- Text Size +
A defining moment for Brian


Playing hoops alone on his half basketball court was just no fun. He missed games of one on one with his friends. Most importantly with Nick. He had been thinking about his young friend a lot these days. They used to be so close. He smiled just at the memory of this scrawny little kid following him around everywhere.

Brian was his hero.

And Brian milked it for all it was worth. He used Nick as an excuse to teach him everything he felt like his young charge should know, from how to do a correct lay up, to how to shave without cutting the heck out of your face. It had been Brian helping him every step of the way.

Their relationship started to drift as any relationship naturally would. Nothing bad, no real arguments or disagreements. Just a natural part of growing up. It had gotten to the point, towards the end of the Black and Blue tour, where they barely even talked at all. Nick choosing instead to spend all his free time with AJ. It made sense, they were closer in age to one another and he had Leighanne to keep him occupied.

But then the solo thing happened.

After the solo thing his view of Nick changed. He stopped viewing the kid as, well just that, a kid; and started to see him as this selfish immature pop star.

Only for a little while though.

He knew Nick wasn't really like that. He felt hurt and betrayed, heck they all did. He threw all of their plans out of whack. But did it really bother Brian that much? The answer was no. It didn't. Truth was, with the time off, he was going to be able to spend more time with his wife. They barely had any time to themselves. He was sure Leighanne would be more than happy about it.

She wasn't.

She reminded Brian right then and there how much money they would be out because of that little brat's selfishness. Her words, not his. He hadn't even thought about that. the ironic thing is none of them did. Funny to think that yes though there were millions of dollars on the line that would be lost because of Nick's sudden decision to go solo, the guys were bothered more about his sudden personality change. He HAD to go solo. It was something he HAD to do. That was the only explanation he had given to them. For quite awhile.

It wasn't good enough.

Brian spent many nights simmering about it. Wondering what the hell was going on. They had all almost decided to go on without Nick entirely. The decision was made out of pure anger. Brian was glad they actually weren't permitted to do it. They would have all regretted it because one night sobbing his eyes out, Nick informed the boys that he was falling apart. That he would end up dead from a drug overdose or worse if he didn't leave for awhile and clear his head. He needed to find himself.

It was a shocking revelation. One that Brian was not prepared for.

Once the kid went solo, his demeanor changed. His attitude changed and though he always seemed happy to the public, Brian knew better. They all did. He was trying to be someone he wasn't. He stopped calling the guys then. Not just Brian, but all of them. Even AJ. Instead he started to hang around a tough crowd to try and enhance his nonexistent badass image.

Drifting Brian and Nick even further apart.

Brian dribbled his way down the court to the basket and dunked the ball into the net. After doing that he went to the bench grabbed a towel, took a swig of water and sat down. He was getting too old for this, He thought, and only after thirty minutes of playing. When he and Nick played, they could go for hours. Until someone, usually Kevin would literally have to pull them away from the basketball court.

Giving up playing for the day, Brian stood up and walked back into his huge house. Seeing his wife sitting there on a rocking chair breast feeding his son. She looked away from Baylee and smiled at her husband.

"My you are really sweaty sweetie"

"Yeah I know...hey babe, did Nick call?" He had left a message for Nick on his cell a day or so ago and still no returned call.

"No, why would he be?" The tone of her voice caused Brian to want to just drop it and walk away. He was tired of having to defend his every action to her.

"I called him a few days ago. I thought maybe he called but you never bothered to give me the message"

"Never bothered?"

"Yeah like when Howie called"

"I gave you that message dear"

"I know..I'm sorry" He said walking over and kissing the top of her head. He didn't feel like fighting now. He wasn't in the mood.

He took a seat next to is wife. Just being near her felt good.

"I was thinking maybe we could invite the Parkers over for dinner tonight" Brian was only half listening to his wife, he nodded at her as she continued, "I hear Dennis has not been faithful to Patty and I want to see if it's true" Again Brian only nodded.

His mind was drifting to his own thoughts and feelings.

Maybe the reason he had a hard time dealing with Nick's decision was because he wanted the freedom to do that as well. To be able to take a time out from life and say I need to leave to clear my head. Real life wasn't like that.

"And then I heard Paula tell Maria that Tony was drinking again. How horrible..."

When Nick went on tour, all of the guys had stopped in to see at least one of his shows. Brian ended up being the only one that never did. People, mostly the BSB fans, started to call him a bad friend. They were actually taking sides. Brian or Nick instead of Brian and Nick.

"Katie is getting so big, don't you think Brian?"

"Huh?"

"Katie..Maria's daughter, weren't you listening to me?"

"I need to go play basketball" Was the out of place answer to the quesiton his wife asked.

Leighanne laughed, "You NEED to go play basketball? Or what you'll die?" Brian didn't laugh. He didn't exactly know why he felt such a strong urge to do so, he knew it would be an argument, a struggle but his heart told him to.

"I'm gonna go pack an overnight bag"

"Brian what the hell are you talking about? You aren't making any sense"

"I need to go to Florida"

"What? I thought you NEEDED to go play basketball" She laughed but this time it was a nervous laugh.

"I do"

"Brian he didn't even call you back!" She was upset now but she was still talking quietly enough to not wake her sleeping son.

"Nick's there, I know he is. Howie told me he drove by his house the other day and he had like fifty people there"

"Then sounds like he has his hands full" She stood up and placed Baylee in his bassinet.

"I need to do this baby..okay? Please don't argue with me"

"What about our dinner plans tonight?"

"You can handle it. They're your friends anyway"

"They are OUR friends Brian"

"Then Nick is OUR friend too" Brian was hoping she would understand.

She was really angry now. She turned away from him and began to walk out of the room, "Fine! Whatever have a great time!"

"I'm lost Leigh" That made her stop and turn around. "I lost who I am"

She walked over and grabbed him in a hug, "Why do you say that?" Brian only wished he knew the answer to that question. His confession took him as much by surprise as it did his wife. But the words couldn't have been more truthful. He WAS lost. He hadn't felt like himself since he had been on break.

"How is Nick going to help with that?" her tone more soft and sincere now.

"Because he is lost too. Maybe we can help each other find our way home"

He hoped he was right.

Leighanne stepped back from her husband, maybe also taking a step back to evaluate the words he had just spoken. Brian had never done that before. He had never really stood his ground like that. He never won an argument before, with his wife anyway. He knew though, even if she was mad, he was still going.

Luckily by her small smile through the tears she started to shed, she nodded. "Go then. It's okay. I just want you to be happy"

"I love you Leighanne. You make me happy you know that right?" She nodded. "I'll be back tomorrow or maybe even tonight. If he slams the door in my face"

"He won't. He'll be happy to see you" She placed her arms around his waist and put her head on his shoulder.

And they stood that way for awhile just swaying in time to the soft snoring of their sleeping son...