- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Another Chapter, sorry for the delay. Enjoy and tell me your thoughts.
Brain sat in the school parking lot waiting for his sister to come and pick him up. Her class wasn’t over for another hour, and he knew she was going to be late. It was hard, he rarely saw his mother for more than a day, she was always off on another trip. She explained to him why, he did know. It was the only way she could support her family. After what had happened with Teddy she swore she would never marry again. Ever.

She had tried several times to pull the money that her late husband, before Teddy of course, had put in stocks and bonds, but it was frozen, they weren’t set to roll over for another five years.

“Hey Kid” a boy about his age walked up to where Brian was slouched over “What’s your name?”

“Brian” Brian replied.

“Cool” he paused picking out something from his pocket “you wanna cigarette?”

Brian’s mind floated back to what his little brother did when he was five ‘You can’t have that, it’s bad!’ he heard him say. Ever since that day Brian wanted to get back at his older brother, badly. Here was his chance. He nodded standing up. “Yeah” he said meekly.

“Here, try it.” The kid said handing it over. Brian stuck it in his mouth, and watched as the lighter came closer to the end lighting it up, he sucked in and almost chocked on the fumes. The kid laughed. “You’ll get it.”

Brian took the cigarette out bending over, heaving, his lungs hurt he felt as if his head had a shot of adrenaline.



“Yo Brian” Drew walked up to him slapping him on the side “Hey you got the money?” he asked, Brian was almost always good to his word. He would take his lunch money that he was given again, to exchange it for the kick he needed.

Handing over the money he watched as the white powder wrapped tightly in it’s sack was put in his hands, he stuffed it in his backpack, and pulled out a package of cigarettes, then searched for his lighter “You got one?” he asked looking up at Drew.

“Yeah” Drew replied fishing around his pockets for his lighter “Here you go.”

The bell for middle school rang “Stupid bell.” Brian said as he lifted his cigarette to his mouth watching as Drew lit the end.

“So hey there’s a party over at my house. My Mom’s out of town.”

“So’s mine.” Brian said sadly “Too bad, I have siblings. You’re lucky being the only child.”

“Hey I want siblings, then I can torture them” Drew smiled “Put honey and gum in their hair. The fun would never end.”

“Yeah, did that once. The twins had a fit and they had to cut their hair.” Brian smiled.

“You Boys” Brian’s third class teacher waltzed out to see them. You’re late for class you know that?”

“Sure, Mr. Deleon” Brian pinched his cigarette between his two fingers “but you know we’ll never come.” He smiled.

“You better come, I’ll call your parents up. Both’a yours.”

‘There aint nothing you can do. We’re not on school property.” Drew smiled cunningly.
….


Jackie walked into the main office, her son was sitting in the blue chair with his feet curled around the front legs, his hair was mussed up, and his old grey shirt that used to be Chris’s was now full of holes around the neck seams. She had nothing to say, except to excuse her son’s behavior.

“Mrs. Littrell” the principal poked his head out of his office door “May I speak with you and your son, in here?”

Jackie nodded, looking at her son. Brian reluctantly stood up and followed his mother into the principal’s office. “I’m sorry for his behavior. I promise it won’t happen again. I’m a single mother,” Jackie said pressing her hand to her chest as she looked at the principal who was now shutting the door behind her, he invited his guests to sit down. “I don’t know what’s gotten into him. I know, he’s had it rough, his father died before he was born and the man that I married shortly after that wasn’t much of a role model.” Jackie could sense her voice starting to go faster as she tried to explain why her son was acting like he was “He is a really bright child.”

“Mrs. Littrell –“

“He used to be a straight A student, his oldest brother and sister have been looking after him, because I have to travel for work. It’s the only way I get the bills paid.” She paused; she was going to blow a gasket.

“Mrs. Littrell –‘ the principal tried again using his hand to try and calm her as he sat behind his desk. Brian looked dully at the floor. This was routine, his mother would cry and beg and the principal would nod and agree, then it would happen again, and again, and then eventually he would have to be transferred.

“If his father were alive” she paused, she was using that excuse again, it was becoming repetitious, and Brian rolled his eyes at the ceiling.

