- Text Size +
What it comes down to, is the people you love.


Brian bounded over from boy to boy showing them all his latest family pictures. He remembered having them taken so well, with every click of the camera and cry of his son, he knew he finally had himself a real family. One of his very own. The photographer had mentioned, before even realizing that Brian was famous, how camera friendly his family was. He had even asked if it would be okay to showcase them on his wall for potential customers to see.

That's when Leighanne had spilled the beans and told the man about her husband's superstar status. He didn't seem all that impressed, but nevertheless, the Littrells still ended up being showcased on his wall.

There were five pictures in all, when they couldn't decide which one they liked best, they decided to keep all five. The third one in the series was by far his favorite. He was sitting in a huge wicker chair with Baylee on his lap and Leigh standing behind him with her hand placed on his shoulder. All smiling ear to ear thanks to a silly looking puppet the photographer had placed on his hand as he snapped the picture.

"God Bri, your son looks just like you" Howie said knocking Brian out of his memory and back to the smiling face of Howie as he held the picture up toward the sun to get a better look.

"Yeah I know, everyone says that, but he is getting Leigh's personality"

"Poor kid" Kevin said in a joking tone although, the other boys knew better. So did Brian.

"You should put him into modeling or something"

"Yeah, he could be the next Gerber baby" Howie and AJ were going back and forth trying to map out young Baylee's modeling career. Brian however kept stealing glances at Nick. Who was quietly listening to the conversation and smiling. You could tell his thoughts were elsewhere though.

He had been very quiet since he had gotten to AJ's; the only words spoken were the ones he said when he let them all in on his presence. "What do you think?" Brian had the desire to finally ask his young silent friend, just curious to see if his head was really in the conversation at all.

"I think you should wait until Bay is old enough to make up his own mind. That's what I think" He spoke from experience.

"I would never make him model anything" Brian finally said to Howie and AJ making them just kind of shrug and move on to another silly topic. "So what's been up with you Nick?" Howie asked. You could tell he had to actually work himself up to even ask. That made Brian sad. Was everyone really that uncomfortable with each other, that to ask even something as mundane as 'what's new?' took an internal struggle?

"Not too much, just relaxing" He got up and walked away before another word could be uttered.

"Is it something I said?" Howie asked once Nick was out of ear shot. Brian only shrugged. He really had no idea.

"How have you been Howie?"

"I've been good. Kevin and I are buying property together"

"I know, he told me. That's excellent"

"Yeah, I think so" His eyes once again went over to Nick as he sat inside, one leg crossed over the other, tapping his fingers on the kitchen table. All alone.

Brian found himself wondering if Nick was ever going to make his own family portrait someday or if this was it for him. A picture of him sitting alone looking isolated amongst a group of people that really loved him.

He was about to stand up and walk into the kitchen but stopped when he saw Kevin move next to their lost friend and lay a hand on his shoulder. Nick seemed to pull back a little but then smiled as Kevin made his way next to him. His back was facing the rest of the boys but by the look on Nick's face, Kevin was having a serious conversation with him. Even though Brian couldn't read Nick well anymore, he still knew when the boy was sad.

And he was.

He never took the time to notice it before, but there it was, worn on every once of his tall friend like a big metal shield. Brian was so enthralled at what might be going on inside, that he hadn't been aware of what was happening outside. Both Howie and AJ had stopped talking and were also staring into the kitchen as Kevin talked, hand never leaving Nick's shoulder as Nick looked everywhere but at Kevin.

"He's gonna leave us" Howie said after a few minutes of silence.

"You think?" Howie answered AJ's question with a nod.

"He isn't happy anymore"

"We're on break mostly for him. He better not leave" Brian had no opinion about it one way or the other. All he wanted to do was hug him. Take away whatever it was that made him change.

"He pierced his nipples" Brian laughed at the way Howie said it, like a gossipy old grandma whispering about something taboo

Nick's head suddenly jerked towards Kevin, which in turn made the other three boys lean in closer trying their best to find out what in the world was being said in there. "He's gonna get mad and storm out, wanna bet guys?"

"He doesn't look mad to me J"

"I hope he doesn't get mad and punch Kevin"

"I doubt it" Brian said debating on maybe walking into the kitchen for a drink of some kind. Upset at himself for even letting it become his business. One thing he had learned as he grew older, was that people were entitled to their own buisiness. Even if it concerned him directly, they deserved the right to keep some things to themselves. That was something his wife had taught him when he kept calling his brother after he had a terrible fight with their dad. All Brian wanted to do was get to the bottom of what happened. Leigh insisted they just stay out of it.

It all turned out fine in the end.

"It'll all turn out fine in the end" He decided to share with his friends who only exchanged puzzling glances with each other.

"I hardly think him leaving this band will turn out fine in the end" Howie said now turning his attention back to the outside.

Brian opened his mouth to speak but seeing his cousin get up and hug Nick before walking back outside made all other thoughts disappear. Kevin walked out and sat down at the table, turning away from the kitchen and focusing his eyes out to the pool below.

"What was that all about Kevin?" Brian asked when he saw that no one else was going to be nosy first. Kevin smiled, "Just stuff"

"Stuff? Care to elaborate Kev?" AJ asked pulling out a cigarette to the disapproving glance of Howie.

"No, not really" He smiled at Brian, "I'm going swimming, anyone else care to join me?" And with that he got up and walked inside to change. Leaving all of them kind of waiting for more. "That was SO not right" AJ said in a lisp cracking the other two up.

Brian smiled once again looking at his friend still sitting at the kitchen table looking lost but a little more calm, "Maybe it's none of our business"

"Everything is my business" Brian laughed at AJ who said that so seriously, like he was a Don or something.

While AJ and Howie continued to talk to each other, Brian made his way into the kitchen and sat himself down at the table his back to the others. "I'm pretty popular today huh?" Nick asked uncrossing his legs and stretching them out under the table.

"Yeah, well I guess we all kind of missed you that's all" Nick smiled and licked at his lips.

"We are going to go swimming, you coming?"

"I didn't bring a suit"

"Oh, well you can come sit by the pool at least"

"Yeah maybe in a little bit" He still looked like he was in deep thought. Brian wished he could open up that boy's head and look inside, but for now he chose to get up and get his bathing suit on. Just as he was walking out the door a blast from the past, "Hey Frick?" Woah that literally had Brian stop cold. He turned around and laughed. He could tell Nick was waiting for the only logical thing to say, "Yes Frick?"

"I'm Frack"

"Yeah you are, sorry it's been a long time" Nick laughed.

"Yes Frack?"

"That's better" Then he got serious for a second, "I just wanted to say...thanks for coming yesterday. It...well..it means a lot to me"

Brian stood in the doorway hand holding the frame and smiled back at his friend, "You're welcome buddy" Nick nodded.

When Brian turned to walk out he found himself nodding...yup, everything will turn out just fine afterall.