- Text Size +
A missed call from Sarah


AJ sat in the darkened movie theater, happy he had opted for a movie instead of a tattoo. On the way to his regular tattoo artist, he had lost the inspiration. So he called and canceled. When he had looked up from his cell, he noticed that he was parked directly in front of a movie theater.

It was one of those old ones. Not like the megaplexes today. NO, AJ couldn't ever set foot in one of those things without causing a scene. But of course he hadn't even tried. Almost afraid that he would go unnoticed.

AJ liked attracting attention.

The boys used to get annoyed with him when he was younger. Always saying things to bring attention to himself and detract it away from the others. He had always insisted it was just the way he was.

That was a lie.

He really did it to figure out WHO he was. Always hoping that if he tried just one more hair color or one more tattoo or body piercing, he would suddenly have a lightbulb moment and say, Ah Yes! This is the real me. The real Alexander McLean.

It never worked.

As he grew older, standing out had meant less and less to him. The only thing that mattered really was happiness. He had found that once he happened upon happiness, he grew comfortable being in his own skin.

Funny what love can do.

He snickered as he took another sip of his Coke. Love was so idealistic. So overdone,
he thought as he sat and watched the old black and white classic unfolding before him. Casablanca. He had heard of the movie, heard that it is was this great movie. The movie of all movie's. So when he noticed the title above the theater, he felt like maybe it was destiny that brought him to this place. Especially since he bought his ticket not five minutes before show time.

Had to be destiny.

He was all alone in the theater. So old that it didn't even have cup holders. He sat with his popcorn between his legs and his Coke in his hands as he watched. Almost enthralled.

After the show, he walked out feeling refreshed. He had made a good choice.

As he strapped on his seat belt, he looked down at his cell and saw her number. She had called, while he was sitting and watching the movie. Holding it up closer to his eyes, just in case he misread the number, he looked again. He smiled when he saw he got it right. Quickly he checked to see if she had left a message and once again flashed a smile when she had.

"Hello Alex. Just thinking about you and...well...I don't know where you could possibly be but..I don't know...I guess I shouldn't have called. Sorry to bother you. Bye"

AJ didn't want to take the phone away from his ear. He missed her voice. The way she always had a tinge of rasp in it. It was sexy. He had always joked with her that she could always become one of those dirty talk 900 girls. Her voice drove him wild.

He quickly dialed her cell phone hoping he would get her, but part of him wanting to get her voice mail instead. He breathed in a sigh of relief when he heard her message playing back. The one he had gotten so frequently in their time together. Only Sarah would be so busy that she would need a cell phone for her cell phone.

He just sat there and stuttered over his words. Not exactly sure what to say, wanting to use the opportunity to beg for her forgiveness again and plead for her to take him back. But ironically, he found himself hanging up. Choosing not to say a thing. He would try her later.

Maybe it was destiny.

Maybe he was supposed to miss that phone call. Maybe that was the best thing that could have happened. He slipped the phone back into his pocket and headed home where at least three more bottles of beer were waiting to be dumped down the drain...