- Text Size +
At the end of the day, I can sit back and smile.


Howie just found himself smiling. He wasn't even entirely sure why. Maybe it was because he had stood his ground with that business man. Maybe it was because he was going to start a new venture with his friend. Or maybe it was even simpler then that. Maybe he was smiling just because he was with the group again. As one whole unit. Not right that second mind you, because as usual Brian and Nick were running at least thirty minutes late, but very soon they would all be together again. As the Backstreet Boys.

It didn't even matter if they were singing, performing or churning butter, as long as they did it together. It made him sad to think that he could really count on one hand the number of times this had happened over the last two years, where the words business meeting wasn't involved. Just five friends getting together, maybe having a few beers and spending time in each other's company. Nope, actually he couldn't even remember one SINGLE time that had happened with all five of them.

For his part, he had gone to see them all while on break. With the exception of Brian. But even with Brian he made sure to call countless times to see how the family was doing. All five of them together in this room was going to be wonderful.

"Whatcha thinking bout Howie D?" Howie turned to AJ and smiled, "Just seeing you guys"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah" AJ smiled and nodded. That was his way of saying he felt the same way. He was so happy to see AJ looking healthy and happy for once. Sarah was good for him while they were together, but now that they were apart, he knew it was meant to be that way. AJ couldn't afford to be with anyone until he felt comfortable with himself. In his own skin.

Maybe he was finally ready for that.

And Kevin, well he was just happy that Kevin was there too. He was so surprised to hear Kevin, the one he looked to for advice and guidance, say he thought he was a failure. How could he even think such a thing? Kevin is a rock. Strong and dependable always.

And as for Brian and Nick, well he couldn't wait to see them too. He had talked to Brian recently but it would be great to see him in person. Nick however, he was worried about. He had seen Nick, probably the most out of all of them only because he felt a desire to look after the kid, and living so close to him, he would drop by unannounced.

It had to be around Christmas the last time he had more then a two-second conversation with him on the phone without being totally blown off. The thing is with Nick, he never took it personally. Just worried him that's all.

The doorbell ringing brought another huge smile to Howie's face. Now they were all together. But when Brian walked in alone, his smile quickly faded. He wanted to ask first but was beaten to the punch by Kevin, "Where is Nick?"

Brian gave a half smile. Not in a good way, in a 'why do I have to tell you this' kind of way. "He's not coming"

"What? Why? I don't understand. Weren't you just with him?" AJ asked sounding pissed off, but maybe a little hurt too.

"Yeah I was J, I don't know, as we were getting ready to come here, he said he forgot he already had plans"

AJ gave a throaty laugh and rolled his eyes. "SO what's her name?"

Brian sat down looking serious and concerned, "The thing is...I don't even think he is doing anything but sitting at home staring at the walls"

Kevin sat back and crossed his legs, "What's going on with him?"

"I don't know. We had a great time. Laughed, joked, played video games. The reason I'm so late is because I have spent the last half hour trying to convince him to come"

"Well, screw him then!" AJ stood up, "Anyone want anything to drink?"

Howie shook his head, wishing he had the power to do that. Pretend like he wasn't completely concerned about something when he really was. "Is he okay Brian?"

Brian looked over to Howie and shrugged, "You know D, I used to be able to read Nick like a book but now your guess is as good as mine"

"I really thought...I don't know. I guess I thought you going there would have.."

"Me too"

Howie sat silently watching Kevin. Being able to read his thoughts just by looking at his eyes. "Kev?" The older man looked Howie's way, "He's gonna be okay. He's just figuring things out" Kevin slowly nodded. Not really believing the words that he heard.

Refusing to worry about it any longer, Kevin changed the conversation, "So Brian, how is the baby? Walking yet?"

"No not quite Kev. We have a little ways to go yet"

"I know...He's adorable"

"No argument from me" spoken like a true daddy, Howie thought as he watched his young friend glow with pride.

He remembered when his sister talked about her kids that same way. The love that shined in her eyes. It used to give Howie goosebumps. He would do anything for those kids.

Anything.

He had decided that when the kids were old enough, he was going to start a foundation for each of them. Whichever cause they wanted to fight. Whether it be Lupus or something else, they needed to fight it with passion.

Helping people was the essence of man.

"Maybe we should go to him" They all stopped their friendly conversations and looked over at Howie.

"What did you say D?"

"I said maybe we should go there. To Nick's"

"What's the use D?" AJ stood up and started to pace, "I mean, why does he need a special invitation. If he doesn't want to spend time with us, screw him! I know I don't need him or his imitation badass attitude"

"Oh well said from one imitation badass about another"

"Shut the hell up Kevin, you know what I mean" Howie tensed, and there it was ladies and gentlemen. The tension. Thick like fog, hanging in the air.

"He's trying to find himself. What's so different from when you did the very same thing?" Kevin was getting into his defensive mode.

"Because when I did it I didn't put our careers on ho.." He stopped himself. Kevin raised an eyebrow at AJ's moment of Revelation.

"He is a grown boy. If he doesn't want to come he doesn't have to"

"I want that boy back" Howie said aloud not realizing he hadn't kept that thought to himself. They all looked at him curiously, "I mean, that shy..kid. Where did he go?"

"I'm right here" All heads turned to the door to find Nick standing there looking at all four of his band mates.

"Hey Nicky! How long have you been here?" Howie said standing and immediately grabbing the boy in a hug. He was relieved that he was here. That meant he wasn't out doing drugs or anything. And the sad part was, nowadays, he wasn't sure if that is what was keeping their youngest so distant.

"Long enough to say I'm not an imitation badass!" He went over and bopped AJ softly on the back of his head.

"Yeah you are" AJ joked. His way of saying I'm sorry.

They were all there afterall. The smile that had faded suddenly found it's way on Howie's face again.

Even if it was churning butter....he thought as Nick sat down next to him.