“Mrs. Littrell, I am going to give your son one more chance to straighten up. I expect him in his classes and to have his homework done. If you need a tutor there’s an after school program directed to children who have special needs –“

“I’m not stupid!” Brian said sitting forward, putting his feet flatly on the ground in protest “I’m smarter than all those stupid classes you give me!” he hissed.

‘Brian” Jackie tried meekly “Please honey. He’s only trying to help.”

“I don’t need his help, I don’t need anyone’s help –“

“Just give him a second chance” Jackie begged, “I’ll talk with him tonight about it, will sort things out.”

“Ma’am, in all due respect your version of sorting things out seems to be letting the situation slide by. I’m not the first person who has requested your son be transferred.”

“You don’t know what it’s like” Jackie felt herself loose it, tears were now streaming down her face “feeding seven children, on a low income wage” she sobbed.

“Perhaps welfare could help you out.” The man replied.

“I’ve done that, It doesn’t help me out, I still have to work. I have to be away from my children.”

“Ma’am, -“

“This is a waste of time.” Brian muttered, “Can we go now.”

“One more chance, please sir. I’m sorry for his behavior. I will try my best please.”

“One last time” the principal replied unenthusiastically.

….


Once they reached the car Jackie stepped inside, and buckled her belt, Brian did the same waiting for her to turn the car on.

“Brian” she cried looking at him “You can’t do this all your life. I need you to take responsibility for your actions. We can’t move, this house is being paid for us. You understand!” she felt herself start to loose control “Don’t you understand this is all we have. This is it! You have this, this addiction, and it’s wasting your life away.”

Brian looked ahead, his mind was on his hands that were now shaking, he wanted his next fix, it was in his backpack though, and he couldn’t get it out now.

“Baker and Kelly are trying their best to help you. You can’t keep shutting people out.”

“They don’t care.”

“Baker has cut back his hours at work to take care of you. He’s moved back in the house!” Jackie sobbed, looking at him. “Can’t you appreciate that?”

“I don’t want a Dad!” Brian yelled, “You said it yourself. Dad Died!”

“It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make him proud.”

“I don’t know anything about him. Why should I care!”

“He was a good man, that’s why you should care.”

“The only dad I ever knew was Teddy, and he was a stupid idiot.” Then Brian glared at her “And you married him!” he growled.

Jackie felt her words stick to the back of her throat. She couldn’t speak anymore. She turned the ignition, but the car only clicked “please start” she begged, turning the key again, it started then shut off.

“I’ll walk home.” Brian said getting out of the car, he slammed the door behind him, Jackie watched as he disappeared.

“I’m doing the best I can.” She whimpered softly, looking at her disheveled face. She wore no makeup; she stopped that a long time ago, she couldn’t afford it. The lines of stress and sadness were what formed her face. “Look at me. Would you even recognize me if you saw me?” she asked, as she sometimes did. Wishing for a moment her husbands ghost was with her. “It’s too hard” she wiped under her eyes again looking at the empty seat. She sighed, turning away from her imagination, looking back at the key, she turned it again and watched as the car turned on, the engine had finally kicked in.

“Mrs. Littrell’ she heard a voice, turning she saw the principal.

“Mr. Dailey” she sighed a little shocked, looking at her window. It was broken as well; it was stuck in the open position.

“If you want to give that tutoring center a try, here’s the information.” He handed her a small card.

“Thank you.” She replied, “I’m sorry again.” She sighed shakily.

The principal smiled, then paused as if he was going to say something, but didn’t, Jackie looked ahead slightly worried then back up at him. “is there something else?” she asked.

“I was wondering if you would do me the honor of letting me take you to dinner.” He replied.

“I can’t” she replied hastily.

“My treat, it’ll be short. I’ll even let you buy something for the kids.” He said kindly.

“Mr. Dailey I couldn’t, it’s –“

“Please” the principal smiled “please join me.”

“But my son, my –“

“They’ll get along for another twenty minutes.” He replied.

Jackie looked up, it wouldn’t be a date, just a dinner, a good dinner, and he was offering to pay for her kids, it would be a treat for all of them. She smiled “Alright.’