- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So maybe I decided to update this first. Oops oh well lol. Thanks for those who've reviewed so far, I love feedback, its so nifty and inspiring, and enjoy the chapter. :)
“Just Another Day”

Chapter Six: Damn

Over the next few days I was more or less trying to study for an exam. I wasn’t succeeding very well to be truly honest. How could I? I mean honestly. I had Nick on my mind far too much. He just, got me. When I showed my real side. He seemed to like it. I was scared of being myself too much though. And how I felt. The man did have a girlfriend. I am glad she doesn’t live in LA though. Ha. Ha. Ha. Okay, I needed to stop thinking about Nick. So I paint. When I painted I got distracted quickly. When my parents started complaining or ranting about something I pretty much tuned them out. I just kept thinking about Nick Carter and everything just kind of faded into the background. This is a first for me really. Besides I was probably just happy about getting a new guy friend who was so cool a person. I wasn’t sure exactly how to handle it though. Everything about it is so unusual. So I just kind of kept it from everyone. Why tell them? I just kept thinking that he wouldn’t see much in me eventually. You know, like how every other guy does.

Right then, with these thoughts, I was at work. My oh so lovely boring job. I hate my job. But a girl has to earn a car somehow. I was getting way too sick of that bike of mine. So I worked. At a fast food place. But at least this one paid a good two dollars above minimum wage. So that was a bit spiffy. I was in the drive thru, and supposed to be taking orders. Ha, like that was going to happen. My mind refused to concentrate. Not for lack of trying. I have been trying! I swear! Then after a LONG day of people yelling at me, demanding food, and someone throwing a soda at me, I rode home. Tired, exhausted. And wow, when I got there my parents were home. What a shocker. So I go inside, changed, and flopped on my bed. Now I had to study. Oh yeah, this was just a fun day wasn’t it?

My eyes were trying to focus on a chapter mainly on the studies of Nature Versus Nurture with specific experiments on identical twins when my cell rang. I was debating on ignoring it. I was tired, though beginning to wake up thanks to my trusted mountain dew. Regular kind, I needed to go shopping. Then I realized it was my “Cops” theme song ringtone, which as a joke I set as the one for Nick’s number. I grab my phone quickly, shoving the textbook aside. Hey, I‘ve been reading for a very long ten minutes… Time for a study break!

“Hello?”

“hallo!” I blink with a bit of surprise to hear Brian’s voice instead.

“Hey Bri, what’s up?”

I hear him chuckle on the other end. I smile, he’s so goofy at times. “At the moment Hun, I’ve kidnapped Nickolas’s phone and am in need of help.” Hmm, wonder why Brian was allowed to call Nick, Nickolas. Something to look into since I liked Nick’s full name better.

I laughed, so that’s why it was Nick’s ringtone. Still, I was partly glad it was Brian, since I haven’t told anyone, he was the one I talked to about it. It made my life easier and really he’s such an easy person to talk to. I’ve told him several times he’d be a better psychiatrist than I’d ever be. He’s always just laughed and said someone in the band has to be sane.

“Whatcha need?” I ask, twirling a stand of my dark blond hair around my finger. I need to get it trimmed badly. I have the bad habit of keeping it back in a ponytail and forgetting about it.

“Hehe…” Yes he actually said that, cute isn’t it? If he was my age I would probably have some sort of crush on him.

“Come on now Ducky Boy out with it..”

He laughs hard at that one. “Ducky Boy?”

See I felt so much more comfortable with Brian already than with Nick. More cause I wasn’t trying to get Brian’s attention. I knew all I wanted with him was friendship. I had no worries of what he thought of me. He’s easier to figure out than Nick as well. That much I’ve learned already in my short time knowing them. One of the things Nick had told me that night I was depressed, in an attempt to cheer me up, was that Brian was a bit afraid of ducks. Yep, guitarist Brian Littrell hates ducks and is afraid of them. Crazy right? I stored that information to be used…well now is a good time right?

I snicker. “I hear you’re afraid of ducks.”

“Oh-my-god! Your boy is a dead man.”

I couldn’t help but giggle. “it’s so funny….“

“I can’t help it, I don’t like them and they DO NOT like me!“

I giggle even more at the thought of ducks chasing poor Brian down. “It‘s such a great story.”

