cadillac thinking I should go to Tracy’s. I drove around for about an hour thinking on this. I had said I would stop by there. She’s likely pissed as hell. I suck as a boyfriend. Shit. I have to work on the album with the fellas tonight. Okay, shit. Maybe I can con her into coming with us this time. Quality time and Kevin doesn’t kill me for missing studio time. Brilliant. I pulled up to the hotel, parking near the back as I tried to quietly get in to see my girl. Nope. Not that lucky, guess it was a miracle I got to my place unnoticed. Flashes from cameras were surrounding me as I headed inside to see Tracy. How the hell did they know I’d be here?

“Nick! What do you have to say about your accident?!”

“Just glad everyone was aight man…”

“Are you still seeing Tracy or have you moved on?”

“Are you seeing other girls on the side like at The Grove?”

“What do you have to say about the rumors that you’re out of control?”

I rolled my eyes. Leeches I swear. I pushed the button for the elevator, stepping on fast as hell. “There’s a hella lot more important things to be talkin’ bout. Like the war or our president or somethin’ go focus on that.”

Whew. The elevator doors closed. I pretty much blocked their way from trying to get in. They took photos of it. Well that’ll be fun to see what fans think of those poses. Heh. Maybe I should surf LD later. My latest amusement. I still want to know how those stalkers knew I’d come here. The world still thought I had cheated on Trace. Heh, oh well. I strolled down the hall to what I knew was her and let myself in, I had a key obviously since I’m paying the tab and all. She was sitting on the bed, in this teeny little skirt and even smaller top that teased the hell out of me. Damn women. Her long copper fire hair was up. Damn. I like hair down. Do women know this and do this to annoy me? I annoy others pretty easy hehe. Ask Kevin. People ain’t supposed to get to me. Cally does, but that’s different, she‘s different, special. Whoa. How the hell did I go from thinking about Tracy to thinking about Calypso? Two very different women. Damn ADHD! Hmm, I’m hungry, I need some Dr. Pepper… and pizza… note to self: con the guys into getting it at the recording session.

I came up behind her, pulling her into my arms. I always love the feel of a female against me. Nothing better.

“Nicky…” SLAP! Ow. Okay, what the fuck!?

“That’s for worrying the hell out of me and then calling me for only two minutes so you can hang out with another girl!”

Well, I ain’t getting any tonight. “Babe, I told you, Cally is a friend. She found me after the accident last night and gave me a lift. That’s it. I called this morning cause I didn’t wanna wake ya last night.”

Think she’ll accept that shit? Its true, aight I didn’t say I stayed at Cally’s. I ain’t a moron. I wrapped my arms around her again, hoping that I don’t get slapped this time as my lips dive for the suppleness of her neck. I’m a neck man too. Hair, neck, boobies (or the juicy juicy mangos hehe…) hell I love all women parts! She let out a slight moan as I let my tongue do what it’s best at. “I’m here with you right baby…”

She gave a slight nod and I let out a grin as I saw some results from my tiny handiwork. My hands sliding down her slight curves- she didn’t have many ‘cause she’s pretty skinny- as she released a sigh. “You are here, you’re mine…” Trace murmured as her jade eyes gazed up at me. We could have gone further until I saw the time. Shiiit. Again.

“Um babe, not to be a tease…but I have to work…”

“Tell um you can’t make it.”

“Can’t, Kev will kill me.”

The bed shook slightly as she rose from it, a little annoyed. Can’t blame her, I’m annoyed I have to quit too. I shouldn’t have been driving around so long. “Babe, I have to go and see if we can get enough tracks to pick em for an album, but you wanna watch me work?” A lone finger traces down that silky smooth skin of hers. “You can help me unwind later…” I whispered in her ear, expecting her to say no. It ain’t her thing at all.

“Sure…I can watch my baby do his thing.”

And as I drove us to the recording studio, I figured I had everything worked out. My girlfriend ain’t mad at me. Bean was doing better; I called him during that hour drive since if I go down the media will have a field day. Cally ain’t hatin’ me, I didn’t see how much that got to me till she and I chilled together earlier. She listened to me after she mentioned family and I kind of broke down. Didn’t mean to, it’s just hell sometimes with the Carters. And she just listened, she got that I didn’t want a pep talk. She got it. Somethin’ hella rare. So we parked and headed inside the studio, Tracy and I. I was with my girlfriend as I should be. There were the fellas waiting for me. And… Cally…

Cally, you can come watch us record if ya want, if you’re interested in that shit.

Actually that sounds pretty cool.


I invited them both. Idiot! Shit! My girl stiffened up against me when she spotted Cally. Brian gave me a questioning look. Guess he told her where to go. AJ seemed amused, the bastard. Howie was on the phone, and Kevin, a miracle had him in the recording booth already. Cally seemed like she wanted to run out of here. She was on the couch, looking nervous. I had that urge to hug her and tell her she ain’t gotta be so shy. Not that I blame her, since with Tracy all up on me it’s obvious she’s my girl. That and the death glares my redhead was givin’. Trace recognized her, with that damn paparazzi video being everywhere.

“What’s she doing here?!” She hissed at me.

So… remember that shit I said about figuring it out? Nah, I’m an idiot.

A very dead idiot.