- Text Size +
"Hey D"

"Yeah Nick?"

"When did you stop believing in Santa Clause?"

"What there's no SANTA?"

"Ha Ha...no really, when did you stop believing?"

"I think I was about 6 or 7"

"Wow, that's really young" Kevin said sitting back and taking a break from the erector set he was now working on. "I think I was about 12 maybe"

"12?" AJ asked through a smile.

"Yeah, 12. I was the baby and I think they let it go, as long as possible. I remember when I finally found out, I was so upset. I felt so betrayed."

"Are you serious Kev? No one, not even your brothers or friends or anything, told you about it before your parents did?"

"No AJ, truth is, I think we all believed in Santa. When I was a kid, we were more innocent than now"

"I know what you mean. Rok when do you plan on telling Baylee?"

"If I have to do this every year? Tomorrow" Everyone laughed.

"No, I'm not sure. Probably when he is maybe 10. That's when I found out. It's seems a good age to let them in on it."

"Yeah Brian's family had a little ritual the year they find out about Santa" Kevin said winking at the now blushing Brian.

"How so?" AJ asked

"You want to tell it or do you want me to?" Kevin asked Brian. He put up his hand and waved him on, "Okay then, Brian's family would have a huge celebration the day after Christmas. Invite the whole family over, minus any little kids. They would have to stay home for this one. And, we would eat a huge meal followed by a box"

"A box? A box of what?" Howie said now enthralled, by the little ritual.

"My Mom called it a Christmas box" Brian said now taking over the story, "and inside of it was one picture from every year that Santa paid me a visit. Including the final one. That's how they broke it to me, then we open a bottle of sparkling cider and toast my first step into adulthood"

"Aw, Bri, that's so nice. You guys are way too functional for me!" AJ said.

"Yeah, I think I am gonna start a Christmas box for Bay, stating tonight. He can see how well his uncles did with his toys"

"Good idea Bri"

"Thanks D"

Hey AJ, what about you, how old were you when you found out?" Nick now asked AJ.

"I think I was 9. I kind of figured it out before than. Mom tried her hardest to steer me away from the questions, but I caught on. I asked my third grade teacher"

"And she told you?" Howie asked seeming a little annoyed that a teacher would ruin the surprise.

"No not directly, but the way she stuttered through her answer and then that night my Mom received a call from her, I put two and two together."

"Wow! You should become a detective" Brian said patting AJ on the head.

"Yes, that's what I'll do when I get tired of you guys, I'll open my own private eye and be a private dick!"

"You are also a dick in public too!" Kevin added

"Hey!"

"Sorry but you know you walked right into that one"

"Yeah I guess I did. So Kaos, you have been pretty quiet, care to tell us when you stopped believing in Santa?" AJ looked over and smirked at the oddly quiet blonde.

"I never believed in him"

"What? That's not true, how can someone who believed in Gremlins until a few years ago, not believe in Santa?" Brian asked now walking over to his friend.

"It is true, Mom and Dad didn't have much money when I was younger, so they just kind of told me when I was real little. I guess so I'd stop asking for big things"

"Aw, that's really sad Nick" AJ said now giving his friend a sympathetic look.

"Eh, it's no big deal. I was able to play Santa for my brother and sisters. I made sure I never told them about it" Feeling uncomfortable about bringing his friends down, he changed the subject, "So, anyway, what to do next?" He said looking at all the boxes yet to be opened. The guys just stared at him. Then a smile brimmed across Brian's face. He knew what he would do for his friend, later on. Santa would be paying little Nickolas a visit...