- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It recently came to my attention that I never finished posting this story in it's entirety on the site lol it has been done for a very long time so i'm posting the rest now.

I couldn't believe I had let this happen. I'm a smart mature man, how could I have not seen the signs? All there right in front of my face. The worst part is, I went with him willingly. No complaints, no arguing.

Dave was the enemy?

I played with the ropes that bound my hands to the chair as Joe watched Nick on his security camera. Nick thought he was safe. I thought I was safe.

Funny thing is, I thought I was actually protecting the kid by going back to the house. When Dave called me and said don't tell him but there was a security breach we think. I excused myself not even getting to say goodbye to Nick because he was asleep. I even told the rest of the guys I was going to get some of his stuff and make sure everything was in order. Didn't want them to worry.

"Doesn't he look so innocent Kevin?" I looked over at Joe, scared out of my mind. He was going to kill me. I took a deep breath as he continued to speak in a calming voice. Oddly calm while he sharpened a knife.

"He's a good kid, I have always liked him you know. I mean he is a child trapped inside of a man's body"

He was watching the screen like it was a television and he had a huge grin on his face. I wanted to kill him. I once again tried to pry myself lose, not sure how I was ever going to get out of this mess.

Joe turned around to face me holding the huge steak knife in his hand. He came over to me and sat on a chair backwards. As if he was riding a horse. "So, this is what I propose to you my friend"

"Don't call me your friend. I'm not your friend" He pouted. Pretending to cry.

"Kevin that hurt my feelings"

I looked down at the ground, the smile on his face was making me nauseous. Now I knew how Nick must have felt. The urge to pee was almost overwhelming and if I became anymore anxious I was going to have an accident. Just then Dave walked into the room. I looked up hoping that it was a policeman anything but Dave, unfortunately I was wrong.

Dave couldn't even look at me. Wouldn't even look at me. But I made sure I stared him down.

"Oh David, welcome. Kevin and I were just having a little discussion, I was just about to tell him our plan"

"Your plan not our plan. I have nothing to do with this Kevin. I swear to God"

How could he say that? Wasn't he the one that brought me to this place? Lured me right into the den of the monster? How could he say he had nothing to do with it? When he met me at the door of Nick's house, he cornered me and told me he needed me to follow him. So I did, just like how I did so many times before.

Not even thinking.

He got me to walk out of Nick's house with him, even so much as waved to the guards, the same ones that could have stopped this from happening unless they were in on it too, and drove me out to this place. I didn't even realize it until it was too late. We entered the small apartment, I wasn't even sure what I was expecting to see. Maybe some death threats or something. I didn't expect to see him.

He was supposed to be dead.

"Okay then, my plan. That's fine I'll take all the credit, and by the way it's not polite to take thy name in vane!" He backhanded David before either of us saw it coming. He fell back and quickly placed his hand on his face. I think my heart stopped beating. I couldn't find my voice to yell even if I wanted to.

Just like that he calmed down. Moving back to the place where he sat before. Staring at Nick on the security camera. I wanted to yell to him. Tell him to get the hell out of the house. Nick was just sitting there looking lost, like a mouse caught in a glue trap. And there was nothing I could do about it.

"You are going to help us get him back to me Kevin" He said after a long silence.

"No way"

He turned his head slowly almost like in the Exorcist I was expecting him to spin it completely around. That's how slow he was moving. Goosebumps riddled my arms when I saw the evil smile on his face.

"Yes, you will son. It is God's plan. Nick will listen to you. He trusts you"

"No I'm not helping you"

"You are going to convince him to see my sister"

"No!" He got up and moved toward me once again, the whole time never dropping the knife he had previously sharpened. He walked behind me and held the knife to my neck. I winced as a tear ran down my face. Dave just sat on the floor watching.

"Who do you love?" He asked me. Ironically enough the only thing that went through my mind was our song. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to sing it or not. I felt the blade against my skin slowly burning it's way into my flesh.

