- Text Size +
Jennifer began her way up the stairs that led to her dorm room. She began to feel nervous each step she went. 'what am i doing? You already have a successful career laid out for you. You don't need college. This is just a waste of time." her mind told her.

Someone bumping into her brought Jen back to reality. "Oh, I'm sorry." she heard the stranger say to her.

Falling to the ground, she hit her head hard on the cement. "Ow." Jen painfully said, bringing her hand to her head.

Offering their hand, the stranger said, "Here. Let me help you up."

Looking up, Jennifer set her eyes on a pair of intense green. Jennifer placed her hand into his. Without any success, she fell back to the ground.

"Are you ok?" he asked, sympathetically.

"Um, yeah. Sorry." she said, standing up. "I should have watched where I was going." Jen tried to explain.

"No. It's my fault. I was reading this damn book and didn't pay attention where I was going."

Extending his hand, he said, "Hi, I'm C.J."

"Stacie" Shaking his hand, Jen smiled. "This place is scary." Jennifer told him, looking up and down the hallway.

"Aw. Don't let it get to you. Is this your first year?"

"Sadly enough, yeah. I've been too busy trying to get my career rolling. I mean, my job." Jen corrected herself.

Shaking his head in slight confusion, CJ asked, "How old are you?"

"I'm 20."

"I'm 21. This is my 4th year. I'm finally getting out." he joked.

"Well, I'm not really fully here."

"What do you mean?" he asked, pushing her lightly to the side to let some students pass.

Smiling, she said, "Thanks. Well, I mean. I'm just taking a few classes right now. Not a full student yet."

"Oh ok. I understand now. You'll like it. I mean, college is fun. Especially the parties. They are so crazy here. There's one tonight, if you want to join me. As my guest, of course." he asked, winking at her. "Unless your boyfriend would mind."

"No boyfriend here. Single as they come but yeah I'll go. But first, can you show me to my room please."

"What's the dorm hall called?"

Looking down at her folder, she asked, "Where would it be?" Jennifer opened it, flipping through the sheets.

"Here let me see the folder." He took the folder and began going through the contents. "You know, you look really familiar. Do I know you from someplace?"

"Nope. I don't think so. I'm not from around here."

"Here it is." he said, taking a sheet out. Skimming through the words, he said, "Oh ok. You're at Mercury Hall. That's funny cuz that's my dorm hall too."

"Lucky me." she flirted.

Grabbing her hand, he smiled. "Let's go."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trish walked into the small room. It was rather plain. A little too plain for someone of Nick's status. Sitting down in the seat that faced the mirror, she sighed.

"Man, I'm so bored," she said to herself. "I miss Jen."

"Who's Jen?" she heard behind her. Trish gasped as she heard the voice. Looking into the mirror, she saw the boy plain as day. Dressed in a white tee and jeans, Nick smiled. "Sorry. I was ease-droppin'." he told her.

Standing up, she straightened herself out. "Um...sorry. Hi, I'm Patricia Cabrillo. Your new stylist." she told him, extending her hand.

"Hello, Patricia. I'm Nick but you knew that right."

Nodding her head, she laughed. "Yep. I'm a huge fan of yours. Well, Backstreet Boys. I prefer AJ actually." she told him, truthfully.

"Wow. You're honest. Well, I'm a fan of yours also. Actually I'm a fan of Jen's. I watch everything of her's and I noticed the work you do on her. She looks good so I thought maybe you could do the same on a man."

"I'll try. To be completely honest the only man I have experimented on was my brother Jeremy." she joked.

"Really? I'm sure you'll do fine. We'll see, I guess.."

"I hope so."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looking up at the number on the door, CJ turned to Jen. "Here it is. 122."

"Oh, good. Thanks so much for showing me to my room." she said, smiling at him.

"No problem. I'm going to go now. I got to get some things done before classes tomorrow. Meet you here tonight?" he asked.

"Yeah, that will be fine. What time does the party start?"

