- Text Size +
~ Memories...like the corners of my mind ~


I sat by the window, just watching the cop car. Why were they there? I fiddled with the piece of paper that I had placed in my pocket as I asked that question. I felt cold suddenly, as old memories of my living nightmare entered my mind. Memories of waking up in that basement for the first time after my capture. Feeling so lost and isolated hoping it was all just a big prank. The guys getting me back for years and years of countless pranks pulled on them. But that is when I remember turning to see my bodyguard, who I trusted with my life, standing behind me in my bedroom. He grabbed me and plummeted me into darkness. A darkness I am still trying to get away from now.

I pulled a blanket around me and turned away from the window, "So, when are AJ and Brian coming?" I asked both of my bandmates who were watching me. I have become a high form of entertainment these days. "Tomorrow" Howie answered. I nodded.

"Why do you think they are here?" I asked again looking out the window. "I mean I know what THEY said, but I don't buy it"

"Not sure Kaos, my guess is that they might be afraid of that maniac who killed that boy coming up this way"

"I'm tired of maniacs" I said my eyes never leaving that cop car. I felt a strong hand on my shoulder, "I know buddy. Me too" Kevin said as he peered out the window over my shoulder.

The men in the car saw us watching them so they waved. We waved back and decided to close the curtain. "Maybe we should go away. How about the Bahamas or something. It would be nice to go there and work on the album you know like we did before"

"It's not that easy this time Nicky" Howie said in a soft pitying voice. "You have to make an appearance in court" I looked down at the floor, "I know" I sad sounding dejected.

"You want to talk about it Nick? You can't keep everything inside forever. It's not healthy"

"Kevin, it's not that easy. I don't want to go back there again. Why does everyone want me to go back there again?" I stood up knocking my blanket to the floor and ran upstairs. I felt their eyes follow my every move. I felt bad about having a tantrum but they just didn't understand. No one did.

I slammed the door to my room. This is where it all happened. The night my life changed forever. He had gotten in here so easily. I was so dumb to trust him. I will never trust anyone again, not fully. I sat on my bed, remembering that note that said Surprise look behind you. I put my hands to my face, slid off of my bed and began to cry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I looked towards the stairs wanting to run up after him but Kevin's hand on my shoulder told me maybe he just needs some alone time. "He has been through so much Kev"

"I know Howie. I know" Kevin walked over to the window once again, "Having them here isn't helping matters any either"

"I know. Kevin, why do YOU think they are here? You don't think there is a copycat out there do you?" Kevin looked back my way, "I hope not"

"I don't know what to do to help the kid. I wish Brian and AJ would get here soon" Kevin didn't like feeling helpless but that is exactly what he was. Helpless.

I sat back down on the sofa, flipping through the newspaper. The one where Trish was being brought in for questioning. I made sure I kept Nick away from all that stuff but really I was just as afraid as him. Both Trish and Joe scared me to death. The thought that we had two serial killers working for us, always so close to us and our young fans, sent chills down my spine. At anytime they could've hurt someone. Broken their necks or strangled them or hell even raped them. I usually wouldn't allow my mind to go down that road, but I found myself frequently stopping there anyway. Did Trish OR Joe rape Nick? What did they do to the kid? I know we all tend to think the absolute worst and so many times, I came so close to asking him, but how do you ask somebody something like that?

I decided to open the paper and read the article. Maybe it would explain why there were suddenly police in Nick's driveway. I got two sentences in when the doorbell rang once again. Kevin was up and getting the door and to our pleasant surprise it was Brian and AJ, both here a day early. They came in a hugged Kevin then came for me. I exchanged friendly hugs with them. "So what are you guys doing here? We weren't expecting you for another day" I said. Kevin nodded.

"Trish" Is all Brian said.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't hear?"

"Hear what?"

"They brought Trish in for questioning"

I held up the paper. "Yeah we know but for what?" Both AJ and Brian looked at each other. I recognized the look. I didn't like it at all.

"You didn't read that article did you?" AJ asked eyeing the paper. I shook my head.

"Just tell us" Kevin said in his stern and impatient voice.

"They think well..how do I say this?..They think Joe was responsible for that boy being killed"

"But that's impossible Brian he is dead, I mean we both saw him! He never got out of that house!"

"I know that but they never found a body. At least that is what CNN reported. Anyway after seeing that, I thought we should get here early. We figured reporters would be everywhere but I didn't see a single one"

"No, we have some extra security they are keeping everyone away"

"Where's Nick?" Brian asked in a sudden panic.

"Relax Bri, he is upstairs in his room" Brian nodded his head and loosened up again until he heard Nick's shrill scream echo through the house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I pulled myself up off the floor and wiped my tears away. I was tired of feeling like a victim. I sat there between my bed and my dresser just trying to calm myself down. I didn't want to go back to court. I didn't want to have to see HER again. I thought that when I testified at her trial that would be the last time I would ever have to see her. Now it would happen all over again. Me basically explaining to the courts why she deserved to die, or live. While she watched me. Stared me down with a huge smile on her face. The kind of smile that said, even after I am dead Nick, I will NEVER leave you alone!

And did I want her to die? I mean she was evil, but the true villain was already dead. She was just his helper. Could I actually say to someone, this woman needs to die? Wouldn't that make me as bad as they were? Especially since I think that is what she wants. To die. It's all too much to think about. I don't want to think about it anymore.

That's exactly what she wants though. She wants me to think about her all the time. Day and night. She probably sleeps like a baby in that prison while I can barely rest my head on my pillow without hyperventilating. I hated her, but did I want her to die? I decided to get up off the floor and grab some aspirin from my medicine cabinet. The little crying fit gave me a pounding headache. I walked into my bathroom and opened the little cabinet over my sink. I grabbed the bottle and took out three pills. Popping them in my mouth I took a drink right from the faucet. When I lifted my head and looked beyond my own reflection in the mirror I could swear I saw a shadow walk past the door.

My eyes bulged and my heart began to pound. As beads of sweat ran down my face. Someone was in the room with me, just like that night. Waiting for me. Ready to attack. Should I scream? Should I run? Or maybe I should just run to the door and lock it. Maybe it was just my imagination. I saw shadows a lot lately. I grabbed the knife I always kept in my bathroom, ever since coming back from my prison. If someone was going to try to get me this time, they would be in for a fight. I grabbed the knife and made my way out into my bedroom.

Light spilled out from my windows eluminating the room in a cascade of shadows. There was no one there. I was alone. I sat on my bed, letting out a sigh of relief. Still holding the knife in my hand. Just in case. You always had to be prepared for a just in case. I reached into my pocket to pull out a tissue to blow my nose and once again that stupid piece of paper fell out and onto the floor. I would have just ignored it if not for one word that stuck out like a neon sign. I started to hyperventilate as I saw it. Mizpah.

I bent down and slowly picked it up and began to shake as I read it out loud
"My Dearest Nick, Mizpah Joe" I dropped it back down to the floor and screamed...