- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, so ONE more chapter left of this story before the sequel. R&R as always!
During the talk that Laurel had with Zac she was able to get a few things out of him. His true feelings were the biggest thing he’d expressed to her. “Who do you think is going to be there for you a few years from now? Kalina or Rachel? My guess would be Kali, just based on the fact that Rachel likes to use guys,” Laurel said to him. He just looked down at the ground the whole time, barely even lifting his shoulders in a shrug. He knew it was the truth, but he seemed to already be in too deep. “Z, you know that as soon as she gets you in bed she’s going to break up with you. So why put yourself through that?”

“I don’t know. I want to be with Kali, and being with Rach- even for a little bit- seems to be the only way to be with something even remotely like Kali,” he said dejectedly playing with the hem of his shirt.

“Rach may look the same as Kali, but they aren’t even close to being the same person. Rachel only cares about herself and her wants. Kali on the other hand, cares about others, mainly you. She really cares about you Zac,” Laurel said putting her hand on his knee. “She cried herself to sleep last night because of YOU. She broke down in school today because of YOU. If you really are dumb enough to not realize that Kali is in love with you, I don’t even get why you call her your best friend.”

“I highly doubt she’s IN love with me,” he whispered resting his head down in his hands.” At least not anymore if she was.” He added the last part in a mumble. He sighed loudly reaching a hand up to grab his hair, tugging at it.

Laurel stood up and put her hand on his back. “She was 2 and a half hour’s ago. I don’t think her feeling for you are going to change. You just need to see what’s right in front of your face! Kali loves you because you’re her best friend; you mean everything to her. Rachel only wants you because you’re practically the only senior guy that she hasn’t fucked. It seems like a pretty easy decision to me Z.” Laurel started to walk away from him.

“She’s not going to talk to me. If I try to tell her about my feelings for her,” Zac replied grabbing at Laurel’s arm. His eyes looked helpless. If there was only one person who knew Zac more then Kali did, it would have to be Laurel.

“Make her listen to you. She’s not going to keep pushing you away. She needs you just as much as you need her,” she smiled holding her arms out to him for a hug. He got up and wrapped his arms around his cousin. “You guys make each other miserable, but yet you’re happiest when you’re together. And if that’s not being in love, then what I’ve been thinking about love has been wrong for years.” Zac laughed at that. “Go tell her, NOW, before you lose your nerve.”

“Who says I have the nerve right now?” he asked pulling back slightly to look at her.

“I know you do, so just go and do it! Now Zachary!” she laughed pulling completely out of his embrace and pushing him into the house.

Zac replayed the conversation in his head as he stood outside of the Porter’s house. He breathed deeply praying that Rachel hadn’t gone home, that she’d gone to her friend’s house or the mall or some place, any place but home- he frankly didn’t care where. His hand shook as he raised his fist to knock on the door.

“Rachel’s not here,” an all too familiar voice said the second the door swung open. He held his hand up as the door was about to be slammed in his face.

“Good, cuz I want to talk to you!”