“I suppose he hasn’t told you about when he was stuck to a restroom stall door?”

I crack up, “What?”

“He wouldn’t stop driving us, especially Alex mad. So to get him back, he super glued the poor kid’s hands to the door. He was stuck for quite some time until we finally were able to free him.” He chuckles. “When Alex finally told us where Nick was at least.”

“Haha that’s awesome, I’ll have to bring that up to him.”

“Hahehe, see two can tell stories.“

“So anyways what’s the favor?”

“I was hoping you could help the dead blonde walking baby-sit tonight. Alex was supposed to but he’s sick and of course we don’t want him near Baylee till he’s better. My cousin is romancing his wife, Kristen, Howie is out with his girlfriend Lee, and there is Nick, but I feel more comfortable if someone else is with him. I remembered you saying you like kids ”

I grin big, the child was adorable. Just like his father. I’m betting he ends up a heartbreaker. I love little kids, so this sounded fun. Forget studying!

“Unless you have other things to do…”

“Nah, just studying, but I can do that while he sleeps too.”

“Hahehehe.”

I laugh at his infectious boyish giggle. “What?”

“He won’t let you even try to study.”

“He better. “ I reply as I stand not sure if he meant Nick or Baylee. Oh wow, I was gonna see the Nick I’ve been talking to, and thinking about, in person. Whoa. I look at the mirror holding the phone with my head against my shoulder as I was fixing my hair back into a semi-neat ponytail. See what I mean? I so needed to get it fixed, cut, styled, SOMETHING. Even my tomboy self would put up with it, I have been in sort of a frumpy slump even for me, as of late. Time to remedy that I think. “That or I’ll tie him up and then hype myself up on Mountain Dew and torture him after I get said studying done.”

“Hahehehehehe, I believe he has met his match then.”

“Alright let me write down your address and I’ll be down there soon. Twenty minutes okay?”

“Sounds fine Hun, thank you. Nick’s like a brother, still, I feel better if he’s not alone watching my son while me and Leighanne go out.”

I write down his address and say goodbye. Once I hung up I was going through my closet for something to wear. I was in my artist’s overalls, which were covered with paint. Wait, what was I doing? No need to get concerned about clothes. Sheesh. I grab another random pair of baggy jean overalls. I have a funky sense of style, most say. I put them on, hoping they’re not paint stained. They seem okay. Oh well if they’re not. I can’t freak about my clothes cause it won’t matter anyway. I put them on over one of my favorite Rolling Stones T-shirt and considered myself set after I threw on a pair of Vans. Little did I know that this was the beginning of an unknown setup. I was beyond my mind in apprehension. I was going to see the guy I’ve talked to several times especially since he was on the phone with me in after that math class. Meet him in person for the first time. I knew I’d be safe too since I have hung out with Brian. See I wasn’t so naïve. Go me.

“Mom, Dad, I’m going out, don’t wait up!” I yell and head to my bike. It was about eight o’clock at night, not too late anyway. I couldn’t afford a cab and Brian’s place wasn’t far. I had met up with Brian earlier this week along with his wife Leighanne, just to talk and whatnot. Still, I haven’t really talked with Nick in person yet. So a small jolt of excitement was running down my spine as I rode my bike down to Brian’s house to baby-sit. I have to act normal though, like I would around Bri or Sebastian or Teddy. Damn I wish I had more female skills. I rarely curse but damn. Just Damn.


