- Text Size +
I took one final look at myself in the mirror before finally venturing out to join my waiting friends. I opened the door to find Howie and Kevin sitting at the little table in the corner of the table and AJ still laying down on my bed flipping through channels. Kev looked up and smiled at me, "It's about time. We thought you fell in"

"I'm ready when you guys are" I said grabbing my long thin coat. None of them moved. I walked over to the center of the room, "Um...hello people...don't we have a party to go to?"

"Relax Kaos, Management just called and said they aren't ready for us yet" I laughed and threw my coat down on the bed purposely covering AJ in the process. We all got a laugh when he didn't even bother taking it off his head and laid there as if it was a natural occurrence. "I knew I was rushing for no reason" I said at the beginning of a yawn. "Gotta love hurry up and wait" D said as he continued to flip through a newspaper.

The scene reminded me of the many times we would be held up in hotel rooms waiting for the bus to be moved into position for us to make a run for it. I hated that, to me it was the worst thing about the fame. Running for your life to get from point A to point B.
The first time we had to do it, took us all by surprise. We knew we had a following but had no idea how much of a following we had developed. Lou and Johnnie claimed it was that photoshoot for Bravo, whatever the reason, we weren't ready for it...
~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*
We were told to sit and wait in the hotel room while they brought the bus around. I was restless, I found these days I was either so exhausted that I could barely move, or I was hyper, ready to jump out of my skin. Today was the latter for me. We were supposed to be out of here over an hour ago, at an interview for German TV. I still didn't fully understand why they interviewed us, since they couldn't understand a word any of us said, but I guess they still liked us right?

"Looks like something is going on out there" Kevin said while sipping on water. Then he turned to face us, "I bet there was an accident or something in front of the hotel"

"Makes sense, maybe that is why we're running so late" Brian said looking up from the video game he was playing. He was a little surprised when I said I didn't feel like playing, but like I said, I was having a very hard time sitting still today. "I ran over to Kevin and looked out the window, almost knocking him down in the process, "Gee, Nick watch where you are going!"

"Sorry" I put my nose to the glass looking for the police cars or an ambulance, something to make Kevin's explanation viable. "Kevin, do the police come out for accidents in Germany?" He shrugged, "I would think so. Why?"

"Because I don't see any, as a matter of fact I don't see an accident at all" I didn't see one but there was a crowd gathered. A big crowd. "Hey, maybe there's someone famous staying here" I said turning to my band brothers getting all excited. I had heard a rumor that Shania Twain was in Germany and was hoping we would run into her. She was HOT! I started bouncing "Maybe Shania is here!" They laughed.

"God will somebody give that kid a sedative before he bounces out of his shoes?" AJ said from his position on the bed. I couldn't help it, we had met some famous people in our time together, but nobody that I actually liked. I know that sounds bad, I don't mean it to, it's just that meeting Shania Twain would make my butt tingly. That's what happens when I meet someone really really famous, my butt tingles. Almost like it is numb. Yeah I think I will keep that thought to myself though. AJ could have loads of fun with that one.

"People are screaming outside" Howie said before looking my way, "Maybe your right Nicky, maybe there is someone larger than life here" I started to happily bounce again, "I knew it I knew it I knew it!" I grabbed my jacket and headed for the door. Kevin stood up and grabbed my arm, "Slow down there buddy, where do you think you are going?"

"I want to see who is here, I'm just gonna peek downstairs, anyone want to come?" I said glaring at Brian with my famous, let's have an adventure, look. He laughed and handed his joystick to AJ and wandered over to me. "We will be right back" I said as I opened the door.

"What if Lou comes looking for us while you're gone?"

"We'll already be downstairs Gomer!" Gomer was my nickname for Kevin when he started to get uptight. It was the name of my Mother's Chihuahua. That's what Kevin reminded me of when he was all stressed out, A giant Chihuahua. "Okay well hurry back!" I nodded as we closed the door, I could swear I heard him yipping. "Let's go" I said like we were on our way to Disneyland or something, "Man why are you so hyped up today?" Brian asked as he tried to catch up with my skip down the hall. "Don't know, just happy I guess"

