- Text Size +
I stood there posing for some more pictures. Kevin had all four of us hugging tightly while he snapped picture after picture of us. "Who do you think you are Kev?" Brian asked, "Fritz Afforblatt?" We all laughed.

Truth is, I liked being in my friends embrace. It felt good, natural. Like it was meant to be. I think this whole journey has been meant to be. The good, the bad, the weird, the sad. All of it happened for a reason. I have learned so much over the last ten years. So much more than I could have sitting in a boring classroom in Florida.


So what are those things? Good question I think to myself as once again I am posing for a picture. This time it's Howie taking one of Brian and I in a goofy pose. He managed to jump up on my back and stick his fingers in his nose.


"Oh good one Brian, your son would be soo proud" Kevin jokes.


"Of course he would be, because I am the coolest Dad in the world" I smile and think Yeah Brian you're right.


I sink back into my thoughts. Smiling at myself because I am never this reflective. So what have I learned in my ten years? Well, for one, never trust someone who so fast and enthusiastically let's you call him Poppa. Big Poppa. Never say yes to things you don't fully understand. People who don't know you, no matter how sincere they sound, no matter how loudly they may shout your name, don't know you enough to love you.


"Nick" I look over to Howie who is now holding the camera and motioning for me to take it from him. I guess it's my turn to take some pictures. They all gather together, arms wrapped around one another and I say "Smile" They all do, I snap the first picture.


Know who your friends are. I think that is another thing I learned from this little journey of mine. People pretend to be your friends, they act like they would do anything for you but it is only a very few who actually will. That is a life lesson. A lesson that these four guys have really taught me. "Okay make a goofy pose" I say to them and they make their signature stupid faces, of course Howie winks and Brian once again finds his finger up his nose. AJ sticks his tongue out and Kevin wiggles his eyebrows.


Did you notice people do anything you tell them to when you are holding a camera?


What else? What else? I guess most importantly, that I can do this. I suits me just fine. Most of the time.


"Well guys? Are you ready?" Kevin asked taking the camera out of my hands.


"Yup, let's party" AJ said clapping his hands together in an excited gesture.


"Guys, before we go, let's talk for a second" Kevin said in his serious, we need to take it all in voice


We all stood there and looked at him. He had that look about him, that same look he had all those years ago. So serious, yet level. "I just wanted to say we have come a long way. Think about it for a minute. We started out as this little group and wound up here. What a ride"


"It's been a pleasure" Howie added. "It really has"


"They are probably waiting for us guys we should go" Brian said as he walked to the door. We followed and turned off the light. I was the last one out. I looked at the empty room and took a deep breath, So many memories...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
As we pulled away from our hotel in Germany I smiled as I watched it vanish from my site. It was hell, this trip, but it was also one of the most important ones I could ever hope to take, and now that it is over, I kind of didn't want it to end.


"What's wrong?" Brian placed his hand on my shoulder. I turned to him and smiled.


"Nothing"


"You sure?"


"Yup"


"Well, I'm really glad I'm going home. I missed my family"


"I did too" I said, but had to hesitate a minute before actually saying it out loud.


We sat together in silence up until we reached the airport. "Brian?"


"Yeah Nick?"


"What do you think is gonna happen to us now?" He looked over to me again and shrugged. "No clue, we'll have to wait and see I guess" He said. Seemed like a good enough answer.


"Well, no matter what happens, if it all ends tomorrow, I love you guys" I said really loud so they all could hear me.


"Thanks little man. Same to you" Kevin answered. The rest just smiled. Maybe they didn't feel the same way? Or maybe they thought it was a silly thing to say. Not sure, but for me, it felt like the right thing to say at the time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~**~*~*~~*~*~*~
The elevator door opened up and we boarded."Hey guys" They all looked at me, "I just wanted to say, no matter what happens, if it all ends tomorrow, I love you guys"


"Thanks little man" Kevin said, the rest just smiled. I didn't have to wonder if they felt the same way or not, I knew they did. They always have.


Suddenly with a jolt, the car stopped.


"Uh-oh"


"That did not just stop did it?"


"Yes AJ it did"


"Uh-oh"


"Nick stop saying that"


"Sorry Kevin"


"Brian press the buttons"


"They aren't doing anything, I think we're stuck"


"Uh-oh"


"Shut up Nick!"


"What do we do?" I asked Kevin. Why not? He always seemed to have an answer to that question.


"Press the button again Brian" He kept pressing but still, nothing.


"Oh yeah, happy anniversary everyone! Here's to another ten years" AJ said holding up his hand and toasting to the elevator's ceiling.


"Okay this is what we do!" Kevin said moving to the center. Now here comes the entertainment.


"I'm gonna give AJ a boost and he is gonna stick his head out the trap door in the ceiling and yell for help"


"Excuse me? AJ is NOT sticking his head anywhere sorry to disappoint you"


"Stop talking about yourself in third person. Okay then Brian"


"Fine" He said walking over and letting Kevin boost him up. He pushed the trap door out of the way and placed his arms on the outside.


"Kevin"


"Yeah?"


"What if it starts moving?"


"Then jump back in" Just as he said that the elevator moved making Brian's legs flail and in the process kicking Howie in the nose.


"Ouch, crap why me?" He said holding his now bloody nose. Kevin forgetting he was holding his cousin up, moved away to look at Howie's nose. Leaving poor Brian dangling in the air.


"Help!" He cried which sent me to his aid, I grabbed his legs and he fell to the floor landing on top of me.


That is when the door opened.


As people were waiting to snap our picture, getting off the elevator and into the party, Kevin was holding Howie's nose, Brian was lying on top of me on the floor while I laughed hysterically and AJ continued to hold his imaginary cup in the air.


"HAPPY ANNIVERS...WHAT THE HELL?"


Yup some things would never change I suppose. Our lives result in total chaos 24/7 but would I really want it any other way?

The end