- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Plz R&R! This story is complete, just waiting to see if ppl actually like it before I post more and write more to the sequel.
Kali jolted up as her alarm sounded startling her from her sleep. She looked around her room confused, she didn’t remember going into her room, let alone setting her alarm clock. She slowly reached over and turned it off before lying back down and covering her head up with her blanket. She really didn’t want to go to school that day, let alone have to face Zac.

She really felt stupid for thinking that when Zac was telling her about the girl he liked, that it was her. It might as well have been, being that the only difference between herself and Rachel was their age difference. Both of the girls had long black hair, blue to grey eyes, the same body build, and both stood somewhere between 5’1” – 5’2”. Never in a million years would Kali have thought he would like Rachel. For the simple reason that from day one when the girls moved next door to him they never got along. So why would he start liking her now?

“Kalina time to get up,” Mrs. Porter said poking her head into the room. Kali’s response was pulling the blankets tighter around her tiny frame.

“I’m not going to school today,” Kali mumbled sticking her head out from under the pillow when she felt her mother sit down on the bed. Her mother gently started rubbing her back as tears ran from the youngest child’s eyes.

“What is the matter sweetie?” Mrs. Porter asked concerned. Kali loved school, and it was really not like her to try and fake sick or anything like that. So Mrs. Porter knew something had to be wrong for Kali not wanting to go.

“Zac and Rachel— they’re together,” Kali struggled to get out as she started sobbing hard. She didn’t want to bear to think about them two being all lovey-dovey together.

“Zac from next door-- your friend Zac,” her mother questioned wanting to make sure she had the right person in mind. Kali nodded her head slowly as she started to explain the conversation Zac and she had the day before.


“Damn Rachel—you look fabulous,” Rachel laughed looking herself over in the mirror. She was wearing a black mini skirt that seemed to perfect for her, seeing as it showed off her long tan legs. She had on a powder blue tank top that rose just above her navel, revealing her pierced belly and the small pink butterfly tattoos, one on each of her hips. She wasn’t like most girls in her school that felt they had to pancake their make-up on. She wore just enough to accent her already seemingly flawless features. Her look was finished off with her hair up in a messy bun. She checked her reflection once more before she grabbed her backpack from the bed and left her room.

She was almost to the stairs when she was stopped by hearing her sister crying. Curious, she crept to the door and listened to what was going on. It was obvious of her mother trying to console the youngest child. She became very interested when she heard her name brought up.

“Rach always gets what she wants; and now she has my best friend. For so long she never wanted anything to do with Zac. All of a sudden I can’t hang around with him because all his time if taken up by her!”

“Sweetie, you had to realize that eventually he was going to get a girlfriend and have his time limited. I’m sure he’s still going to have time to spend with you. Maybe it’s not as much as you’d like, but he’s not just going to drop you.” Rachel tried hard to hold in her laughter, if she had anything to do with it Zac would NOT be hanging with Kali. Sure, for materialistic things she got what she wanted, but when it came to things like the relationship Kali and Zac shared, she couldn’t even begin to figure out where to get that.

“You don’t understand mom,” Kali spoke softly. “She may be my sister, but I know what she does to guys. I don’t want Zac to get hurt. He means the world to me, and I really—really—don’t feel that Rach cares about him the way I do. And he’s a guy, so he’s not going to see what’s going on.” That last comment made Rachel so mad that she almost burst in the door and told Kali that she had NO idea what she was talking about. Instead she left the door and went downstairs to get some breakfast.

“Hey creature,” Jaekob, the oldest child, greeted her while sticking his hand into a box of cereal and eating it dry out of the box.

Rachel made a disgusted face at him when he offered the box before she spoke, “ever hear of a bowl? That is just so gross Jae.” She grabbed the bread out the cabinet and made herself some French toast. She had just finished putting her food on a plate and sat down when the door bell rang, “Jaekob get the door!”

“You get the fucking door,” he said walking down the hall to his room.

“Asshole,” Rachel mumbled getting up and opening the door to reveal Zac who looked like he was still sleeping. “Hmm—hey baby,” she said standing on her toes to kiss him.

“Mmm— you taste like--” he kissed her again, “syrup and cinnamon.” Rachel laughed grabbing his hand and bringing him into the kitchen. He was sitting next to her as she ate her breakfast when Kali walked into the room behind her mother. Kali didn’t even look at them as she went and got herself a bagel.

“Where’s your brother?” Mrs. Porter asked getting a cup of coffee.

Rachel swallowed her food before answering with, “after being a complete jerk he went back to his room, no doubt to go back to bed.”

“Jaekob, you’re going to be late,” Mrs. Porter said loudly going to pry her oldest out of his room. Zac took the opportunity with no adults to try and talk to Kali. She glared at him as she chewed on the bagel.

“Kal we need to talk,” he said ignoring the glares that Rachel was now giving him for leaving her across the room.

“I have nothing to say to you Zachary,” she said plainly holding the bagel in her mouth as she put her backpack on. She held her hand up to stop him from speaking when he opened his mouth to say something. “You hurt me, so don’t come crying to me when that one over there breaks your heart,” she said in a hushed harsh tone, biting into the bagel once more before leaving a dumbfounded Zac.