- Text Size +
~ KAOS 1980 ~


The district attorney came over the following morning. I barely slept at all the night before. I had things on my mind. Charlie, the D.A smartened up and didn't even ask if he could come over this time around. Just called and said he would be over within the hour. So I got up, took a quick shower and sat in my kitchen waiting for his arrival.

The two officers out front had switched shifts and were now a man and a woman. I waved at them from my window and they waved back. I grabbed some coffee and waited for Charlie's arrival. The whole house was quiet. Everyone asleep. It was my favorite time of day, the only time I ever had to myself. I used to be a late riser but now I get up almost at the butt crack of dawn. Odd, but there is something eerily calming about getting up super early.

Charlie got here to the house at around 10:15, by then Brian was up and just staring at the two of us as we went over our testimony.

"So tell me again Nick, was she ever sorry she did this to you?"

"I think she was"

He stopped and gave me a stern look. "No! Nick this woman kidnapped you, took away your freedom and killed a ton of people, now did she have remorse? Did you ever hear her say she was sorry?"

"No. I guess not"

"Good. Don't worry and just tell the truth"

"The honest truth is that I could tell she was sorry in the way she looked down at the ground when talking to me. She felt like she was caught between and a rock and a hard place"

"Nick, many people feel that way, but they don't go around killing other people because of it"

"I guess"

"She is a bad woman who deserves what she has coming to her. And you could help that to happen. Think of those victims, the ones who weren't lucky enough to escape like you did. Think of their families" I didn't like Charlie. He was out for blood.

My theory is, enough blood has been shed why make it one more? I didn't feel comfortable asking for the maximum sentence where Trish was concerned. I know she killed so many people, but it wasn't her, Trish could never do that. She was being judged on her brother's crimes.

"Nick are you even listening to me? If you zone out like that on the stand, her lawyer will tear you apart" I looked over to Charlie, if he was talking before I wasn't even aware.

"Sorry"

"Don't be sorry just listen. Okay?" I nodded. Brian was shifting uncomfortably on his chair. He didn't like Charlie either. I don't think any of us really did.

"So when you take that stand Nick, I want you to be honest and look right at the jury. It brings the point home"

"I know, you told me that the last time"

"And it worked didn't it? You will be called in a few days. Do you think you will be ready?"

"Is there ever a time to feel ready to condemn someone to die?" I know he would answer yes.

"I need to go, but oh I forgot to tell you, maybe this will make you rethink your stance, Trish's lawyer has asked once again for you to see Trish. I told him no way in hell was that happening until after you testify but after that happens, you will pretty much be free to see her of you like. I can't legally stop you"

"I don't want to see her"

"Then don't let her live" With those biting words he left.

"I really hate him" Brian muttered as soon as Charlie was out the door. "Are you okay? I know that was rough"

"It's only gonna get worse when I actually have to do it in court. Brian, I don't think I want her to die"

"I do, she deserves it. I would kill her myself if I had the opportunity" I was shocked by Brian's words. Did Joe and Trish manage to change him that much?

"I wonder why she wants to see me?" I could tell he was getting irritated that I wasn't as angry with her as he was.

"She probably wants to play mind games with you or something"

"Yeah, you are probably right"

"Don't go see her Nick. It will do you NO good" A sleepy Kevin and a wide awake David happily made us drop that conversation, although I'm sure if given the opportunity, Brian would have just changed the subject.

"Good morning!" Dave said very happy and chipper. We all grunted a hello back to him.

"I just wanted to drop by and let you know I changed you security codes. I figured you would rather have a different set of codes to ease your mind" He was right, that did ease my mind. He handed me the codes and I put them in my pocket without looking.

"Everything okay so far today?"

"Yeah but that stupid ass Charlie was here grilling Nick"

"Oh, is that why you look so flustered kid?" I nodded at David but I think I always looked flustered nowadays. Sad as that sounds.

"Trish is still wanting to see him" Brian said to Kevin as he poured himself a glass of orange juice.

"Well, that's not going to happen" He said. I had to smile. Kevin would always be in father/protector mode for me, until the day I die.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Joe watched as the district attorney went over Nick's testimony as if he was watching Saturday morning cartoons. He found himself laughing when the lawyer went on and on about how justice needs to be served. He drank the milk from his bowl of cereal and burped at the screen. He couldn't wait to get his hands on that stupid ass lawyer. The one who was trying to have his sister killed. "Maybe we'll have a little trial of our own with you. What do you say to that Nicky boy?"

What he enjoyed even more than the endless blabbering of the stupid attorney, was Nick's facial expressions. The way he stuck up for Trish. It's like the boy realized that he was meant to be sacrificed. Maybe he even felt bad for getting away. He had only wished that when the police came to visit yesterday, that they would have told Nick what exactly they had found in that poor unfortunate man's pocket. That will be something that will come out after Nick disappears. They will ask the police why they didn't give him more information. Ah well. Too bad for them.

Joe was still hungry so he searched his little cabinets for something else to eat. Was it hunger or maybe just an emptiness? He wasn't sure. His family would be together soon enough again. He grabbed some crackers and ate them, ignoring the crumbs gathering on his shirt.

"I would kill her myself if I had the opportunity" He especially got a kick out of that coming from someone as spineless as Brian. Although the kid did go into a burning house to find his friend. Gotta admire that. Wonder if he would be willing to give his life for his little friend. He wondered if they all would.

A knock on his door made him drop his remaining crackers and lift up his gun. He stood behind the door, cautiously. Ready to kill anyone who found him there.

"Let me in" At the sound of the familiar voice, Joe relaxed.

"You are late my friend"

"Sorry, I couldn't risk being followed" Joe eyed the man suspiciously. "Do you have what I need?"

The man scrambled through his pockets, searching. You could tell he was nervous. And he had every right to be, he was standing in the presence of a madman. He relaxed a little when he found what he was looking for. He took out the paper and handed it to Joe. Joe looked at it curiously and smiled. "KAOS1980?"

"Yup"

"That almost seems to easy"

"I know, but I figured I had to make it something the kid would remember"

"So, all I have to do is type this into the computer and.."

David finished the sentence for him "And you will gain complete access to his house. That code will wipe out pretty much everything, but be careful the motion sensors might still trigger" Joe held the paper in his hand with the gentleness of carrying a newborn baby.

"So, Joe...um..now I have helped you out" Joe just wanted the guy to leave, he had more important things to worry about now.

"Yes you did and my humble Father thanks you for doing his work"

"I feel bad.."

"Don't feel bad brother David, you did the right thing" David hesitantly nodded and looked at the screen. "Now you will not harm my family?"

"Your family will be safe from harm I promise" David nodded. He wished he could yell. RUN AWAY! into the screen. But he also knew that he wanted his son safe.

"You may go now, and remember David, don't go growing a conscience on me. I still know where Ian is. He is a beautiful boy" Dave did all he could not to just strangle the man. He probably could have done it and that would've been the end of that. But it was more complicated than that. It always is, so he reluctantly smiled at Joe, then turned to leave.

When David was gone, Joe picked up the crackers he let fall to the floor and continued to eat while staring at the screen. "Kaos1980" He said over and over again. While watching Nick laugh with his friends...