- Text Size +
A missed call from Kevin


Howie had been on the phone all morning. He liked to conduct his business calls first thing in the morning because that was when he felt like his mind was the most clear. It also gave him a chance to focus on things. Things other then the waiting game he seemed to be playing with his record company. He was a patient man by all accounts, definitely the most patient of the Doroughs or the Backstreet Boys. But nowadays, he actually found himself having to bite his tongue when it came to the lax way his management were handling things.

This was his life!

This wasn't some little dispute or anything. This was hindering his success. Yet, no one seemed to care except for him. He tried to call several group meetings, tried to schedule countless conference calls with the guys but he was always shot down. Maybe some other time D.

He pushed those thoughts out of his mind. He had other things to deal with today. A huge venture. His name possibly attached to a casino in Las Vegas. That would be something else. He went to check his messages, To see if he missed any important calls, when to his surprise, he heard Kevin on the other line

"Hi Howie..Hope all is good for you. Just wanted to wish you luck with your big meeting today bro, I know it will go well"

Howie hesitated briefly before deleting the message. He decided he would save that one. It was nice that Kevin took time out of his schedule to call. Just to let him know he wasn't forgotten. And that was one thing that Howie always felt.

Forgotten.

He was the one, no one much cared about in the group. It was no big mystery. Sure he had his own following of older mature fans, but by far in the public's eye, he was the least popular. Always passed up in interviews, always overlooked in videos. Always made to feel like a backup singer. It grated on his nerves most of the time, but he never took it personally. He knew his high tenor voice wasn't conducive to today's popular music. He didn't mind being the harmony.

Harmonies are what really gives a song it's wings.

True he had argued with the other guys more then once to be the front man on at least one song. Sometimes he would get his way, most of the time he wouldn't. Either way worked for him. He was easy to please.

The most important thing to him was harmony, not only musically but spiritually. He was never one to enjoy fighting, as a matter of fact, listening to the sometimes fierce battles that would break out between some of the other boys would tie his stomach up in knots. He could never understand why Nick was so quick to use his fists or AJ and Kevin so quick to use their harsh words when something as simple as a quiet I'm sorry should have been enough.

But that is how he was raised.

He found that of all the boys, he had the most in common with Brian. Which was funny because only those closest to the inner circle of Backstreet ever really knew that. They were never best friends or anything, but their parents shared the same values, which had kept them up late at night on more than one occasion. Comparing notes and worrying about the ones who had lesser upbringings.

He and Brian had really ended up going in two different directions though. He smiled just trying to mentally picture Brian changing his sons diaper.

They had all grown up together.

It was neat. He was the baby of his family and he never understood why his older aunts and uncles would fuss over him, still to this day. But he was the baby and he would forever be. So to him, being one of the oldest in a group, it was neat for him to see a different perspective on things. He remembered one day back in 95, turning to Brian and saying when are you ever going to grow up? After witnessing the boy eat an entire vat of Cool Whip. Stuffing his mouth with it until eventually he would start to laugh and it would come pouring out. That same guy, now a man, responsible for a child. Maybe he would see his son do that someday.

Then there was AJ and Nick. Two kids he found himself always worrying about. Even now. At least AJ returned his calls but it seemed like Nick never had the desire. There was a time when the boy never wanted to be alone. Now it seems that's all he wants.

To be left alone.

Howie rubbed at his shoulder, as he once again looked down at his phone, making sure the casino people didn't call while he was checking messages. Maybe they changed their minds. It wouldn't be the first time. There was a time, not to long ago, when being a Backstreet Boy opened the door to countless opportunities, now it was different. Now sometimes a door that was opened for him would slam in his face at the mention of his group name.

The world was against them.

That's why he didn't understand why they didn't stand united. Instead choosing to go their own ways. It bothered him so much, even more then he had led people to know. Didn't they see that by not standing together they were drifting further apart?

He once again clicked opened his phone and listened to Kevin's message. It was like the slow calming voice he needed to hear. He smiled wishing they still lived in the same town, his partying, club hopping buddy. They had a blast together. Going from club to club being treated like royalty.

He dialed Kevin's number, if the casino people called, they would just have to leave a message.

"Hey Kev, it's D...so how's it going?"