- Text Size +
Fatima. I hope she comes to our party tonight. I know we invited her. I miss seeing her everyday. I don't miss the dancing though. That's for damn sure. A knock on my door pulled me out of my memories long enough to realize I still haven't fully gotten myself dressed. I run over and put on the complimentary robe and make my way over to the door.

"Who is it?" I wish there were peep holes in these doors. I never quite know what to expect on the other side when I stay at hotels.

"Hey, it's me..well actually us. Can we come in please?" I open the door to Brian and his little son.

"Hello, and hello little B man" I say grabbing Bailey's hand and gently tickling his palm. He laughs and I kiss his cheek.

"What's going on?" I ask my band mate.

"Not much, hey can I ask you a big favor?"

"Sure"

"Can you watch Bailey for a little bit? Leighanne said that press people are coming up to interview the two of us and I don't want to subject him to that"

"Wow, I'm impressed. I feel so important. You picked me?" Brian laughed

"Well, actually I asked Kevin and Kristin but they were going out to get outfits for tonight, and AJ and Sarah weren't in. Howie was busy and so was Mike, Jennifer, Katie and.."

"Okay I get it! I'm your last hope" I rolled my eyes at him and grabbed Bailey out of his daddy's arms.

"Thanks Nick. It will only be for 30 minutes at the most. I promise. Here is his diaper bag.."

"Pardon?"

"Diaper bag you know just in case he poops" Brian got a kick out of the expression on my face.

"Don't worry, He just pooped a little while ago. You should be safe." Brian lovingly kissed the top of his son's head.

"I will be right back okay? Uncle Nicky will take care of you. Love you Bailey." He kissed him. I laughed.

"What is so funny? Can't a man bond with his son?"

"Yeah but the fact that you are a dad. It's crazy! I mean it's you. How weird is that?" He laughed at me.

"I know, sometimes I'm scared about that too." He gave his son a final kiss and then winked at me.

The five month old just laid quietly in my arms looking up at me. He so much looked like Brian. this must be exactly how B looked when he was little.

"Hey buddy, no pooping on uncle Nick okay? Save it for your daddy" He smiled. Did he understand me? No way.

We walked over to my bed and I sat down rocking him. I want one of these things one day. Brain a daddy, who would have thought it. Surely not me. When I think of Brian I think of...
****************************************
"What are you doing?" I asked him as he came running into the room. Brian just laughed and ducked his head by the door to listen for footsteps.

"Brian"

"Shh" He pulled me down next to him.

"Just wait" He said. Then I heard the shrill scream. I laughed.

"What did you do to Howie?" I asked him. He smiled the most sinister smile I have ever seen. Then Howie banged on our door. Brian ran for his bed and jumped down grabbing a magazine off the nightstand. I opened up the door to find Howie a grown man wearing a pair of antlers on his head. I totally lost it. Brian never looked up.

"What the hell is this?" He asked me pushing me into the room.

"Uh it kind of looks like Rudolph to me" I said. That didn't help.

"Brian?" He innocently looked up from his magazine.

"Yeah D" Howie pointed to his head.

"Oh there nice, I think you should wear them to the show." He looked back down. Brian was a master. I could learn so much from this boy.

"Nick you care to explain?" huh?

"What? Why you are wearing antlers? I wish I knew Howie" I laughed again. I couldn't help it. He looked ridiculous.

"Do you know how much it is gonna hurt to get these stupid things off?" I was confused.

"Why don't you just pull them off?" I asked innocently. I could see Brian smirking from behind his magazine.

"Because Nick they are glued in place! but you knew that didn't you?" I screamed with laughter.

"This isn't funny Nick! I know you are only fifteen but do you think you can be a little mature here?" Oh my God that was the best. Serious..hey wait a minute what did he just say?

"D, I didn't do it"

"Oh sure you didn't. This has your name written all over it!" Then in a moment of sheer blondness, I turned to Brian and asked him.

"Did you write my name on those things?" I saw Brian loose it behind the magazine but he remained calm.

"Brian, did you do this?" He looked up at Howie and with an incredibly straight face just shook his head no.

"I didn't think so, so Nick what are you gonna do about this?" He asked me once again pointing to his antlers. I laughed I tried not to but it was impossible.

"This isn't funny Nick. You have to stop doing crap like this."

"Howie I swear to God that I didn't do it!"

"Well, than who did? Kevin?"

"No, Brian did" I said pointing and laughing at Rok.