"I said who do you love?"

"What do you want me to say?" I managed to get out almost in a desperate cry.

"I want you to tell me before you die, who is the one person you love more then life itself"

I closed my eyes feeling death in the room, hoping all the stories of being greeted by someone you knew would be true. Soon I would see my father. Maybe he was standing right behind me now. Although if he was I doubted this would be happening.

"Kristen. I love my wife" I closed me eyes and waited for the burning. Knowing it would be incredibly painful.

Nothing came.

Instead he retracted away from me. I opened my eyes at first thinking maybe death wasn't a painful experience afterall. Maybe it was quick. But I was still very much alive and once again looking into the face of a maniac.

"Kristin is a beautiful woman"

"You stay the hell away form her!" I said now really trying my hardest to break free from the ropes. This amused him.

"I will Kevin, you have my word. But of course that means that you have to betray Nick"

"I can't" I whispered now full on crying.

"Shhh, it's going to be okay" He said walking over to me and wiping the tears from my face. He stroked my hair, "I understand how difficult this is for you Kevin. But it's God's will. You do this and you will be in my eternal graces"

I forced myself to look him in the eyes. "God would not want me to let you have Nick"

"You're a silly boy Kevin. I know what God wants, you are just a stupid human who is incapable of understanding the bigger picture. If you don't do this for me and betray me, your family will NEVER be safe. My apostles are everywhere. And after I kill Kristen, they will kill the rest of your family. You willl never know when or where but it will happen. I now have 10 Apostles and now you have been chosen to be one as well" He kissed me on the cheek.

I looked over to David now understanding that maybe he had been through this same thing.

"It's really a simple request my friend, all you have to do is convince him to see Trish in jail. That's all"

"Then what are you going to do?"

"Let me worry about that" Now I found myself looking over at the screen. The cameras that were installed to keep Nick safe. He was still sitting holding the bible in his hands but now it was being hugged against his chest. He looked like he was crying. Joe walked over to the screen and pat Nick's head. I wanted to do the same I wanted to take all the hurt away.

"Why Nick?" I asked, "Why not me?"

"Because you weren't chosen"

"Please don't hurt him. Please" Joe looked away from the screen and back to me, "He is just a kid. He has his whole life ahead of him. Just walk away. I won't say anything. You have my word"

I was ready right then to make the ultimate sacrifice for the boy I had loved like my own brother. Ready to let him kill me to save Nick. It was the least I could do since this was all my fault anyway. Kris would just have to understand.

"Take me" I thought the words would come out stronger then they did but they were barely audible.

"Nope. I don't want you. I would kill her though. Besides other things, now you wouldn't want that right?"

"No" I felt defeated totally numb like I had not an ounce of energy left.

Just then I felt my binds loosen, as he used the sharpened knife to cut me free. "Now go my son. Go and do God's work" He kissed my other cheek. And walked out the door leaving Dave and I in the room both staring at Nick. I felt Dave's hand on my shoulder and I automatically shoved it away.

"How could you do this to me? To us?"

"You act as if you think I had a choice! I didn't he threatened to kill my son. He even took him away. Jesus Kevin the guy is a loon. He is going to kill Nick. Just face the facts"

"You expect me to just face the facts?"

"Yes, I do, or you will end up losing Kristin. He'll do it Kevin and you know what?"

"What?"

"He'll still manage to kill Nick"

"We can't let that happen"

"Look, I feel the same way as you, but if I have to make a choice between my family or Nick, I choose my family. Just like I chose to bring you here"

"I can't do that"

"Kevin...you have no choice" I walked over to the screen again. I would find away. I would.

"Now come on, we better get back before people start wondering where we vanished to" As we left I stole one more glance over to the screen where Nick was still staring straight ahead blank look on his face.

"Don't trust me Nick. Please don't trust me. And I'm sorry" I said now feeling so much guilt I couldn't even handle it. If he died because of me, I would kill myself.