"I'm glad, you know, lately seeing you this happy has been very rare" I grabbed his cheeks, "Awww that was so sad" I pressed the elevator button at least fifty times, it was a habit, you know, you press it until it opens. "I mean it Kaos, you have been very low since we have been here" I tried to ignore this little conversation, I was in a good mood. I was possibly gonna encounter one of the women of my dreams, I didn't need Brian to spoil it for me. "I have just been moody" I said in my best German accent, "Come now girlie man, let us go see the hot lady"

"That was the worst Arnold impression I have ever heard" Brian said through a smile as we boarded the elevator for the lobby. As we got closer and closer to the lobby, you could here the girls screaming, this bummed me out. Girls wouldn't be screaming for Shania, no it was probably a guy. Eh, if it was a super famous guy though that would be cool. Maybe Brian and I could get our pictures taken with him. Add a nice photo in the Backstreet Boys scrapbook.

The elevator door opened and the rest happened very fast. Brian and I were just about to step off the elevator when the girls who were waiting in the lobby turned our way, One of them had my face on a poster with I love Nick written underneath. She screamed which set off a chain reaction, suddenly there were fifty girls running towards the elevator, screaming for us. Screaming for us? It felt like a dream, at the moment more like a nightmare. I screamed in a panic and started to hit any button I could to get the doors to close, by now Brian had joined me in screaming. The girls were almost at the elevator one of them even putting their hand in the car, so what did I do? Being the boy who is so brave and smart? I hit her hand until she let go. Then the doors closed and we were safe.

Brian and I looked at each other not sure what that was all about. I think we were both in shock. The elevator door opened and in silence we walked all the way back to the hotel room.

"Who was it?" Howie asked as we both walked in and sat down, still not saying anything. "Well?"

"Everything alright? Did you get caught? I knew you were gonna get in trouble" Kevin yipped form the window. Howie tried again this time tapping my shoulder, "Nicky? Who was down there?"

"Nobody" I stared at Brian and he seemed as amazed as me. He continued where I left off, "I think those people are here..for ...us" AJ snorted, "No freakin way!"

"When we got down there, girls had signs saying I love Nick"

"What other band has a Nick in it?" I asked, I lived in the state of denial, "Nick come on, they had your face on the poster, those people were screaming for us." Suddenly Brian's shocked face turned into a grin, "Oh my God, that was for us" You could tell he had a light bulb moment.

"Do you mean to tell me, that entire crowd out there is for us?" AJ said jumping up and running to the window, he seemed to catch my energy suddenly. Both Brian and I nodded, "That's impossible, isn't it?"

"How the hell do we get out of here then? If there a ton of fans out there waiting for us?" yip! yip! yip! "Kevin take a minute to think about this, those people are there for us!" Then I felt it too, I was so excited but yet the biggest feeling of uneasiness swept over me. Why us? This brings things to a whole new level now. My face was on that poster. How weird is that?

We were in the midst of trying to absorb this strange concept. It shouldn't have been that strange because we encountered screaming girls everywhere we went. It's just that they were never anywhere but the venue or the studio, and even so, ten maybe fifteen at the tops. Lou and Johnnie walked in, "Hello boys I think we're ready to move."

"Did you see that huge crowd?" Kevin asked him pointing to the window. The grin on Lou's face was his answer but he found himself going to look out the window anyway. "Isn't it great? You have arrived gentlemen. This is the first of many many moments you will remember. Take it all in boys, take it all in"

I had Lou's words ringing in my ears as the elevator doors opened into the lobby. There were a few security guards trying to hold the screaming girls at bay. My heart raced as we walked through the huge crowd. Girls were trying to grab at my clothes, grabbing for anything they could get their hands on. A girl managed to get a chunk of AJ's hair as he walked. He cried out in pain as Kevin tried to pry her hands off of him. I was too busy watching all that excitement to realize that a few girls where right behind me, When I heard them scream I turned which is all they needed to succeed in knocking me to the floor. Next thing I knew three girls were on top of me screaming. I started to scream in a panic. They weren't even looking at me, they were just screaming. Finally security managed to get them off of me and grabbing me by the collar, the guy walked me out the door.

When we got into the bus, those girls who where inside screaming at us, had now ran outside and began to bang on the bus. All we could do was stand there and watch in disbelief. None of us were smiling or jumping for joy. Funny, it was a different reaction from what I pictured. It's like it hit us, our fame, our popularity, our spotlight, like a ton of bricks. The first time any of us had experienced it. We stood in awe just watching these girls crying and banging on the windows wondering what made us worthy of all of that? I wonder if that is what Shania felt like.