"I didn't do anything D. he's trying to lay the blame on somebody" He said without looking up. I turned back to Howie and shrugged.

"I swear it wasn't me Howie, would I do something like that?" He looked at me and stormed out of the room slamming the door.

"Wow he is mad at you" Brian said with a huge grin.

"Why didn't you fess up? I shouldn't take the blame for this" Brian put his magazine down and walked over to me patting me on the back.

"Oh poor young Nick! So naive."

"What?"

"Nick laughing was your big mistake. You needed to feel Howie's pain become one with the anguish" He started doing these mock yoga moves. I cracked up.

"Brian, you are too funny."

"Yeah I know"

He then walked over to my video games and put them on. I sat next to him and watched him play. Brian had this weird hypnotic effect on me. I wanted to always be where he was. I wanted to be just like him. He knew that and took me under his wing. At first, I thought I got on his nerves, some little kid following him around. I know I bothered Howie and Kevin. Wow especially Kevin but with Brian it was different. We was peas and carrots.

"Come here Kaos" He said pulling me right next to him.

"Let's play doubles" I didn't really like playing against him. He was better at everything. I hate losing. Always have and always will.

We sat and played and whenever I made a mistake, instead of mocking me he showed me a way to do it better. That's how our relationship was. He helped me be better.

"So, what on Earth possessed you to glue antlers to Howie's head?" I asked out of sheer curiosity.

"I didn't do it" He said. Then he turned to me and laughed.

"But if I DID do it, it was solely to get us all in the Christmas mood. You know, it is December." I hadn't even realized it was December. This was the longest I have ever been away from home. We had been gone for six weeks straight without so much as a break. My mood suddenly changed. Now I was homesick. Brian looked over at me.

"Hey, what's the matter with you?" I shrugged.

"Okay, what now you're all quiet? What do I have to do? Do I have to glue a red nose on Howie next?" I laughed.

"I miss home" I said not looking at him. I was embarrassed.

"I do too" I felt a little better.

"You know Nick, it's okay to miss home. It's even okay to cry about it"

"Nah, I'm okay" I said.

"No, really I cried just the other night. I was missing my Mom and started to ball like a baby" I looked up at him. He smiled at me.

"You did?"

"Uh huh"

"Are you feeling better now? You want to talk about it?" I asked him. I felt bad that he was crying and I had no idea. We share a room for God sakes!

"No, I'm okay now. I just wanted to say it's okay if you feel blue and need to cry. I won't tell anybody. Even if I did they would be okay with it"

"Thanks" I said. That's when I knew how much Brian meant to me. That quiet little conversation we had. I knew I could go to him with anything.

"Nick Carter let me in this minute!" I looked at Brian with a sheer look of panic. That was Lou. A very mad Lou.

I opened the door and he came storming in. Howie walking behind him.

"What is the meaning of this?" I felt bad for Brian because I knew he was gonna catch total hell for this.

"Well?"

"If you don't need me, I'm gonna go for a walk" Brian said as he walked out of the room leaving me with my jaw dropping to the floor. So much for our moment.

"I didn't do it Lou. I already told Howie that. Brian did it."

"That's awful blaming your best friend for something you did" Howie said behind Lou.

"But..he did. I"

"No Nick, now this is what you are gonna do, you are giving up your per diem to pay for Howie to get these removed. You are also going with him"

"But.."

"No buts son, you have a photo shoot in less than two hours. This better be taken care of by then"

"But Lou I swear that"

"Okay there will be a car out front for the two of you in fifteen minutes. Don't be late!" He screamed and then he walked out of the door. Howie glared at me.

"Howie, I swear on my mother's life that I DID NOT DO this" I grunted.

"Meet me in ten minutes" Then he walked out. I sunk down on my bed.

I wanted to cry but for some reason I ended up laughing instead. Brian came back in as I was getting ready to leave. He smiled at me.

"So, why are you letting me take the blame for this?" I asked him, pretending to be madder than I was.

"Yeah sorry about that but I have an image to uphold." I rolled my eyes.

"So much for being there for me huh?" he pulled me back with a serious expression on his face.

"Nick, I will always be here for you but I don't want to get in trouble. Use your blue eyes and your little smirk to get out of trouble."

"Yeah I don't think that will work this time"

"Okay than I guess I'll owe you one"

"Ah yes you will" I said as I left the room.

"Peas and carrots" I said as I walked down to meet Howie the Red nosed reindeer...