"Well, it starts at 7 but the fun doesn't start until about 10. I usually don't show up until then."

Extending her hand, she rose her head proudly. "Well, Mr. CJ, pick me up at 9:30 tonight."

Laughing lightly, he shook her hand. "See you tonight at 9:30." Turning, he left Jennifer behind.

Jennifer inhaled a deep breath and knocked on the door. Shuffling was heard within the room.

"Coming." she heard on the other end. To say Jennifer was nervous was an understatement. She was terrified. Who could be her roommate? What if she got the roommate from hell? She would never be able to deal. She could always transfer to another room. But were there rooms left?

The door opened to reveal a bi-racial beauty.

Instantly, Jennifer thought, "Great. A bitch."

"Hey, you must be the roommate." the girl said.

"That's me."

Motioning Jennifer in, the girl said, "Come on in. This is your room too. Settle in. I'm Olivia Bryant."

"Stacie Martin"

"Nice to meet you."

Jennifer looked around the room and smiled. The room was a nice size room with shelves that lined the walls. Two beds faced each other with nightstands to match. Two dressers stood on each side of one of the beds. A desk stood beside the other bed. The wall length closet appeared opposite the door. Jennifer was impressed. She didn't expect the room to be glorious or anything she was used to.

"I didn't unpack anything until you arrived. I wanted to wait until you got here so you could choose which side you wanted." Olivia told her.

"Oh, I don't care." Jennifer said, sitting her bookbag on the ground.

"Which bed?"

"I don't care. You choose."

Olivia pointed towards the bed between the dressers. "I'll take that one."

"OK. Then, I'll choose this one." The sound of a cellphone broke their silence. Grabbing her bookbag, Jen placed it on the bed. Unzipping it, she grabbed her phone.

"It's mine." she yelled, waving her phone in the air. Olivia turned and began unpacking her things.

"Jen" Jennifer whispered so Olivia couldn't hear her.

"Hey, baby girl. Where are you at?" she heard on the other end.

"Erik?"

"Yep. It's me. I'm at CU. Now where are you?"

Looking over at Olivia, Jen whispered angrily, "Are you crazy? What are you doing here? You're going to get me caught."

"Man, no I'm not. I just thought I would come and visit you on your first day. But since I'm not wanted."

"No, you're wanted. I just don't want anyone knowing who I am." she said, thinning her tone. Laying back on the bed, she looked up at the ceiling.

"I'm at Mercury Hall. Room 122."

"I'll be right up."

"Make sure no one recognizes you." she told him, shutting her cellphone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trish sat in the seat facing Nick, staring over at him.

"So, how exactly did you and Jennifer meet?" Nick asked, placing his hands behind his head.

"We met in middle school actually. She was looking for a seat and I was free. Sounds corny, I know." she told him, laughing.

"No. It's cute." Silence filled the room between the two.

Looking down at his hand, Nick spoke up. "So, when are you going to set me and Jen up? " he joked.

"You seriously want to go on a date with Jen?" Trish asked, not believing what she was hearing. Shaking his head, he looked across the room. "Are you crazy? Of course I want to go on a date with Jen. That woman is fine."

"I could call her right now." Trish teased him, holding her phone up.

Rushing over to her, he grabbed the phone from her hand and ran.

"Hey, give me my phone back." she yelled, running after him.

"You're not calling her." he told her, stopping. He held the phone above his head.

"Ok, I won't. Now give me my phone." she said, trying to reach for the phone.

"Go on and call her" he told her, handing the phone to her. Opening the phone, she dialed Jen's number.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hearing a knock at the door, Jen stood up. Walking to the door, the sound of the phone broke her from her stride.

"Olivia, can you get the door?" Jen asked, walking over to her nightstand.

"Hello?"

"No, don't" she heard on the other end and then, a dial tone.

Shaking her head, she threw her cellphone onto the bed. "What a loser?" she said, to herself.