*************


So here I am, here to watch a kid who I considered to be a nephew . In some ways, a new little brother. Shit, I was jealous of Bri. I want what he has. Loving Wife and kid, a family who actually cares. A home. Fuck why the hell can’t I have what others get so damn easy? But hell that night it was either watch Baylee or go get drunk at the clubs. Something I was trying to cut down on since the DUI. Trace was of course in Vegas. I‘m used to long distance relationships, but I suck at them. And that whole apartment suggestion freaked me the fuck out. Besides, I do like kids. I can relate to them pretty well. I’m always sending over story books I’ve made, songs I’ve written for the kid. I probably won’t ever get married or have a kid of my own. Gotta go and spoil someone’s kid I guess. I want a family of my own, like the fellas do. Damn I want that bad. Right then I was watching a blue clues tape with him in the living room, he’s leaning against me with us both on the couch as I moved some of those blond curls out of his face. I can’t help but laugh to myself. Him and Leighanne hated the idea of cutting that two-year-old’s hair. At the rate this was going the poor kid was gonna have a fro. I was sort of waiting, Brian didn’t want me sitting alone. He knows me too well, once Baylee was asleep I’d be left alone with my shitty thoughts as always. He didn’t say who he was sending, whoever available I guess. I was betting it would be AJ. Right now him and Candy are on the off part of their off on relationship thing, whatever the fuck they’re calling it right now. He’d come over and not mind it at all. He’s been a bit sick the last day or so, so I wasn’t sure.

I grin as I hear Baylee sing along to a part of the main song on the show. “We joce fibbured out boo’s coo’s!” roughly translated that would be “We just figured out Blue’s Clue’s” But that’s as close as I can describe it sounding when he sang it. I was about to sing with him when I heard the doorbell. I get up and peeked out a window. Making sure it wasn’t the damn paparazzi again. They haven’t left me the fuck alone since my bad shit with London. They pestered me before, but not the way they have this past year. Makes a guy wanna fucking scream. I see no one attempting to hide anywhere so I figure it’s safe. I open the door and I can’t help but look a bit startled when I see a pretty girl standing at the door. A fan? No. She wasn’t a fan. The girl was sane, didn’t have my name written all over her face, wasn’t screaming, and was sane. Did I say she was fucking sane?

It’s then my eyes really start to take her in, She was a tall girl with some curves, more than most guys would like I guess. I didn’t mind it, not skinny but not enormous either. Just, with extra padding is a way to say it. Fuck, I have more padding than she does, she’s a girl I can hug and not be poked to death by her ribs. Her eyes stand out the most to me at first. I never saw eyes so big and so damn blue in my life. They sparkled with an innocence I’m hella surprised to see. She looks about nineteen and usually by that point the innocence is stolen from you. Long before then usually. My gaze then stayed on her hair. It was so damn long, it’s some dark shade of blonde too. Not some dyed fake shit, like my ex. Fuck I wanted to just run my hands through it. Smell it. I know that sounds crazy but I have a fucking fetish for hair and then smelling it. Fans have even gotten pissed off when I did it to them without thinking. The smelling of the hair I mean.

She was gorgeous in a way most probably would pass her by. The type no one sees because they’re too busy looking for the easy girls. I’m guilty of that sometimes myself, but this one, this one I would have spotted in the middle of a mob. Or the stick thin ones who look like they’re starving (like my damn ex). Not necessarily in society’s fucking so called perfect view of how women should look. Something inside her just radiated and makes her best features shine. I usually see pretty a hell of a lot different from most. What most girls think are their “flaws” (I don’t think anyone has flaws anyway, God made them that way so how are they flawed? They’re just different.), I see it as adding up to making them beautiful. She was beautiful, sexy in her own way. Best way I can describe it. Fuck! Why was I doing this? I do have a damn girlfriend. Shit Nick, remember that. I can tell she feels nervous under my eyes cause she focuses her look on something behind me and speaks up.

“Hi Nick, I’m um, I’m Cally and Brian called…um saying you needed help babysitting? Um yeah…I had thought he would answer…” her eyes stare at the ground now. Wait THIS was Calypso? Damn. Just Damn. She looks like the free spirit I guessed her to be from talking with her. I noticed a few spots of paint on her overalls, from her painting I bet. Yes overalls, and she looked adorable. Over a Stones t-shirt which showed she had taste in music. Her hair was in a messy ponytail, and her glasses framed her eyes. Very laid back look, something girls rarely do and it appealed to me. Damn, I have a hard time taking my eyes off her. Nothing more to be said there. I was stunned, plain and simple. I had two problems. One, I shouldn’t be this stunned cause she’s too good for the likes of me. I know that much already from the talks on the phone. Two, despite all that I had a girlfriend. Three, I need to remember One, Two, and to say hi or something to her. Damn… Just damn.